Status
Not open for further replies.

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Hello :)

I've gotten stumped on a description.
My search function foo must be faulty. I can't possibly be the first person to ask this, but I keep getting "no matches".

Would anyone be able to offer suggestions for visual cues of a blush on different skin tones? Color changes? Lighter? Darker?

I had a Lakota friend in High School who had a similar complexion to the character I'm currently working on. He loved to pick on me, and we would mock bicker back and forth, so I made him blush all the time.

Trying to visualize it, all I can remember is he would get a huge tight-lipped grin, avert his eyes, tilt his head away from me, and his face would just shine. Usually all while trying to choke back a laugh. That is as much detail as I can remember.

Unfortunately it doesn't quite fit for what I'm working on. The scene is more subdued. Not so much laughing and joking around.

Any observations would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
What's the POV? The person blushing, or someone seeing it happen? For the first one, you'd want to focus on the feeling - heat rushing in and that kind of thing. For the second, you'd want to describe the way the person moves or the color change / shine.

Do they cover their face? Do they turn away? Do they try and escape whatever situation is occurring? Are they the sort of character to turn their own blushing into an accusation of guilt for the other character causing it?

Wicked

Outcast Rogue
Registered
Reaction score
Google cosmetic blushes with descriptive names and pick one that fits a skin tone.

Thank you. I did look at a skin tone chart in an article I googled, but feared I was setting myself up for a major blunder. When in doubt, go to AW.

What's the POV? The person blushing, or someone seeing it happen? For the first one, you'd want to focus on the feeling - heat rushing in and that kind of thing. For the second, you'd want to describe the way the person moves or the color change / shine.

Do they cover their face? Do they turn away? Do they try and escape whatever situation is occurring? Are they the sort of character to turn their own blushing into an accusation of guilt for the other character causing it?

Ah, sorry. Not the POV character.
Male character, trying to play it off. Very subtle, but I still need the POV character to recognize that it is a blush.
Blushing character averts his eyes, but I was hoping for another visual tip off to his embarrassment. I don't want it to be confused with shame.

I had written, "his face darkened", but I'm feeling unsure about it.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
Some people - guys especially - will squinch their face, like it's coming to a point on their nose, especially if they're embarrassed by the blush. Their cheeks raise and their top lip kind of flattens; they squint their eyes, like they're trying to make every warm surface on their face disappear, but at the same time, they're smiling. It's a weird thing to see.

Status
Not open for further replies.