2016 Novelist Income Survey

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
While in theory yes earning out faster can be an advantage, since many books don't earn out at all relying and waiting on that is also a risk. Plus with a larger advance comes a larger investment from the publisher generally - ie. more marketing and PR attention. Larger advances themselves are a form of publicity (we all now know the Obamas are being published by PRH now don't we? :) ).

There are absolutely pros and cons to an advance and we all have to decide what's best for us. I will say though at least with the Big 5 unless you are already a big name a smaller advance for a larger royalty rate is not something I've ever seen accomplished for an author.

(also I know what you were trying to say but it was so twisty that it really did sound like you were saying one had to pay back an advance if one didn't earn out. For the lurkers: once you are paid your advance it's yours [unless you break the contract for some reason]. End of story.)

PeteMC

@PeteMC666
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
talonwraith.wordpress.com
Good gods, I can't even imagine how much work went into that! It's really, really interesting though - big thanks for doing it Jim!

Anna Iguana

reading all the things
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you for the survey and report, Jim. Really worthwhile.