• Basic Writing questions is not a crit forum. All crits belong in Share Your Work

I can do this right? Another copyright question.

Status
Not open for further replies.

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
So. I have a character with a job in Hollywood. Probably just makes the tea, but lies about it to impress the ladies. Its 1992 and a famous sequel is about to be released, no one knows the plot, but my guy claims to have worked on it, and reveals untrue spoilers to, unsuccessfully I might add, woo the ladies.

The movie is terminator 2, the alleged plot bares no resemblance to the real one, and its very apparent that everyone knows this guy is a liar.

There's no infringement here is there? Just a pop reference. No characters mentioned by name, except the terminator from the title. No plot stolen. Its a throw away line.

'Don't want to spoil it for you but it turns out that...' He says.

I try to give actual works a wide pass, but the obvious lie loses its impact if its a made up film. I'm confident that anyone reading the book will be familiar with terminator.

jjdebenedictis

is watching you via her avatar
Registered
Reaction score
I think you'd be in the clear for something like this. You're not violating anyone's copyright by mentioning the title, and none of the rest of it pertains to the movie at all.

The only way I'd see you getting anyone's knickers in a twist is if it could be argued you're disparaging the movie somehow. As long as your character isn't claiming the movie's full of horrible things that would genuinely scare a person who wasn't familiar with it away from the film, I'm sure this would be okay.

Simone.Garick

Banned
Reaction score
You're good. You could even have the character say things about the movie. So long as you keep the details couched in the character's personality.

FIlms fall under pop culture and as such you have surprising liberty with it. Having your fictional character talk about a film is no different than a real critic talking about a film.
It doesn't qork the same for song lyrics and talking about other books though.

Status
Not open for further replies.