Coming to a theater near you: made into a motion picture: About a Boy - Nick Hornby
No hablo: a translation: Love in the Time of Cholera - Gabriel Garcia Marquez
Rainbow warrior: with a color in the title: The Color Purple - Alice Walker
Still time for more chapters: memoir/biography of someone still alive: An American Demon - Jack Grisham Done
What you read as a child: a book I loved as a child: The Woodshed Mystery - Gertrude C. Warner Done
I’ve met them!: by someone I've seen in real life: Commonwealth - Ann Patchett Done
Be the change you want to see: nonfic about a sociopolitical issue: White Trash: The 400-Year Untold History of Class in America - Nancy Isenberg Done
Lol random: from Gutenberg's "Random Titles" page: The Discovery of the Source of the Nile - John Hanning Speke Done
He did drone on a bit: book over 600 pages A Strangeness in My Mind - Orhan Pamuk 43% done
Support the home team: by an AWer: Mr Katz is a Zombie - Margaret Lesh Done
Be your own boss: self-published: I Hate that You Bloody Left Me - Heather Hill 30% Done
Ye olde booke shoppe: written before 1700: The Romance of Tristan and Iseult - M. Joseph Bedier

Mr Katz is a Zombie is a fun read! Great poolside reading for a day.

A Strangeness in My Mind by Orhan Pamuk has me hooked. A one-sentence summary of "Mevlut spends years planning to elope with the woman of his dreams, but accidentally elopes with her sister instead" makes it sound like a slapstick rom-com, when in actuality it is anything but. It suffers from the topic we discussed above, where the first two chapters are absolutely enthralling, then the next 30% of the book only gets us back to the elopement. However, it works in ways I can't really describe. Pamuk (his Snow is one of my favorite books) shines at creating tension. The book is less about what happens and more about the atmosphere in which it happens. This is how I would like to write.

I noticed one technique that I really like, one that helps avoid similar characters getting mixed up: He introduces them one at a time, and doesn't name them all at once. For example, we meet Rayiha, Mevlut's wife, early on. We don't meet her older sister Vediha until shortly after, or the younger sister and Mevlut's intended bride Samiha until even later. I think the temptation is to throw everyone in together, then try to show how they are different through speech quirks or some other trick.