Ready player one? Anyone read this?

PaulieS

Registered
Reaction score
Not sure if this is the right place for book reviews, so apologises in advance. I'm 10 hours into this, and I've gotta admit, it's a struggle. The basic surmise is that it's based in the future where life is pretty much unbearable in all aspects. In order to escape this, millions of folks worldwide log into a huge VR world. That's the main crux, and although the concept is interesting, I've never come across as many cliches and lack lustre writing in all my life. The hole premise is just an excuse to lodge in as many 1980's pop culture references as possible, and I've gotta say, it gets pretty old, pretty fast.

So again, interesting concept. Extremely dull and unimaginative execution.

iszevthere

Registered
Reaction score
I read it and enjoyed it thoroughly, but knew it wasn't a book I would read again. A lot of the references flew over my head; I am a nineties baby. I didn't take the book seriously at all. Tons of old, tired tropes were jammed in there, so it was easy to not be too invested, which helped me like it.

Kjbartolotta

Potentially has/is dog
Registered
Reaction score
Loved it and teens love it, and after I read it I swore NEVER to read a book with a Stars Wars reference. Broke my rule to read Armada, sorry I did.

PaulieS

Registered
Reaction score
Fair enough guys, I see your points. Maybe, just maybe, I was taking it too seriously? Shouldn't have gone in expecting a "war and peace" kind of plot :roll:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I loved it, but then, I'm a child of the 80s. Not everyone is the right audience for every book.

This isn't really the place for book reviews. If you're reading something and you want to discuss it, there's the "What We're Reading" thread. But keep in mind that many authors are members here, and if you're going to "review" a book, do it to objectively discuss substantive craft issues that are relevant to writing, not just to slam something you personally don't like.

Myrealana

I aim to misbehave
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.badfoodie.com
I read it for my December book club. I had a hard time getting into it. It turns out even a nerd-child of the 80s can be overloaded on 80s references. However, since it was for book club, I persevered.

At about the halfway point, I actually got interested and read the rest in an evening.

It's not great literature, but it's passably entertaining.

PaulieS

Registered
Reaction score
I loved it, but then, I'm a child of the 80s. Not everyone is the right audience for every book.

This isn't really the place for book reviews. If you're reading something and you want to discuss it, there's the "What We're Reading" thread. But keep in mind that many authors are members here, and if you're going to "review" a book, do it to objectively discuss substantive craft issues that are relevant to writing, not just to slam something you personally don't like.

Point noted, apologises.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
It has a heartwarming ending; that often saves books that aren't too strong the rest of the way through. When it comes time to say what a book was like, people tend to remember the ending first and how the book made them feel the best.

I, too, didn't find the writing great, but I also didn't dislike the story. I just didn't quite get into it, despite understanding most of the 80s references. :)

Arcs

Registered
Reaction score
The idea was fascinating. So I read the whole thing as quickly as my schedule allowed.

The first key was an instant solve for me, in my meta view of the book. But the execution was wonderful. The other two were kinda weird, but I liked the idea enough that I went with it. I was rewarded with what I felt was a great ending. The only part about the book that I didn't like was the hetero "romance". But that's just me.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
Point noted, apologises.

No worries, just a point for future reference. Keep it about the writing and you're good. :)

I, too, didn't find the writing great, but I also didn't dislike the story. I just didn't quite get into it, despite understanding most of the 80s references. :)

It was also very dude-centric, so despite getting waaaay too many of the references there was still a sense of being not quite in the crosshairs of the book. But I liked it really for the novelty and kind of unabashedly artless exuberance of much of it.

DongerNeedFood

Registered
Reaction score
One of my favorites, I've read it several times. I grew up in the 80's and loved the references. Looking forward to the movie. However, when I read Cline's followup book ARMADA, I did get tired of the excessive 80's and geek references. It was fine the first time around, but in Armada it was overkill.

LukeWoolsey

Registered
Reaction score
I enjoyed the read. I found that the 80s references went completely over my head, as I am also a 90s child. But the idea behind the whole world was what fascinated me.

I did find the writing a little strange at times, but all in all I thought it was a good read.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
i remember getting the novel in Loot Crate--when the book first came out. but I had traded it for something i REALLY wanted at the time. i do not regret that. LOL

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
I never heard of it, but I may look for it. The is a lack of paarody in the SF subgenre, and the parodies in fantasy are as strong as might be good. 1980's cultural references can be funny by themselves.

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I had high hopes for Armada but I admit I don't think I even made it 50 pages in. Just didn't grab me. :(