Hello! Thank you for this wonderful forum

meowzilla

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there, I'm a first time poster here.

I just finished my first manuscript and got my first detailed rejection on a full from a literary agent I really respect and admire.

I read her email while hunting for gifts at Marshalls and cried in the back of the store (the manager sniffed around me a few times, I'm pretty sure he thought I was shoplifting).

After I got over the initial waves I realized that she was right - I have a lot to improve. I finished my first MS with no feedback on it or my query letter, no beta readers. Not because I'm so good, but because I don't know any other writers and felt too shy to engage on the internet.

Now I realize that I have to push myself to do these things to make my writing stronger. Thank you for this wonderful community and I hope I will be able to participate and give back.

Cheers!

Lauram6123

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW!:welcome:

So many of us have gotten a rejection like that and had the exact realization that you've just had. (Me included!) When I started, I didn't even know what a beta reader was and oh man, the query letter I sent out...yikes. The good news is you're in the right place!

castex

H. Castex
Registered
Reaction score
Hello, I'm also new. I think most people here are on a journey to become a better writer. I wish you the best in yours!

Misha

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome meowzilla!
It's good to have forums like this to post your work on and get feedback from.
One day your story will be accepted by an editor.
I personally don't like posting stories on the internet mainly because I don't like sharing content. Hopefully this forum will change that.
Good luck with your writing!

Ninka

Registered
Reaction score
Hi there. I am new here as well. It is actually nice that the agent sent you a detailed rejection letter. It means that they cared enough and were nice enough to explain why your novel didn't make the cut. One rejection that I got said "not for me." That's it. :)

meowzilla

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the greetings everyone! I'm happy to see so many new people, I hope that 2017 will bring us a lot of good writing fortune!

DarienW

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to you all! I've have learned a ton posting on here, don't be afraid. Everybody is busy with their own projects, LOL! You can start slow too with the first three sentences.

It's amazing how generous everyone is with their help--even seeing other crits is helpful.

Enjoy!

:welcome:

Alcasgra

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to AW. :)

Rejections are parts and parcels of writing. Just keep trying. :)

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
welcome.gif

Take some time and read the Newbie Guide and the Stickies found
at the top of Forum pages. They are your best guide to learning about
Absolute Write.

Please read the FAQ about posting photos.

In fact we have lots of brilliant FAQs check them out.

Members who want to start a thread in Share Your Work to have work critiqued need
50 posts. Don’t make a mad dash to reach your 50 posts. That is frowned upon and can lead to your posts being deleted.
Take some time to greet fellow newbies, critique other members’ works, or join a discussion.

Announcements, Events and Self Promotion is for active members only. All obvious spam will be deleted on sight!

meowzilla

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks again very much everyone! I realize that it is an opportunity to have a detailed rejection - just the few comments the agent made have already helped me understand how to improve my work. Looking forward to interacting with everyone!

IngviSnædal

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Meowzilla and welcome from another newbie! You're still way ahead of me on your journey. I haven't even finished my first draft yet! :D