a word to describe an old wooden door stuck in its frame

Susan Anwin

deep blue electric angel
Registered
Reaction score
Website
susananwin.net
Hey guys, i'm looking for a specific word to describe an old wooden door that is sort of stuck in its frame so its hard to open or close, do you know what i mean? is there a specific word for it? i checked in dictionaries, but they gave me bullshit results

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You could say a door was jammed and had to be kicked or shoulder-butted to open it.

Not aware of a specific word for a 'jammed door' as such.

Last edited:

Bacchus

Registered
Reaction score
I am not aware of a single word for a door in that state.

You could say that it's jamb-jammed :)

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
Out of plumb?

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Hmm, reasons this can happen is because the house has settled and compressed the door frame, or because the old, porous wood absorbs moisture and warps or temporarily swells up (our garage door into the kitchen gets harder to open and close when the weather gets damp). I don't think there's a specific word for this phenomenon, aside from the descriptions others have tossed out here.

Wedged tight in its frame?

Jamesaritchie

Registered
Reaction score
Why do you need one wood to describe this? I'd say the dictionaries gave you pure gold.

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
For me, as reader, "an old wooden door stuck in its frame" works perfectly. Why do you want to reduce that to a single word?

caw

I'm going with this. I'm not sure English has a single word for it. Warped, jammed and stuck are possibilities, but they're not as specific. (There are some things English uses more than one excellent word for, just so you know :) )

Twick

Registered
Reaction score
The OP's from Hungary, so there may well be a Hungarian word that fits exactly. Unfortunately, I don't think English has a match.

Apparently in Maori there is a single word to describe the situation of "two people looking at each other, knowing something must be done but each hoping the other one will do it." That would be a really useful word in English.

King Neptune

Banned
Reaction score
Apparently in Maori there is a single word to describe the situation of "two people looking at each other, knowing something must be done but each hoping the other one will do it." That would be a really useful word in English.

I would prefer that the situation never arose.