President Obama dismantling Bush's controversial Nseers Muslim registry program

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/2016/dec/22/nseers-arab-muslim-tracking-system-dismantled-obama

The Obama administration is dismantling a discriminatory surveillance system that was used after 9/11 to keep tabs on Arabs and Muslims across the US, in a move that will make it more difficult for president-elect Donald Trump to achieve his goal of introducing a Muslim registry.

Nseers stands for the National Security Entry-Exit Registration System.

The Nseers program was one of the most contentious – and widely hated – elements of the Bush administration’s anti-terror policies in the wake of 9/11. More than 80,000 people from 25 listed countries, 24 of which had majority Muslim or Arab populations, were forced onto the scheme in which they were required to provide fingerprints and a photograph and periodically present themselves for in-person interviews with DHS officers.

About 14,000 of those individuals were placed into deportation proceedings. Yet not a single individual was found to have any links to terrorist or violent activities.

Joanne Lin, legislative counsel with the ACLU, which was also at the front line of opposition to Nseers, said it was a “completely failed counterterrorism program. Out of 80,000 men who registered for it, there was not a single terrorism prosecution, yet it alienated Muslim and South Asian communities across the country. So we are very pleased that the Obama administration has moved to end it.”

Gregory Chen, director of advocacy at the American Immigration Lawyers Association, said that Nseers had “upended the lives of tens of thousands of businessmen, scientists, families and other individuals lawfully present in our country. The Obama administration has publicly acknowledged that the program is obsolete and unnecessary as a counterterrorism tool.”

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
He is doing so much to prevent Trump from running amok and doing so much of what the President Elect has said he would.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
I wonder why he didn't do it earlier - he's had eight years to get rid of that program, so why is it only happening now?

Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
I wonder why he didn't do it earlier - he's had eight years to get rid of that program, so why is it only happening now?

According to the article cited in the OP the program was discontinued in 2011, but the underlying infrastructure remained in place. This action dismantles that so that it cannot be easily ramped back up.

Nseers was allowed to fall into abeyance in 2011 after DHS and FBI officials concluded that it was discriminatory and ineffective. But the framework for the registry remained in place until this week, meaning that it could easily and quickly have been revived by the incoming Trump administration simply by putting majority Muslim countries back onto the list.

Now with the posting of the DHS order dismantling the final remnants of the scheme, it will be much more difficult for Trump to implement his avowed intent to place Muslims under renewed surveillance. The final order tearing down Nseers will be posted on Friday, with immediate effect.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score

There was no danger of it being resurrected before. The program was declared "obsolete" at one point, which would normally mean permanent mothballs, but now, letting it sit as a relic is too risky. They like to call an exiting president a lame duck, but it seems he's determined to do as much as he can.

ChipsAhoyMcCoy

ريانن ✿ &#159
Registered
Reaction score
I'm glad to see that Obama is finally taking action against NSEERS, but I have to agree with Captcha - why wasn't this done earlier? Removing the 25 target countries from the registry makes it useless, but I would've thought Obama could've seen the potential issues in allowing the framework to persist even before Trump came into the picture.