Status
Not open for further replies.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to all Weekend Updaters, past, present and future. Yes, it's a new thread for a new year!

To refresh for those long-time Progress Reporters and to clarify for all the new ones -- we're here to help you achieve your goals by being the place where you're accountable, being a cheering section, the shoulder to cry on, the folks who say those people who rejected you are fools, FOOLS, and they'll rue the day, the folks who cheer wildly when you get an acceptance, and so on.

The "Rules" for posting here are pretty simple.

1. You don't have to write humor to post here -- any writer writing in any or all genres can post here. But you can be funny if you want. We're all over the funny.

2. Every weekend, starting on Friday and ending on Sunday, we post the progress we've made with our various writing careers. This includes whatever you consider part of your career -- writing, editing, submitting, critiquing, promotion, brainstorming, research, etc. It's your career, it's up to you.

3. How to report? Give us your word count for the week, your submissions for the week, the number of words you edited during the week, any acceptances garnered, and anything else you did to move your career forward. It's that simple.

4. Since many writers are also artists and musicians, we count art- and music-related progress as well, as long as it's also part of your overall career.

5. The WPR Dominatrix (that's me) hands out virtual prizes and encouragements and so forth. We occasionally have a Guest Dominatrix just because.

6. There are prizes for: The most words written in a week; the most submissions for the week; the most words edited for the week; the first to report each Friday; and the last to come in late (we don't encourage competition for this one!); the exciting news of the week (like acceptances, media coverage, getting paid, etc.)

7. What counts for submissions? Anything where your piece could be rejected. Blogs count for word count, but not for submission, UNLESS your blog can (really and truly) be rejected by someone else other than yourself, aka an actual editor/boss. When posting, be sure to make the distinction for a rejectable blog, so it can count in your submissions tally for the week.

8. Remember that being accountable helps achieve goals. We encourage updates even when someone hasn't done anything or anything much. The act of reporting IS an important step, and we want to hear from you, even if it's to say you achieved squat for the week.

9. Yes, if you drift away and come back there are no penalties. This is a support thread, not your job or your mom. Therefore, it's up to you how frequently you update. Studies have shown that being accountable is a huge factor in success (seriously, and we are not making this up), but it's all down to you, and we will not be down ON you.

Still confused about how it works? Check out the 2015 & 2016 threads for examples.

Welcome to 2017, let's make this the Year of the Updaters and really achieve those career goals!

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Awards For This Week's Awesomeness

Nanner-Saoirse
:banana::banana::banana:

Blog Posts-Saoirse 2
:e2BIC::e2BIC::e2BIC:

mediapathic

Registered
Reaction score
K, this is my first time doing this, so please do tell me if I've put this in the wrong place.

My goal for the week was to keep two stories in submission but Fantasy & SciFi thwarted me with their crazy fast turnaround time (with a brief critique rejection no less!). But still, two stories in sub this week.

Got ~1kw written on a writer's block exercise that might turn into a real thing? Depends on if the muse smacks me around on that.

Also did edits on one nonfic piece as well as the novel. The Novel edits are edit-because-I-don't-know-what-comes-next so not sure if that counts but it still feels like progress.

Oh and I subscribed to Duotrope which totally doesn't count but still makes me feel like I'm really doing my job so I'm including it.

Now. Can someone explain the bananas?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
K, this is my first time doing this, so please do tell me if I've put this in the wrong place.

My goal for the week was to keep two stories in submission but Fantasy & SciFi thwarted me with their crazy fast turnaround time (with a brief critique rejection no less!). But still, two stories in sub this week.

Got ~1kw written on a writer's block exercise that might turn into a real thing? Depends on if the muse smacks me around on that.

Also did edits on one nonfic piece as well as the novel. The Novel edits are edit-because-I-don't-know-what-comes-next so not sure if that counts but it still feels like progress.

Oh and I subscribed to Duotrope which totally doesn't count but still makes me feel like I'm really doing my job so I'm including it.

Now. Can someone explain the bananas?

Welcome to the WPR. We're always happy to welcome new updaters.

Nanner-:banana::banana::banana:

1,000 words-:Clap::Clap::Clap:

2 Submissions-:e2bear::e2bear::e2bear:

Credit is given for editing, just list the number of pages. As for the Nanner, it is the most coveted of all prizes. Nothing says, I'm awesome, like a dancing nanner.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and this thread. More research than writing done this week, but got down outlines for three chapters of my historical fiction, a little dialogue and various themes based on research. Did masses of reading in archives and historical travel journals and reread Penelope Fitzgerald's magnificent The Blue Flower to inspire me.

I am one of the slowest writers I know. All in all, 3 500 words written, of which only 150 words will survive into week 2.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone, I'm new to the forum and this thread. More research than writing done this week, but got down outlines for three chapters of my historical fiction, a little dialogue and various themes based on research. Did masses of reading in archives and historical travel journals and reread Penelope Fitzgerald's magnificent The Blue Flower to inspire me.

I am one of the slowest writers I know. All in all, 3 500 words written, of which only 150 words will survive into week 2.

Welcome to AW and the WPR.

3,500 words-:Clap::Clap::Clap:

Research-
1032.gif
1032.gif
1032.gif

3 chapters outlined-:Thumbs::Thumbs::Thumbs:

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

In addition to the smilies the WPR now proudly presents spiffy award ribbons to each winner. Wear it as your avatar for the week or add it to your sig line to show just how awesome you are.

Nanner-mediapathic

nanner_zpsje5ovst8.jpg

Word Count- M Louise 3,500

:Jump::Jump::Jump:

word%20count_zpstcashllw.jpg

Pages Edited-Saoirse 32 pages

:e2writer::e2writer::e2writer:

editing_zpso2d8arnt.jpg

Outline- M Louise 3 chapters

:fistpump:fistpump:fistpump

outline_zpsvjgujclz.jpg

Research- M Louise

:Lecture::Lecture::Lecture:

research_zpsdycft4p7.jpg

Submissions-mediapathic 2

:Trophy::Trophy::Trophy:

submissions_zps8wwvv6zn.jpg

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Oh hell, Brain freeze moment.

Well, enjoy your awesomeness early. Anyone who updates from now until Thursday will be counted for next week

horrorchix89

Banned
Reaction score
As of Friday, I finished 3 chapters putting me even closer to finishing my first book ever (and first book of the series). 64k words and counting

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
As of Friday, I finished 3 chapters putting me even closer to finishing my first book ever (and first book of the series). 64k words and counting

Welcome to the WPR, horrorchix89

3 chapters written-:Clap::Clap::Clap:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Nanner-horrorchix89

nanner_zpsje5ovst8.jpg

Words-horrorchix89 3 chapters

:Jump::Jump::Jump:

word%20count_zpstcashllw.jpg

Words Edited-Saoirse 50 pages

:e2writer::e2writer::e2writer:

editing_zpso2d8arnt.jpg

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alackoftheologyandgeometry.wordpress.com
Hi all, found my way here from one of the office party threads and could use the accountability. Got 1500 words done this weekend along with vacuuming and haggis eating. Onwards!

DHurd

Registered
Reaction score
Okay I'll give this a try. I wrote 2,468 words this weekend on my WIP. A special thanks to my wife who let me slink down into the man cave and type away.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi all, found my way here from one of the office party threads and could use the accountability. Got 1500 words done this weekend along with vacuuming and haggis eating. Onwards!

Welcome to the WPR

1500 words-:Clap::Clap::Clap:

Status
Not open for further replies.