Contractions outside of dialogue?

MisterV

Banned
Reaction score
I didn't see a thread devoted to this in the search, or in the stickies. Just point me in that direction if this has already been discussed.

Do you do contractions outside of dialogue? I've noticed some authors doing this. I don't find it distracting, and it would also save on word counts, if that's a concern. Most everyone writes in contractions, and talks that way as well, so it would give a less formal feel. Is this incorrect or is it mostly something left up to the author?

MrV

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
You won't have any trouble finding contractions used by many fine writers in narrative, outside dialogue, and in either first- or third-person POVs. Fiction writing is not usually very formal in style.

caw

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
Depends on the book. If you're writing an authentic Victorian-era novel, for example, I'd find them odd.

odysseyofnoises

Registered
Reaction score
It depends on the tone. If it's meant to be informal, then I would go ahead and use the contractions as I would if I were normally speaking because I think that sounds more natural; otherwise, things become too "rigid" for my liking. If it's something like a scientific paper, though, then I'd probably avoid contractions in an effort to sound more formal.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Depends on the book. If you're writing an authentic Victorian-era novel, for example, I'd find them odd.

This may be dependent on POV. Wilkie Collins, as just one example, uses contractions regularly in narrative in The Moonstone. But it is a first-person narrative. Third-person stuff might be more rigidly formal.

caw

WriterBN

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.k-doyle.com
I haven't read Wilkie Collins (yet), but you reminded me that I have a copy of The Woman in White stashed away somewhere. So many books, so little time...

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I'm currently reading a novel published around 1920 (South Wind, by Norman Douglas). It is a good example of omniscient third-person POV, and contractions in the narrative outside of dialog are common.

caw