blue tree with lights

AW Amazon Store

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Filles Vertes Publishing

practical experience, FTW the bunny hugger's Avatar
    My French is very rusty but doesn't their name translate roughly as "immature girls" ?

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    Actually it translates to "The Green Girls".

Quote Originally Posted by the bunny hugger View Post
    My French is very rusty but doesn't their name translate roughly as "immature girls" ?

volitare nequeo AW Moderator veinglory's Avatar
    I mean in colloquial usage. But as I said, my French is not great.
    Last edited by veinglory; 06-12-2017 at 01:43 AM.
    Emily Veinglory

In colloquial English, 'green' is used in the sense of 'new, fresh, immature, just starting', adjusted to suit the circumstances. 'He's just a green kid'. Old West 'Greenhorn'.

practical experience, FTW DarienW's Avatar
    Hi all,

I got a fave on PitMad from this publisher. Does anyone have any recent information or stories?

Thanks!
    My first chapter: DON'T TELL ANYONE Revised at #24

Whittling Away My Writer's Block D.L. Shepherd's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DarienW View Post
    Hi all,

I got a fave on PitMad from this publisher. Does anyone have any recent information or stories?

Thanks!
    I subbed to them, then received a request for a full several months back, and just recently, they replied with a polite form rejection. While waiting to hear, I took the time to read their first release, The Pitcher Plant. It was well edited and I enjoyed it a lot. It was a fun, quick read.

practical experience, FTW DarienW's Avatar
    Thanks so much for weighing in, D.Owcsarek. The vibe I've gotten from them reading this post seems better than the other two, though NineStar Press seems very LGBT positive. I was lucky to get an agent fave and sent that off, but I'm not against a smaller publisher.

I'm looking forward to the torture of waiting months. Good to know you liked their title, and sorry it didn't work out for you.

Best wishes!
    My first chapter: DON'T TELL ANYONE Revised at #24

Whittling Away My Writer's Block D.L. Shepherd's Avatar
    DarienW - good luck with getting an agent! That would be best case. I had an agent for this MS, but we parted ways after she had already subbed it to the bigger pubs, so now I am submitting to small pubs on my own. I'm going to try again to get a new agent when I finish my WIP.

Thanks for this info, I also just got asked for a partial and sent it in. I like their art direction for The Pitcher Plant, and it seems like they do take a lot of time with their authors marketing plans.

Does anyone know their royalty percentage? All I see on their FAQ is "We currently pay in royalties. And again, we do not charge for publishing."

practical experience, FTW Pisco Sour's Avatar
    Hmmm, they fave'd my Twitter pitches during Pitmad and DvPit but I decided not to submit bc I'm seeking agent rep. But I'll look into them if there are no takers for this book.

Well I have just sold my Middle Grade novel "The Bird Fairies" to Filles Vertes. After the R&R I edited the manuscript again and resubmitted in July. Earlier this month I received an email that that they wanted to talk in person and we went into contract negotiations. I had to do it myself, as I don't have an agent but they were flexible on several points and clarified a few for me which was very nice. Communication has been very good so far too.

Patreon
    Twitter
    Facebook
    ALL My Books
    Carmine Rojas: Dog Fight is---'An explosive mix of gangsters, guns, monsters, magic and mayhem, with dark and gritty action that right-hooks you from page one. Wonderful!' --- Suzanne McLeod, author of the Spellcrackers urban fantasy series.

That's wonderful, Che! I look forward to seeing it.

I've just read the staff page. Does anyone at that entire company have any relevant experience, not counting freelance editing and being English majors? As far as I can tell, the sum total of their hands-on experience in the publishing industry is that one person was an intern at a literary agency.

I'm sure they're all very nice people who are passionate about literature and eager to help new writers, but agenting isn't an entry-level job and I can't see that publishing is either.

Being an English major doesn't have much, at all, to do with publishing. That's not a credential.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12