• No; standard AW image rules are fine

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying for ages to get a pic of rufous fantails. It's not that they're rare or shy -- they're just very active and tend to come to the bird bath in the late afternoon, when the sun's dropped behind the trees. But the other day, I managed it: Rufous fantail (Rhipidura rufifrons)

Oh my! What a lovely bird, and what a great shot!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've been trying for ages to get a pic of rufous fantails. It's not that they're rare or shy -- they're just very active and tend to come to the bird bath in the late afternoon, when the sun's dropped behind the trees. But the other day, I managed it: Rufous fantail (Rhipidura rufifrons)

That's a fantastic picture! I love it, you captured the bird's expression along with a wonderful feather display. :Thumbs:

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Beautiful bird! Thanks for sharing that photo!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Vancouver Island bald eagles raise red-tailed hawk chick as their own, videos for your amazement.

This is frightening and and fascinating at the same time. This hawk chick is something eagles eat. Yet the adult eagle is feeding it along with three larger eaglets.
A red-tailed hawk being raised by a pair of bald eagles on Vancouver Island is about two weeks from leaving the nest — if its three eaglet siblings don't kill it first.

Birdwatchers in Sidney, B.C., are being treated to the rare sight of a pair of nesting bald eagles raising a red-tailed hawk chick alongside three eagle chicks of their own.

David Bird, a retired wildlife biology professor who happens to live nearby, knows of only two or three previously recorded incidents like this.
The theory is the bird was intended to be food but wasn't dead.
Bird said the hawk chick, not realizing the danger it was in, likely began begging for food, and the eagles' parental instincts kicked in.

"What happened in this case is that the hormonal drive to feed the young, a begging young, overrode the hormonal drive to kill it and give it as food to one of its eaglets," Bird said.

Another video with great views of the cute little hawk.

Last edited:

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
Well, of all the days to not have a tripod in the car...

After a late Father's Day lunch, we went over to a local park to walk off a few calories... and saw a young bald eagle. Always cool - and hey, look! Another one! And what's that over there? Must be Mom or Dad. Hey, wait a sec - that's a different immature eagle... We saw round about a dozen individual birds, we guesstimate. One branch even had four young baldies on it at once. A birder lady down there claims she's spotted about twenty this year, an unusual number, especially given their transient nature (apparently, at that lake, there are far more transient eagles than residents.) My CyberShot did its level best, but I only got a few remotely decent snapshots.

Still awesome...

(Also saw a common flicker, a kingfisher, a few ducks, and a couple crows. And some idiot out there with his unrestrained African Gray parrot, sitting and watching the many eagles... yeah, let that one sink in for a bit.)

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That sounds awesome indeed. :D

Kingfishers in the local park? That's pretty great too.

An escaped parrot makes me sad, however.

Brightdreamer

Just Another Lazy Perfectionist
Registered
Reaction score
Website
brightdreamersbookreviews.blogspot.com
That sounds awesome indeed. :D

Kingfishers in the local park? That's pretty great too.

An escaped parrot makes me sad, however.

The parrot wasn't escaped. The man just had it sitting on his knee or his hand. Right out there in the open... no leash, no tether, no nothing... right in full view of a dozen eagles.

ETA: An unrelated note, but I can up the day's bird count by two ospreys. Just heard some "chatter" outside the house, and went out on the porch in time to watch a low-flying osprey soar over the roof to meet their mate beyond the treeline. What's up with the raptors today, anyway?

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
The parrot wasn't escaped. The man just had it sitting on his knee or his hand. Right out there in the open... no leash, no tether, no nothing... right in full view of a dozen eagles.
Yep, that's how people lose expensive pet birds. "But he's free flighted. I didn't expect him to fly away." Yeah, and he didn't expect you to take him to a place where there were large predators around to spook him, but here we are.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

I'm so glad to hear that.

I don't think an eagle would attack a bird on a person's knee. They'd have to be very desperate to do that.

- - - Updated - - -

Yep, that's how people lose expensive pet birds. "But he's free flighted. I didn't expect him to fly away." Yeah, and he didn't expect you to take him to a place where there were large predators around to spook him, but here we are.

Sounds like my beef with unleashed dogs. You may be right.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
I'm glad you're enjoying them, MaeZe. Wish I'd concentrated more on the photography, but I was too amazed by what we were spotting. Consequently, I've got a lot of very bad pics of very good birds!

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
No such thing as a bad picture of very good birds. Everyone of those pics reminds me of how much I enjoyed emus and trees full of matching parakeets when I visited your wonderful country. And the kookaburras, I grew up believing their call was some bird in Africa, but it was always Oz.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's another weird bird call I heard on Wilson's Promontory. Sounds like a space ship. Do you know which bird makes that sound? I've always wanted to know which bird makes that noise.

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
MaeZe, how's the bird hunt going?

I don't want to hog this thread -- bring us your northern hemisphere birds! -- but here's a(n underexposed) white-bellied sea eagle watching us from a paperbark. I would have tried for an even closer shot, but the paperbark was on the bank of a river and there are lots of big salties in that area.

And some rainbow bee-eaters.

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Birdy lurker here. The Ladylove and I spent the weekend on Tangier Island in Chesapeake Bay (You know, the island whose mayor, who goes by "Ooker," Trump called up and told not to worry about climate change flooding the 4-foot high island) and added about seven birds to my list.

I don't have a good camera for bird photos, so pardon the links:

We saw black skimmers doing their skimming thing. I wondered if they ever hit a really big fish and flipped tail over head. Otherwise they are as graceful and awesome as you'd imagine them to be.

The yellow-crowned night herons were hard to find in my book because the picture showed two males sparring with their feathers all fwoofied out. I had to ask our B&B proprietor what they were.

The royal terns didn't look like they had as bad toupees as these ones.

I'm not completely sure if I saw laughing gulls (which I hadn't seen before) or Bonaparte's gulls (which I had, in areas where laughing gulls aren't found, which is the only way I knew). So I called them laughing gulls and added them to my list :)

The American oyster catchers were everywhere. But I didn't let them have any of mine.

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
MaeZe, how's the bird hunt going?

I don't want to hog this thread -- bring us your northern hemisphere birds! -- but here's a(n underexposed) white-bellied sea eagle watching us from a paperbark. I would have tried for an even closer shot, but the paperbark was on the bank of a river and there are lots of big salties in that area.

And some rainbow bee-eaters.
OMG, your images are so gorgeous.

Backyard birds have been quiet around here lately. There was a smaller bird attacking an eagle yesterday, too high up to get a good look at the attacker. I usually see one hummingbird a day. They are so funny, they fly near my flowered shirt, spend a few seconds in a holding pattern then move on.

I haven't heard any quail families lately, not sure why.

I'm trying to decide if the regular chirp I hear from the forest might be an owlet now that I know what the great gray and great horned owlets sound like when they are begging for food.

On the bird cams, the osprey have had their share of tragedies, losing chicks to a shortage of fish, an accidental placement of a parental claw (suspected) and an owl predation. But there are a lot of osprey chicks.

There were two peregrine falcon nests on the cams. In one nest a smaller (late hatch) eyas had everyone worried because it seemed to be getting less food. But in no time it learned how to be aggressive and survived just fine. Not sure it mattered but the little one was a male with three female sibs. All four fledged.

In the other nest two died after a black fly swarm hit the nest day after day. Eventually the two remaining eyasses fell out of the nest but the parents fed them on the ground (in heavy brush) and they eventually fledged.

The beautiful great grays and great horned owlets all fledged and they were so fun to watch. Owls are now my absolute favorites.

On the eagle front, what drama. On one nest two males and one female were raising two eaglets. They were attacked by other eagles. The female disappeared and the the two remaining sibling males raised the two eaglets which fledged.

On a Vancouver Island nest, a red-tail hawk ended up in an eagle nest with two eaglets. The parent eagles raised it all the way to fledging. There was so much learning for folks like me about that one. Once the hawk fledged, the parent eagles actually paid more attention to it than to the eaglets that weren't mature enough to fledge. Something about the stages of parenting they go through with fledging triggering a parental change. The weirdest thing, eaglets will often kill siblings and here was this much smaller hawk getting fed first and two larger eaglets deferring to it. You had to wonder if being older/smarter wasn't winning out over larger in that nest. Ming boggling.

The latest addition is a puffin chick that doesn't do much except eat and sleep but the parents are funny to watch.

That's pretty much the current summary of my backyard and the bird nest cams. :)

Last edited: