Where to submit interviews with TV writers?

Allison

Registered
Reaction score
I've conducted over 50 interviews with well-known classic TV writers including Norman Lear,
Carl Reiner, and James L. Brooks. Can you suggest suitable magazines to submit these to?
Is serialization a possibility?
Thank you.

cornflake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
I'm confused -- interviews about what? What were the interviews originally for?

You wouldn't usually submit an interview, as most outlets do those for specific purpose, like to promote something or tie in with something, and generally do them themselves.

You're also in very, very well-trod territory there, so you'd have to have something new and different, or actually have a piece, not an interview, that's got some new angle.

Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, cornflake. I'll forget about the idea.

mistri

Sneezy Member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.livejournal.com
I wouldn't necessarily totally forget it. Is there a theme to the interviews you could put together as one project? I've read books about TV writers before, but it would have to appeal to quite a large amount of people (or large amount of people in a niche!).

Allison

Registered
Reaction score
mistri,

You mean a collection of quotes from various interviewees? I could certainly do that.
Can you suggest any specific magazines?

And don't some magazines publish in-depth Q&A interviews with one person?
Thanks.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
mistri,

You mean a collection of quotes from various interviewees? I could certainly do that.
Can you suggest any specific magazines?

And don't some magazines publish in-depth Q&A interviews with one person?
Thanks.

Some do, but again, they do them themselves, usually, for a purpose.

Also again, it's well-trod territory so it should be something fresh.

What were the interviews done for?

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Is serialization a possibility?

I think the whole idea has a very low possibility factor, for one simple reason. Those may be big names within the tv writing business, but to the general public they are not a celebrity. The public would only be interested if the interviews reveal previously unknown, intriguing facts. But those are delicate matters and the magazines will need a proof that the interviewee actually said whatever they said. Which makes the whole thing a bit of a hassle. Unless you have an established reputation for an interviewer, the magazines do not know you and everything has to be double checked. You can try communicating with any entertainment magazine that deals with similar topics (film, tv) and see if they are interested in using your information.

Last edited:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Any decent pub fact-checks regardless, and presumably these are recorded.

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Any decent pub fact-checks regardless, and presumably these are recorded.

A recording is just a voice on tape, it doesn't prove whose voice it is. Fact checking consumes effort and expense, so it should be worth it. Content is paramount - if those interviewees are sharing recipes, then submit to a cooking magazine. I just doubt that anybody would just share great facts with an unknown interviewer who has nowhere to submit yet. Not many places would be interested in publishing answers to "How are the grandchildren?" or "What did you get for Christmas this year?" by persons whose names are not widely recognisable by the general public. :Shrug:

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
A recording is just a voice on tape, it doesn't prove whose voice it is. Fact checking consumes effort and expense, so it should be worth it. Content is paramount - if those interviewees are sharing recipes, then submit to a cooking magazine. I just doubt that anybody would just share great facts with an unknown interviewer who has nowhere to submit yet. Not many places would be interested in publishing answers to "How are the grandchildren?" or "What did you get for Christmas this year?" by persons whose names are not widely recognisable by the general public. :Shrug:

Well of course no one is fact-checking stuff they're not intending to publish? I just mean most decent mags fact-check quotes, regardless of the source.

I think Normal Lear, Carl Reiner, Aaron Spelling and the like are pretty much household names in the U.S., hence it's well-trod territory.

Allso, I don't know the interviewer/poster is unknown - I kind of presume the interviews were for some purpose, and she wasn't just stalking Norman Lear to ask about his grandkids.

Allison

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. The interviews were done for a book
which I'm currently querying agents about. I have a lot of material left over,
and a friend of mine suggested magazines. I wanted to get your opinion
on that before pursuing it.

cornflake

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for your thoughts. The interviews were done for a book
which I'm currently querying agents about. I have a lot of material left over,
and a friend of mine suggested magazines. I wanted to get your opinion
on that before pursuing it.

On top of the above issues, you'd be cannibalizing yourself.