BBCode Tips

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
After spending some time here and learning the BBCode used to visually separate text (especially in the critique section), it seems there are some common conventions in use, including colors, strikethroughs, bolded text and centering. I'm creating this thread selfishly, so I can come back and copy/paste when my own gray matter fails, but figured others could also benefit from this as well.

Here's the keystrokes to copy/paste into your own favorite editing program (whether that be Word, Notepad, Notepad++, Scrivener, or other (hint - use a unique thing like r/ and /r in your editor and then when done, copy paste with these syntax's:

To get red, type the following without spaces: "[COLOR = # FF0000 ] [ / COLOR ]"

To get green, [ COLOR = " # 008000 " ] [ / COLOR ]

Blue = [COLOR = " # 0000FF " ] [ / COLOR ]

Strikethrough = "[ s ] [ / s ]"

Bold = "[ B ] [ / B ]"

Center = "[ center ] [ / center ]"

Italics = " [ /i]"

Underline = " [ /u]"

Any others people use often they want to include? Feel free to add :)

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
There's a complete list built into AW. Here's a link to all the BB Codes we support. The Attach code will not work in most cases.

If you want to display BB Code exactly, but not have it acted upon, use the [noparse] tag.
That way the code will display exactly as it should be entered.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
I mostly write with a plain text editor (Notepad2) and include bbcode in the story to mark italics and other punctuation, e.g. [i]Just like this.[/i] So if I copy/paste into forum posts, it's ready to go.

The above sample posted using [noparse][i]Just like this.[/i][/noparse] tags as Lisa suggested, so it didn't format.

Each to their own, whatever works best for you is right.

-Derek

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
There's a complete list built into AW. Here's a link to all the BB Codes we support. The Attach code will not work in most cases.

If you want to display BB Code exactly, but not have it acted upon, use the tag.
That way the code will display exactly as it should be entered.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE="dpaterso, post: 10039060, member: 19"]I mostly write with a plain text editor (Notepad2) and include bbcode in the story to mark italics and other punctuation, e.g. [noparse][i]Just like this.[/i] So if I copy/paste into forum posts, it's ready to go.

The above sample posted using [noparse][i]Just like this.[/i][/noparse] tags as Lisa suggested, so it didn't format.

Each to their own, whatever works best for you is right.

-Derek

Well crap, I searched for BBCode and thought I'd scanned all the FAQ.

Thanks both - feel free to remove this entirely since it's obviously redundant! LOL :)

Last edited:

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
Well crap, I searched for BBCode and thought I'd scanned all the FAQ.

Thanks both - feel free to remove this entirely since it's obviously redundant! LOL :)

Nah, it's a good idea, and having information in more than one place in more than one way means more users may find it, so it's good.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Are there BBCode tags for stupid redundant posts? LOL

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
LOL

I made a BBcode clip library for NoteTab many moons ago. Never liked formatting stuff in the browser. Safer to write in a text editor; stuff happens, and you lose an hour's work on a post.