Worried about new kitten

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Hello cat gurus! I posted a thread last year about rescuing a kitten from our backyard--we bottle fed her from two weeks onward, and she's now fat, sassy and awesome.

Recently, we took in another kitten (semi-feral, also living outdoors, but we got her to come inside when she was about three months old, give or take). I suspect she's our older cat's half-sister (momma cat picks the same place in our yard to have her litter). Anyway, I took the little one into the vet, and her bloodwork came back negative for feline leukemia, feline HIV, etc. A poop sample was worm-free.

Unfortunately, over the past week or so, her third eyelid began showing in her left eye. I took her to the vet, who checked for corneal scratches (none) and gave us an antibacterial gel to put into her eye twice a day. So far we're on day three, but the lid is still protruding. I'm also a bit concerned about her overall--she's a lot tinier than our other cat, and she sometimes scootches around in a weird crawl, crying. She can walk/run/jump, but I've never seen the "crawl" before, and I can't tell from the vocalizations if she's hungry, wants attention, or if she's in pain :(.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm wondering if there's anything I might have missed--this is our second cat, and the first was so healthy I'm at a bit of a loss. I figure I'll take her in again this weekend if the eyelid doesn't go back, but is the crawling/crying anything to be concerned about? She didn't have a temperature when I took her in...

Thank you all so much in advance for your help!!!

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Huh, that sounds... odd, but hard to tell. Is she still eating and drinking and using her litter? Does she like to play? Does she do the crawling thing at certain times? Is it rubbing some part of her on a carpet? How old does the vet think she is? Does the older cat talk back to her when she yowls?

amergina

Pittsburgh Strong
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.annazabo.com
One of my kitties would have his third eyelid pop out a bit due to a bit of inflammation (or something) periodically. Sometimes it would pop back in later in the day, sometimes it would take a few days. His vets (both the general and ophthalmologist) were never too too too concerned, as long as there were no ulcers. (Which he got with regularity because of feline herpes.)

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Paralysis of the nicitating membrane (third eyelid) can be a result of eye infections or of systemic viral infections. There are a number of upper respiratory viruses that cats can get at shelters or while living on the streets. Feline herpesvirus (also known as feline viral rhinotracheitis) is one, and it can lead to eye inflammation and make cats vulnerable to secondary infections. Once a cat has it and recovers, it becomes dormant, and can re-emerge when the animal is under stress. If your other cat had all her vaccines and has finished the series, she should be protected from this virus (as it's part of the kitten shot series), at least.

There's also chlamydial infections (a bacteria) that can affect the eye, though they generally respond well to antibiotics. Unfortunately, there's no vaccine for this infection, and treatment can take weeks, even after the acute phase of the illness has passed.

It's also possible that there was some nerve damage that has led to this being a persistent issue, whether from an injury or from an infection she had. I had a rescued dog who always had a bit of his third eyelid showing in one eye. When we found him, he was covered with wounds and had clearly had an accident of some kind (maybe fallen from the back of a truck or been struck a glancing blow by a car, but who knows). The vet said it might have been mild Horner's Syndrome, which also affects cats and can be a result of blunt force trauma or completely idiopathic. He was otherwise healthy, had normal vision, and showed no signs of eye pain, so we finally just let it be.

I don't know about the crawling and crying thing. This could be a sign that she's uncomfortable or in pain. Eye inflammation can indeed be painful. I'd return to the vet at this point, since it looks like the eye medicine isn't working quickly, and I'd be sure to mention the crawling and crying issue.

Last edited:

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Can you estimate how old the kitten is? It may be she's in heat, especially if she scooting on her front legs and raising with rear with her tail up.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you all for getting back to me so quickly!!

cornflake, she's been eating fairly well and using the litterbox--I haven't seen any sign of diarrhea. With regard to her age, I think she was born in July or August, so four or five months old (?) Her playfulness varies--last night she spent a lot of time on our bed, but the minute we went to put in her eye meds she became a feisty ball of energy :).

amergina, I've read up on feline herpes--I'm not sure if she was tested for it, but that's definitely something I'm going to ask the vet...

Roxxs, I definitely think you're right--another trip to the vet is in order. I never realized all the infections kitties could get :(.

Cobalt, that's interesting! I thought at one point that was it (I've arranged for her to be spayed, but the vet couldn't fit in an appointment until mid-January). I'd read up on "commando crawling" and the tail thing (where it goes to one side). The only thing I'm not sure about is that we haven't had any males sniffing around the property (although one did come by about a week ago).

You guys are the best!!! Thank you all so much, and I'll post again once I have more news...

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Formerly feral kittens can be tricky, it might just be some stress from adapting to new diet, anti-parasite meds etc. Nictating membrane can just mean a bit dehydrated, not always more significant illness. One thing to check is the full range of parasites, normal meds sometimes miss things the feral have picked up from scavenging.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much veinglory! I'm wondering if I should take another poop sample to bring in (even though I gave each cat their own litter box, they began using each other's, so I'm not sure I brought in the correct sample). I also gave her three days worth of deworming medicine when we first brought her inside, but maybe that didn't get everything...

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
One of my rescue dogs had a couple of microbial infections that weren't picked up by a normal fecal test (he had persistently soft stools, though not actual diarrhea, and he was ravenous but not gaining weight). They had to do a more complicated one that looked for antibodies or something, which was expensive. But the test discovered a bacterial and a protizoal infection, and we were able to clear up the issue. Added bonus, he had some warts that disappeared as well. Those are caused by a virus, so the drugs didn't touch them directly, but his immune system was probably affected by the other infections.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
She's old enough she may be in heat, which goes along with the yowling thing - and old enough to be spayed. Did you make an appt for that? Combine trips - take her in to have the eye looked at and have a blood test for the other stuff as well as a spay.

Trying for another stool sample to bring sounds like a good idea too; just watch her especially after she eats breakfast and stalk her a bit. :)

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
When you talked about the scooting and crying, the first thing I thought was she's in heat. Our kitten is just starting to go through it, though she's a little young. Heat happens whether there's a male around or not, just as human menstruation. The first couple times can be a bit gentler than she'll get later, but of course, spaying will prevent that. The first few times can be mostly being more vocal and acting a bit oddly. Scratch her at the base of her tail and see if she presents.

hester

New year, new avatar.
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks so much again you guys!! No worries--I'm definitely keeping her indoors! :). She's set to be spayed in mid-January, so maybe the crawling/crying will stop (I hope!). She's also due for bloodwork the week before, so we'll see if anything turns up. The other weird thing are the sounds--I thought when they were in heat they'd do a classic "yowl," but she makes these birdlike chirps and coos (which kind of freak out our other cat!).

I'm also going to bring in another stool sample, and maybe have them run some more tests, just to make sure she's not percolating something new...

Once again, you guys all rock!!! Thank you all again, and let me know if I missed any reppies!

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Do you live in a wooded type area? Chittering (what I'm guessing from your description) is often what cats do when looking at/stalking birds (and sometimes otherwise). Some of it may be a reaction to birds outside the windows, if she can see/hear them. I still think she's likely in heat, but if she was feral and lived with her mother until she was four or so months, she can hunt and that may be 'hunting' behaviour. It's no big, tons of indoor-only cats do it when they sit and watch birds from their windows.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
Our kitten definitely was experiencing her first heat, but she hasn't gotten to full out yodeling yet. :D Mostly she is just more talkative, thank all that's holy!