Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Monologue Tips?

figuring it all out

Monologue Tips?

One of my best friends from college recently moved to my city and has been involved in multiple plays. Since she got here, she's auditioned for three plays and landed the lead role in all three. She's been amazingly helpful as I work on my novel, so when she recently asked me to write a monologue for her as my main character it sounded fantastic. She has more auditions coming up in the spring and just asked for "something sad."

I'm not the kind of novelist that's comfortable with big chunks of uninterrupted speech. I've taken a few stabs at writing a monologue (like this), but am having a little trouble. Does anyone have any tips about what makes a really great monologue? What should I keep in mind? Do you have any suggestions for one I could read and learn from?
    Last edited by latieplolo; 12-30-2016 at 06:10 AM.

Perpetually confused LittlePinto's Avatar
    A good monologue will have a beginning, middle, and end, just like a story. It should also include a character arc: the character begins in one place, has a realization about herself, and ends in a different place. You might read play monologues for inspiration. There are tons of websites out there if you do a web search.

If you can find it, watch Alan Bennett's Talking Heads series. Each episode is a half-hour monologue.

Banned for Trolling
    Thge best monologues often feel or play out like dialogues. As if the speaker is trying to convince themselves or rationalize something to themselves.

Mostly harmless SuperModerator dpaterso's Avatar
    Not monologues as such, but just for fun, maybe read some David Mamet scripts, feel the way the dialogue runs, even the big lengthy paragraphs are full of personality and opinion and counter argument.

Here's Glengarry Glen Ross on imdbs. If it helps, Levene is played by Jack Lemmon and Williamson by Kevin Spacey (cast list here). Feel the love, lol.

-Derek
    Last edited by dpaterso; 12-31-2016 at 12:40 AM.
    The Sunday night Flash Fiction Challenge - write a story in 90 minutes!
    Check out FFC forum (password=flashed)
    The challenge is open all week! If you dare.

My web page! Stories, webcomics, omg screenplays too

practical experience, FTW
    Talking Heads is also available in script (book??) form.

On Youtube look at Maggie Smith doing "Bed Among the Lentils" - runs about 50 minutes. She shows just how compelling a monologue can be. Of course, she is Maggie Smith . . .

Doug B

figuring it all out
    Thanks for the advice everybody, I'll definitely take a look!

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin Mr.Bohemian's Avatar
    Short and sweet, because of scriptwriting's brevity. You said you are a novelist, so that is likely an accidental sin you are committing.