When is a thriller not a thriller?

travelNreed

Registered
Reaction score
Oh, man. I was thrilled when I came up with my idea for a story. I was thrilled when I was writing it. I am thrilled when I read it.
Does that not a thriller make?

I guess not, when my protagonist has time to:
1) have dinner with his wife
2) be intimate (many times) with his girlfriend
3) play a few rounds of golf with his best friend

all while trying to figure out his internal and external conflicts.

My protagonist is in danger, because he sets himself up for it by trusting the wrong people. He is not constantly running from danger, but finds himself in it, and has to figure out how.
His past actions catch up to him, and there are repercussions.
In the first thirty pages, of a 400-page ms, I introduce the protagonist, the antagonist, and the situation that triggers the danger he's in for the remainder of the story. At the end of the story, he has to make a decision, which is a result of the initial situation.

Suspense??? Seems like this would be the correct genre.
I used this as a reference:
http://www.dailywritingtips.com/is-your-novel-mystery-thriller-or-suspense/

I never considered changing genres of a nearly-finished ms, but I guess it's possible...

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
It does sound more like suspense. Suspense often starts with the MC unaware that he's in danger, and follow the MC as they find out about the danger. The reader often finds out about some of the danger before the MC does.

In a thriller, while the MC might have time dinner with his wife, is in danger from the get go.

That's how I understand it, anyway. Deciding between Mystery/Thriller/Suspense can get boggy.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
When it doesn't thrill readers. Simple as that. For me, as reader, I like suspense. Lots of action, explosions, etc., tend to bore me rather than thrill me. My all-time favorite "thriller" novel is the disturbingly quiet and nasty suspense novel Watcher in the Shadows by the mid-20th century British writer Geoffrey Household. You want to get a feel for writing suspense, read that one.

caw

Namatu

Lost in mental space.
Registered
Reaction score
A few years back when I was researching genres, I came across something (can't remember where) that noted in thrillers, the stakes are often very high. Not just the MC's life, but the fate of the country/world/other big what-have-you. Which, thinking back on many thrillers I've read, seems apt. An accurate measurement? No idea. Just my faded memory's $0.02.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
Thriller vs Suspense as story structures (as opposed to marketing genres, which can often be arbitrary):

Thrillers are gut wrenching personal; a cat & mouse mind game, threat of death at every corner, rarely violent.

Thriller movies: Basic Instinct, Panic Room, Michael Clayton, Fatal Attraction, Firewall, Sea Of Love.

Suspense is more your cop & robber or spy story; equal foes at opposite ends, a battle of wits & fists, a series of attacks and counter-attacks, pursuits.

Suspense movies: Shooter, Heat, Ocean's Eleven, Ronin, Speed, Swordfish, Now You See Me.

Hope this helps.

-cb

Last edited:

travelNreed

Registered
Reaction score
It does sound more like suspense. Suspense often starts with the MC unaware that he's in danger, and follow the MC as they find out about the danger. The reader often finds out about some of the danger before the MC does.

In a thriller, while the MC might have time dinner with his wife, is in danger from the get go.

That's how I understand it, anyway. Deciding between Mystery/Thriller/Suspense can get boggy.

Yes, thank you. The genres seem to blend together, and I too am thinking Suspense.

Thanks for the reply!

travelNreed

Registered
Reaction score
When it doesn't thrill readers. Simple as that. For me, as reader, I like suspense. Lots of action, explosions, etc., tend to bore me rather than thrill me. My all-time favorite "thriller" novel is the disturbingly quiet and nasty suspense novel Watcher in the Shadows by the mid-20th century British writer Geoffrey Household. You want to get a feel for writing suspense, read that one.

caw

Thanks! I'm adding that book to my reading list...

travelNreed

Registered
Reaction score
A few years back when I was researching genres, I came across something (can't remember where) that noted in thrillers, the stakes are often very high. Not just the MC's life, but the fate of the country/world/other big what-have-you. Which, thinking back on many thrillers I've read, seems apt. An accurate measurement? No idea. Just my faded memory's $0.02.

Makes sense. And that means my story is a... Suspense story. Not a thriller. Thanks!

travelNreed

Registered
Reaction score
Thriller vs Suspense as story structures (as opposed to marketing genres, which can often be arbitrary):

Thrillers are gut wrenching personal; a cat & mouse mind game, threat of death at every corner, rarely violent.

Thriller movies: Basic Instinct, Panic Room, Michael Clayton, Fatal Attraction, Firewall, Sea Of Love.

Suspense is more your cop & robber or spy story; equal foes at opposite ends, a battle of wits & fists, a series of attacks and counter-attacks, pursuits.

Suspense movies: Shooter, Heat, Ocean's Eleven, Ronin, Speed, Swordfish, Now You See Me.

Hope this helps.

-cb

Thank you, this paints a better picture.

Undercover

I got it covered
Registered
Reaction score
I would say it's suspense too. But a thriller can start out slow, where the MC is eating dinner or something like that, then later on something happens and it gets thrilling from that point on. I don't think it needs to be thrilling right away, IMO at least. But it should pick up fast.

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
But a thriller can start out slow, where the MC is eating dinner or something like that, then later on something happens and it gets thrilling from that point on. I don't think it needs to be thrilling right away, IMO at least. But it should pick up fast.
Ditto. In Thriller and Suspense, the bad guy (or a representation thereof) can be introduced in later chapters. This is different from Detective (aka Mystery) - type stories where the bad guy (or its representation, which often turns out to be the finding of a dead body) is shown from the very first line.

-cb

Last edited:

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Does it matter? I mean, my understanding is that these are basically marketing categories, all under the umbrella of crime fiction. Personally, I don't worry about whether I'm writing a mystery (The Bookseller) or a thriller (The Crypt Thief), I let my editors fuss about that stuff. :)