• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

We're about to be buzzed by another star

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
It's not yet entirely clear that this story is reliable.

What web site is this?

Its grammar is so atrocious and word choices so peculiar it reads like something written in a foreign language and passed through Google Translate with no oversight. It was a little difficult to piece together what the article was trying to say.

I note that the next story listed involved a UFO sighting. :rolleyes: :foilhat:

I also note that a Google search of this site's name does not turn up this site, at least not on the first page of results. I'm not sure what that means, but it does make it look dodgy.

Internal clues suggest that the expected audience is a Russian one, but otherwise there isn't any clue who these people are.

So ... Maybe? But I'd like to see some reliable corroboration first.

Introversion

Pie aren't squared, pie are round!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I googled, and found similar articles on other sites, such as Forbes: Solar System's Next Close Encounter Will Be With Gliese 710, Say Astronomers

Forbes said:
New data from the European Space Agency’s (ESA) Gaia mission has given astronomers unprecedented accuracy in predicting that Gliese 710, a K-spectral type star a little more than half the size of our Sun, will cross into our solar system’s Oort Cloud of comets some 1.35 million years from now.

According to a paper recently published in the journal Astronomy & Astrophysics, Gliese 710 will swipe through a swath of the Oort Cloud’s estimated few trillion comets, which in turn circle our solar system at distances of up to a light year.

The co-authors, Filip Berski and Piotr Dybczński, write that their calculations indicate that Gliese 710, currently estimated to be some 64 light years away in the constellation of Serpens, will have the strongest influence on the Oort Cloud objects in the next 10 million years. They note that their calculations also indicate that Gliese 710 will pass 13,365 astronomical units (or Earth-Sun distances) from the Sun

But is this really the star that will make the closest and quickest approach to our solar system?

Van Leeuwen, however, cautions that there are still many faint red dwarf stars whose exact trajectories and movements across the sky that still remain very much unknown.

Last edited: