A Question About Simultaneous Submissions

Luxtizer

Registered
Reaction score
I'm fairly new to submitting my short stories, and I have a question about the general practice when it comes to submitting stories to multiple markets at once.

Right now, I have a story which is submitted to a few different markets, all of which specifically say that they are willing to look at pieces which are currently being considered by other markets. I've also seen markets which ask that you not submit works being considered by other markets. Obviously, I'm not submitting my story to those markets until I get rejections back from the places I've already sent it.

My confusion is about what to do with the markets that don't make their policy on the subject clear. I've found a number of token paying or non-paying markets which I think might be a good fit for my story, but their submission guidelines don't say anything at all about whether or not they'll consider simultaneous submissions.

What should I do with these markets? Should I assume they won't consider simultaneous submissions if they don't say anything? Should I assume they will consider it and submit the story? Should I send some sort of query before submitting the story and see if I can get them to say whether they'll consider it or not?

Thank you in advance for the advice.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I would assume the markets that don't specify is fair game. If they didn't like you sending to other places, they would say it in their guidelines.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I'd also assume that if they don't specify that they want exclusivity you're good to include those markets in your submissions now.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I probably wouldn't email them. If they will only accept pieces which aren't on offer elsewhere they should say. If they don't you're probably good to send them simultaneous submissions. If you email and ask you'll probably wait a few months to hear by which time you'll have sold the story elsewhere and have moved on to other things.

WeaselFire

Benefactor Member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've also seen markets which ask that you not submit works being considered by other markets. Obviously, I'm not submitting my story to those markets until I get rejections back from the places I've already sent it.

It's been quite a while since I submitted to magazines (what I write for magazines now is solicited from me...), but it used to be that publishers that would not look at simultaneous submissions were the more desirable, better paying or more prestigious publishers. Not entirely sure it's true now, but my strategy was to hit them first and submit later to the simultaneous ones.

Jeff

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Good grief, blac. You are such a grump.

Denevius

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
I don't think most people who submit should worry about the 'no simultaneous submissions' rule. Even token markets where all one gets are contributor copies (which will probably be an eCopy) have a fairly high rejection rate. With semipro and pro markets, there's a less than 10% chance that you're getting an acceptance with an unsolicited submission.

I'm no mathematician, but getting the same submission accepted by *two* pro or semipro markets out of the slushpile has to almost never happen. It's not only the writing, but also a healthy dose of luck involved in getting a slushpile reader from two highly competitive markets to send your story up the chain of command. Magazines tend to have very dedicated audiences, and your unsolicited story would have to be so compelling that final decision makers at two separate competitive markets want it for their very specific subscribers.

If all of this happens, any concerns you might have from offending one magazine should be dwarfed by such an awesome writing accomplishment.

I think of 'No simultaneous submissions' for unsolicited submissions as a ploy magazines/journals use in the hope of shrinking the slushpile a little.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
I don't think most people who submit should worry about the 'no simultaneous submissions' rule. Even token markets where all one gets are contributor copies (which will probably be an eCopy) have a fairly high rejection rate. With semipro and pro markets, there's a less than 10% chance that you're getting an acceptance with an unsolicited submission.

I'm no mathematician, but getting the same submission accepted by *two* pro or semipro markets out of the slushpile has to almost never happen. It's not only the writing, but also a healthy dose of luck involved in getting a slushpile reader from two highly competitive markets to send your story up the chain of command. Magazines tend to have very dedicated audiences, and your unsolicited story would have to be so compelling that final decision makers at two separate competitive markets want it for their very specific subscribers.

If all of this happens, any concerns you might have from offending one magazine should be dwarfed by such an awesome writing accomplishment.

I think of 'No simultaneous submissions' for unsolicited submissions as a ploy magazines/journals use in the hope of shrinking the slushpile a little.

I disagree.

If you like a publication enough to want to be included in it, respect the boundaries it sets for submissions. Otherwise you're just behaving like an oik.

And yes, often (usually?) the rule is used to cut down the size of the slush pile but I don't find that objectionable. I've worked the slush pile, and know how overwhelming it can become. When most of the submissions there don't follow your guidelines, and are not things you'd ever be able to publish anyway, it seems reasonable to take steps to cut it down as much as you can.