Piece published by client, disappeared after with no pay

Erik Thurman

Registered
Reaction score
Hey how is everyone on the board? Been a while since I've been around. Lately I've been running into a bit of trouble with a particular client on a project that I had to leave and thought I might leave this up to the general consensus for advice what I should pursue next.

Last month, I was contracted to do a three-part piece for a larger English-language Korean news publication. Part one hits some rocks but was delivered on November 22nd. However, part two ended with a disagreement with the editor-in-chief just hours before publication. After debating back and forth about how to pursue the rest of the series, agreements couldn't be made about the story and I decided to walk out on the editor. I also had not be paid for for the first article despite it already been delivered.

He's already been provided an invoice for the first piece (we were working on an informal contract with details laid out in the email), but now that it's about to go into the due date and considering how to deal with this person. The editor has been somewhat erratic since the project outset and I have a feeling he doesn't want to pay.

Any advice what to do? Go after the money? Get the first piece pulled somehow? I'm a member of the Authors Guild so I do have option of getting some legal assistance.

Thanks in advance!

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
I'm not a legal person of any type. This is just my gut reaction. You say you were contracted to write a three part piece, but then you say you and the editor were working on the contract after part one was delivered. It also sounds like part one was delivered late. Okay, if there is no contract, and you've decided to part ways with the project after only completing one third of the project, I'd have to say you should just let it go. I can't imagine that it would be easy to try to use legal measures against a company in a foreign country, and it sounds to me like both sides have defaulted on the agreement. I'd call it a wash. Next time, get a contract signed up front, and stick to the agreement.