The AW Amazon Store
Buy Books by AWers!

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Thread: Tips for writing for young children

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin

Tips for writing for young children

What are your tips for writing for young children?

I never have before but my nephew is due at the end of March and as a present I want to write and publish some stories for him.

I have one story written (no idea if it's any good lol)

Has anyone written any stories for young children, have you got any basic tips?

My first story is basically about a penguin who sees all these other birds who can fly really fast or for long periods of time (and obviously penguins can't) but he realises he can do something they can't; he can swim. The morale of the story being we all unique and have our own skills and that's a good thing

My idea is a story of a little car who is exploring the world around and making friends.

My top two tips would be: 1) Forget being educational and focus on it being fun. Think less about the moral of the tale and more whether it's entertaining. 2) Read a lot of picture books. You'll get a feel for how they're set out, how many words to pictures, that sort of thing.
    * Polenth *

Website | Blog / Send Review Requests | Twitter
    Sunstruck - Bigfoot Urban Fantasy Novel

Scribe of the girls in the basement Marissa D's Avatar
    New England but hankering for the old one
    If you're serious about trying to write picture books, consider joining the Society of Children's Book Writers and Illustrators (SCBWI ). Picture book writing (or at least quality picture book writing) is an art and skill that few master. Definitely go to the library and read stacks and stacks of them.

Are you intending this as a picture book or as a short story to be read on its own? I ask because writing for a picture book is a bit different than writing a short story, as this link points out: Short Story MS vs Picture Book MS: There is a difference.
    "The time has come," the Walrus said,
    "To talk of many things:
    Of shoes--and ships--and sealing wax--
    Of cabbages--and kings--"

Lewis Carroll

Dream Gardens Podcast

Twitter

Mentoring Myself and Others Debbie V's Avatar
    One of the keys is language. Your narrative voice should sound the age of the reader (or MC). You can use a few words that are over the grade level because the book will be read aloud and the pictures will help comprehension, but think hard about them. Rhythm matters in a read-aloud even if the text is prose. So read it aloud yourself.

The other key is illustrations. Cut any word that shows what will be shown without words. Colors are a good example. Of course, sometimes that word is the most important word in the sentence and needs to be there, but it's a good rule of thumb to break knowingly.

Picture books are now coming in at 300-500 words and still showing complete stories. Read many and read newer books to get a good sense. Picture book texts don't contain subplots, they don't talk down to the reader, and they don't have adults solving the problem. As with everything, humor sells.

Slightly rude or naughty is good too.

I'm thinking of books involving underpants or people hurting their bums/bottoms/whatever Americans have down there.