Preditors and Editors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Frankie007

Registered
Reaction score
just went on the website just now....
they are lookin for a caretaker to help update the site.
otherwise, from the way it looks and sounds....the site is gonna disappear forever....

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
just went on the website just now....
they are lookin for a caretaker to help update the site.
otherwise, from the way it looks and sounds....the site is gonna disappear forever....

Yeah, it's a shame, because the site was a useful resource. But keeping something like that up to date has to be a lot of work.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I feared it might end this way after Dave's death. (I don't even know who took up the reins. Anybody?) I suspect maintaining such a site is largely thankless and certainly not profitable.

Maryn, sorry to see it withering

spork

Registered
Reaction score
I also saw that. It's a shame. I wish I had any of the skills required to help keep it running. I wouldn't mind investing the time, but I would have absolutely no clue how to operate a website or do the investigating.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
If someone (or a group) can take over, one of the first things that might need to happen is getting rid of the Pred/Ed contest. It's largely a gamed and superficial popularity contest at best. At worst, it was a source of validation for many of the same dicey publishers that were featured negatively in the list.

I'm drafting a cry for help to Popehat, the EFF, and some volunteer arts legal groups. Properly maintained, Pred/Ed is an amazing resource.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
This is what you see at the site now:

[FONT=&quot]Unfortunately, much of the data on the P&E site has become stale and outdated, and needs a new caretaker with the time required to update the site. The listings are being removed until they can be updated by a new caretaker.[/FONT][FONT=&quot]Until then, we refer you to the following:[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Note that the P&E/Critters Annual Readers Poll will run as usual in January.[/FONT]
[FONT=&quot]If you are interested in taking the reins of P&E, and possess what's needed — at least 20hrs/week to volunteer, excellent investigative skills, in-depth knowledge of the publishing industry, ability to detect scams from not-scams, thick skin, good web site skills, good writing ability — please [/FONT]get in touch.[FONT=&quot] Thanks for your interest![/FONT]

I would be wary of volunteering for that gig. It's a lot of work, it's a volunteer position (which suggests it's got to be done for free), and P&E is outdated, requires a lot of time to get it up to date and keep it that way, and has a long history of complaints and contention.

If the current owners were looking for a new owner for the site that might be a better deal but still: be aware that you'd become the focus for all the lawsuits issued by irate publishers, agents and so on. This is not an easy thing to take on.

Filigree

Mildly Disturbing
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.cranehanabooks.com
I know that before he passed, Dave was candid with me about the lawsuits and other threats he faced regularly. I can't share those comments, because they are pertinent to a specific case.

Old Hack has a valid caution for anyone wanting to own or do volunteer work for P&E. In the Trump era, expect to see more litigation by angry publishers/agents against critics and watchdog groups. Many of those suspect companies target the same demographics as Trump's campaign, and probably feel emboldened to safeguard their cash cows.

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
When I used to blog about publishing I rarely highlighted a specific publisher. But every time I did I ended up with threats of legal action; I often received threats and abusive messages from disgruntled writers; and on a few occasions, the people behind those threats found out my home address and sent me just awful stuff through the post.

A site like P&E is going to get much more of that abuse than I did. Be careful if you're thinking of getting involved.

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Filigree, I really don't see how using phrases like "the Trump Era" adds any validity (or subtracts it, either). It's unnecessarily inflammatory without being factual (especially since the Trump Era has not actually started, so you have no empirical evidence one way or the other on how anything may or may not change - simply a political opinion that may or may not be unique to you).

I can state things were plenty litigious under the present (soon to be past) administration and I doubt it was much better under the Bush/Clinton administration eras either.

I REALLY wish this forum could discuss the issues without bringing unnecessary politics into the conversation.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Filigree, I really don't see how using phrases like "the Trump Era" adds any validity (or subtracts it, either). It's unnecessarily inflammatory without being factual (especially since the Trump Era has not actually started, so you have no empirical evidence one way or the other on how anything may or may not change - simply a political opinion that may or may not be unique to you).

I can state things were plenty litigious under the present (soon to be past) administration and I doubt it was much better under the Bush/Clinton administration eras either.

I REALLY wish this forum could discuss the issues without bringing unnecessary politics into the conversation.

Then you should report the post without increasing the political discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.