Alessandra Kelley

Sophipygian
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.alessandrakelley.com
http://www.teenvogue.com/story/donald-trump-is-gaslighting-america

Teen Vogue magazine has published some excellent commentary by Lauren Duca. It is refreshing to see.

To gas light is to psychologically manipulate a person to the point where they question their own sanity, and that’s precisely what Trump is doing to this country. He gained traction in the election by swearing off the lies of politicians, while constantly contradicting himself, often without bothering to conceal the conflicts within his own sound bites. He lied to us over and over again, then took all accusations of his falsehoods and spun them into evidence of bias.

There are things you can and should be doing to turn your unrest into action, but first let's empower ourselves with information. Insist on fact-checking every Trump statement you read, every headline you share or even relay to a friend over coffee. If you find factual inaccuracies in an article, send an email to the editor, and explain how things should have been clearer. Inform yourself what outlets are trustworthy and which aren’t. If you need extra help, seek out a browser extension that flags misleading sites or print out a list of fake outlets, such as the one by communications professor Melissa Zimdars, and tape it to your laptop. Do a thorough search before believing the agenda Trump distributes on Twitter. Refuse to accept information simply because it is fed to you, and don’t be afraid to ask questions. That is now the base level of what is required of all Americans. If facts become a point of debate, the very definition of freedom will be called into question.

The road ahead is a treacherous one. There are unprecedented amounts of ugliness to untangle, from deciding whether our President can be an admitted sexual predator to figuring out how to stop him from threatening the sovereignty of an entire religion. It’s incredible that any of those things could seem like a distraction from a greater peril, or be only the cherry-picked issues in a seemingly unending list of gaffes, but the gaslights are flickering. When defending each of the identities in danger of being further marginalized, we must remember the thing that binds this pig-headed hydra together. As we spin our newfound rage into action, it is imperative to remember, across identities and across the aisle, as a country and as individuals, we have nothing without the truth.

Captcha

Banned
Reaction score
Teen Vogue is burning it up lately! One of the most interesting surprises in the media this election cycle, for sure.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They are putting main stream media to shame with their honest reporting of Trump's activities.

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
And, they've got a heck of an audience: teens with cell phones, able to Tweet and text and e-mail with the same casual skill with which they breathe. The perfect people to question authority and spread the message. Go, Teen Vogue!

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I notice that a year's subscription to Teen Vogue on tablet and in print is only $5.00.

That's got gift-giving potential to spare.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Wow. That article was in a fashion magazine aimed at teens who mostly aren't even old enough to vote yet? That's amazing.

Back when I was a teen, the most cerebral articles in magazines like Vogue and Cosmo (I don't remember there being a Vogue specifically for teens back then, though those magazines were certainly aimed at younger adult women and were popular when I was in high school and college) focused on telling us what the signs were of anorexia (while still publishing pictures of impossibly thin models along with all those diet and exercise articles shaming us for flabby thighs and so on). While they may have dipped their toes into the waters of how to deal with workplace discrimination or abusive romantic partners from time to time, they never had articles that were actually about politics.

Last edited:

Cmalone

Registered
Reaction score
Now that's actually deserving of a subscription. It's too bad more teens (and adults) aren't exposed to this over the mainstream media.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
I notice that a year's subscription to Teen Vogue on tablet and in print is only $5.00.

That's got gift-giving potential to spare.

A wonderful gift for the young feminist fashionista in your life. Like I said, I had it for a year. You can tell by the letters page that they have some smart kids in their readership, too.

Celia Cyanide

Joker Groupie
Registered
Reaction score
Last edited:

CWatts

down the rabbit hole of research...
Registered
Reaction score
A wonderful gift for the young feminist fashionista in your life. Like I said, I had it for a year. You can tell by the letters page that they have some smart kids in their readership, too.

Is it too much to hope that Teen Vogue can be this generation's Sassy?

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
Between this and the UK girls calling bullshit on the soccer pamphlets... Feminism is working.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Elle magazine has stepped up about not allowing Ivanka to take over the First Lady role. The article focuses on her complete lack of experience and use of women's issues to market her merchandise.

Link