North Carolina's GOP Power Grab

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I'm a little surprised this hasn't been brought up yet, but amongst all the other turmoil from this election season, we have a situation in North Carolina which is almost every bit as troubling as all the rest.

Basically, the GOP controlled statehouse and the outgoing Republican governor wrote and signed bills to severely limit the power and ability of the incoming Democratic governor, so that while that position changed hands, the statehouse will continue to be the ones in power.

It really is despicable, considering they gave him a lot of those powers when the current governor took the position.

Also, the other disturbing aspect of this is the precedent it sets for the even higher seats of power. Could this be an example of what the GOP controlled Senate and Congress could do while Trump is in power to ensure even if a democratic president is elected next time, they can render him completely ineffectual?

ChipsAhoyMcCoy

ريانن ✿ &#159
Registered
Reaction score
While I believe this is completely undemocratic and horrifying, I also don't think it's the end of the world. This has been happening in North Carolina for decades, and there haven't been any serious implications on the national stage as far as I know (although I guess with Trump, who knows...) In 1972 Jim Holshouser (a Republican) was elected governor. The Democrats in power immediately tried to shift powers away from him and to the Lieutenant Governor (a Democrat). But when a Republican eventually filled the Lieutenant Governor office, they again stripped powers away and tried to shift them to Democrats. So as horrible as this is, I'm sure the Dems will get those powers back eventually, and then the Republicans, on and on and on. It's still horrible, but at least I don't think there are going to be any bigger consequences. Don't get me wrong - this is really undemocratic and needs to stop. But North Carolina has so many problems right now from racially gerrymandered voting districts to HB2 that I think they've got some issues with more immediate consequences that need to be dealt with first. Hopefully this won't turn out to be that big of a deal, and Roy Cooper will get all of his rightful powers as governor returned to him. Probably not by the GOP-controlled state legislature, but maybe national pressure will prompt a positive change for once.