Slow Cooker Ideas

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
So the wife and I have been using a slow cooker for a while and have been noticing health benefits, saving money and a general happier result from this. We've been cooking a lot of stew, a lot of chili - and even a pot roast every now and then.

But as of recently, we've begun a little sick of eating stews and chilis but we'd like to continue using the slow cooker because it's a wonderful way to cook for the week over the weekend. So I'd like to ask, what else is there? Is there anything you eat and enjoy?

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
* BBQ Ribs/BBQ Chicken - Just season it and toss it in with some onions/garlic and BBQ Sauce - Serve with Steamed Veggies

* Chicken/Turkey (wings, thighs and drumstix) with celery/onions/garlic/carrots + a can of cream of mushroom soup - Serve over Rice or Noodles

* Beans (pintos/navy/black-eye peas) - Toss 'em in with some Sweet Onions/Chicken Broth/Stock and (real) Bacon bits or Turkey Sausage

* BBQ Pulled Pork (Pork Shoulder or Butt) - Season it and Toss it in with onions and BBQ Sauce (jarred or homemade)

* Whole (roaster) Chicken with Sweet Potato chunks and fresh Asparagus or Green Beans

Last edited:

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
So are these something that need to be immersed in some sort of liquid for it to all cook? I just don't know if I'm going to risk burning anything. (My experience on this is quite low, so I apologize if they come across as foolish.) I just know that there's a lot of direct heat with the bottom of the pain and then the rest is just hot air with the food.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
You can make rotisserie style chicken in your slow cooker using the small rack (if your cooker came with one) or by making 3 balls of foil and placing them in the bottom of the cooker. Make a dry rub like this one, or make your own variation. I make a full rub recipe and store the unused portion in a closed container for next time.

Coat your cleaned and dried whole chicken—I only do breast halves—and place them on the rack or foil balls and cook on low until done. The chicken does not dry out and is fall-apart tender.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
This is an amazing thing and something I should most definitely try. We've been buying our chicken from the rotisserie, and I've wanted to try something different and add different flavors.

Thank you so much!

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
Joint of meat cooked in beer, or honey and mustard glaze, or whatever tickles your fancy.
Ratatouille
Aubergine, onion and tomatoes
Curry
Moroccan tagine
Mushrooms with soft cheese and herbs/pesto
Bolognese

Lavern08

Sit Down, and Shut Up!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
So are these something that need to be immersed in some sort of liquid for it to all cook? I just don't know if I'm going to risk burning anything.
First of all, get a pkg of the Reynolds Slow Cooker Bags - They make clean-up a breeze - Just toss the bag and wipe the cooker out with a damp paper towel afterwards.

Second, I usually add a can of cream of mushroom/cream of celery soup to my chicken, pot roast or turkey - the undiluted soup, plus the natural juices from the meat and the veggies make a delicious gravy and the food doesn't burn or stick to the crockpot.

Third, since the liquid in the crockpot doesn't "boil out" or evaporate that much, you don't really need a lot anyway - For example, I only use about half a jar of BBQ sauce, if I'm making BBQ chicken in the crockpot.

(Of course, if you're making beans, you want enough broth or stock to cover the beans)

I know some people are skeptical about leaving an appliance on all day, but for years, I've thrown beans in the cooker before I left for work, turned it on "Low," and those babies were ready to serve by the time I got home. :)

Last edited:

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Dump a can of green enchilada sauce over a cheap pork roast or some boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Cook until meat shreds easily with a couple of forks, then use it for tacos.

Leftover can be used to stuff burritos or enchiladas, or mixed with beans, chili powder, and diced tomatoes for chili.

Oh, you can also make bacon jam in the slow cooker. Eat on crackers or bread, with or without cheese; use to top burgers.

davidjgalloway

Opus is my guy.
Registered
Reaction score
I'll second the pulled pork. That comes out amazing in a slow-cooker.

If you like cabbage rolls, they are also excellent.

On the sweet side, slow-cooker apple butter is about the best thing going for toast.

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
Joint of meat cooked in beer, or honey and mustard glaze, or whatever tickles your fancy.
Ratatouille
Aubergine, onion and tomatoes
Curry
Moroccan tagine
Mushrooms with soft cheese and herbs/pesto
Bolognese
Shame me for being a picky eater. Out of the dishes you just listed, bolognese and the mushroom dish were the only ones I could see myself eating and enjoying, although I'd probably try Moroccan tagine as well. I've never tasted that, though. What kind of tastes does it bring?

First of all, get a pkg of the Reynolds Slow Cooker Bags - They make clean-up a breeze - Just toss the bag and wipe the cooker out with a damp paper towel afterwards.
I HAVE tried these before, and they are absolutely wonderful! I've still put it through the wash, but that's to err on the side of caution. You have reminded me I'm down to my last liner and I'll need to grab more. Much thanks!

Second, I usually add a can of cream of mushroom/cream of celery soup to my chicken, pot roast or turkey - the undiluted soup, plus the natural juices from the meat and the veggies make a delicious gravy and the food doesn't burn or stick to the crockpot.
You are speaking my language! I think this is what I'll do next. I also love cream of mushroom. Probably more than I should. :p

(Of course, if you're making beans, you want enough broth or stock to cover the beans)
Good point, and the beans is one of the main reasons I've loved the slow cooker. Trying this, I realized how low I was with fiber and I felt generally healthier. A huge part is probably I can eat a little bit and I never get hungry throughout the day. It feels like a miracle. :)

I know some people are skeptical about leaving an appliance on all day, but for years, I've thrown beans in the cooker before I left for work, turned it on "Low," and those babies were ready to serve by the time I got home. :)
We tend to leave it on overnight while we sleep. You should try it, only for the pleasant surprise you get, waking up to the smell of something wonderful! :)

Dump a can of green enchilada sauce over a cheap pork roast or some boneless, skinless chicken thighs. Cook until meat shreds easily with a couple of forks, then use it for tacos.
You are an absolute genius. I need to try this!

Oh, you can also make bacon jam in the slow cooker. Eat on crackers or bread, with or without cheese; use to top burgers.
I don't know about bacon jam. Obviously, this needs to change! :D

I'll second the pulled pork. That comes out amazing in a slow-cooker.

If you like cabbage rolls, they are also excellent.

On the sweet side, slow-cooker apple butter is about the best thing going for toast.

For some reason, I'm not the hugest fan of pulled pork. I hope pulled chicken can substitute.

As far as cabbage rolls, I'm not a huge fan to be honest. (For most vegetables, they have to be raw for me to enjoy. Which reminds me: I need to be spinach artichoke dip!)

And we've actually made apple butter, just not in the crock pot. My wife actually bot a jarring set and jarred them, so we're totally excited about that.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Beef or lamb, cooked with a variety of root and stem vegetables. I garden, and so have at my disposal, in particular, good potatoes for this purpose. Other essentials include, IMO, carrots, rutabagas and brussel sprouts. Depending on availability, other rooty vegetables that work well are golden beets, parsnips, parsley roots, turnips and daikon radish. For stemmy things, celery, bok choy and swiss chard are nice. Plus the stem parts of broccoli and other cabbagy veggies, peeled. Snap peas and snow peas are also good (again, I do a lot of these from the garden).

I chop up the veggies into bite-sized pieces, marinate the meat in any kind of standard marinade sauce overnight, and add a standard packaged stew mix, with beef broth. Put it all in a big crockpot on low, let it cook all day, and viola! Meal. Makes fabulous leftovers, too.

caw

ErezMA

Registered
Reaction score
I should try that. Thanks for your words of wisdom!

kikazaru

Benefactor Member
Registered
Reaction score
Oatmeal.

I have not made this because I am the only one in this family who likes oatmeal, but I do know people who swear by it. If you try it read the reviews first - especially the part about making sure the oatmeal is steel cut, and adding a pinch of salt.

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/218929/slow-cooker-oats/

Curlz

cutsie-pie
Registered
Reaction score
... Cooker Bags
I use cooking bags in the oven but never even thought it's possible to use such a thing in the slow cooker. That's brilliant! :idea::banana:

Dump a half-gallon of apple cider into the crock pot. Use a cheesecloth (tied at the top) or a large spice ball with different spices
I do that with a pan on the hob. Who would have thought that a slow cooker can do so many exciting things! ;)

I'd probably try Moroccan tagine as well. I've never tasted that, though. What kind of tastes does it bring?
Fruity and spicy? Like, lamb and dried apricots, beef and dried prunes. Spices come out of a jar that says "Moroccan" on it, but as far as I remember there's cinnamon and cumin and allspice and ... I'm too comfy to get up and check right now ;), other stuff!

I might have a lazy Sunday tomorrow and actually get the slow cooker out, too ...

sunandshadow

Impractical Fantasy Animal
Registered
Reaction score
Website
home.comcast.net
I normally make beef roast in the slow cooker, but the same thing works with any type of meat, like pork loin or chicken breasts. You combine about 2 pounds of any raw veggies (e.g. carrots, celery, cabbage, onions, or diced potatoes) with about 3 pounds of meat (thawed if it was frozen), and add enough water to cover it all. Takes 5-8 hours to cook, depending on whether you start with hot water and whether it's warm in the room the slow-cooker is in. I cook it plain and then add pepper, salt, and/or sauce afterwards, but if you want to cook it with bullion or wine or whatever you should dice the meat first.

The slow cooker can also be used to make a good chicken soup (or again, you can substitute meats) but it's probably easier to make it in a big soup pot on the stove, as long as you don't mind spending an hour keeping half an eye on the pot.

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know if you like vegetarian Indian food, but a slow cooker is wonderful for lentil dishes.

M Louise

Registered
Reaction score
Making a slow cooker pot of marinara sauce with the last of the summer's tomatoes. A crate of organic tomatoes given to me by a farming friend who likes to experiment with herloom and other varieties. Plum tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, black zebra tomatoes, orange-pink-yellow tomatoes, Aunt Ginny's Purple, Ailsa Craig, Arkansas Traveller. I didn't blanch or peel or deseed them, may use a foodmill after they've simmered down. Put in fresh origanum and quartered onions, no sugar or liquid. They'll sit on low for about 10 hours and hopefully will taste as good as they smell.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
Making a slow cooker pot of marinara sauce with the last of the summer's tomatoes. A crate of organic tomatoes given to me by a farming friend who likes to experiment with herloom and other varieties. Plum tomatoes, beefsteak tomatoes, black zebra tomatoes, orange-pink-yellow tomatoes, Aunt Ginny's Purple, Ailsa Craig, Arkansas Traveller. I didn't blanch or peel or deseed them, may use a foodmill after they've simmered down. Put in fresh origanum and quartered onions, no sugar or liquid. They'll sit on low for about 10 hours and hopefully will taste as good as they smell.

I first read that as marijuana sauce, and was like "Whaaaa???" LOL

I don't know if you like vegetarian Indian food, but a slow cooker is wonderful for lentil dishes.

I'm intrigued, love Indian food and would also be interested in adding more vegetarian dishes with less proteins/carbs. Any specific recipes you can suggest (crock pot or otherwise...?

ap123

Twitching
Registered
Reaction score
I got a slow cooker about a year ago, I don't love it for everything but it is so convenient. It has taken some time for me to adjust to the differences in using the slow cooker v a pot on the stove, i.e.: less liquid, more herbs/spices.

I make a big batch of oatmeal once every two or three weeks, it's a great overnight dish. You have to use the steel cut oats, and I'd say if you're following the guidelines from a recipe, use only 2/3 of the amount of liquid called for.

We eat beans regularly(spanish/caribbean style), and the slow cooker has been great for this purpose. Throw in a big hunk of calabaza (if you don't have a spanish market, I think butternut squash is the closest, though acorn squash also works) when you start them, it both sweetens them and thickens the sauce. Remember to soak the beans overnight first, this still makes a difference!

I don't love the slow cooker for lentils, they cook much faster than other beans, so for me that's been a no.

Last week I made an easy minestrone--Veg broth and water (3:1 ratio), diced onion/carrots/celery, 1 can diced tomatoes, 1 can fire roasted tomatoes, 1 can cannellini beans, drained, 2 bay leaves, thyme, oregano, 1 hunk of parmesan rind. Cook on low 6-8 hours, then add 1 good sized zucchini (diced), 8 oz baby spinach (if you're using regular spinach, chop it), and 1 1/2 cups small pasta (ditalini, small elbows), salt and pepper, cook another 30 minutes or so, until pasta is done but not mushy. If you're using smaller pasta (pastina, acina de pepe) add it about 15 minutes after the zucchini and spinach. (obv, remove the bay leaves and parm rind before serving)

We've also been using it to prep dried chick peas for hummus. Really delicious, much better than using canned, believe it or not. :)