What to do about devices that do not display Unicode characters?

feraudyh

Registered
Reaction score
Hello all,
I've just written a short book on a technical subject and it uses a lot of Unicode characters for the mathematical symbols.
I just discovered that some versions of the Kindle will not display these. The Kindle DX is a case in point.
I dont know what to do about this.
Should I make it clear in the book description that it will not display properly on a Kindle DX and leave it at that?
There might be a kindle of "content negotiation" whereby the load and display tries to figure out if the book can display Unicode and tries to compensate if the book cannot do the job, but apart from the fact that I do not know if this is supported, it sounds like it would be a lot of work.
cheers
Henri

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I would stipulate in the books description that it will not display on those devices.

Inside the book I would provide a Website URL with a contact form where readers who can't display the book properly but who have actually purchased the book can prove they purchased the book (various methods) and you will return them a .pdf that you customize with their email address of the book with the unicode etc. properly displayed.

I've done this in the past.