I Want to Write Smut, but Don't Know Where to Start

LJD

Registered
Reaction score
Do you read it?

Writer_Writerson

Registered
Reaction score
I have so many ideas to write smut, but I'm either too busy/lazy, writing something that doesn't call for it, or don't know where to start. Can you relate?

Write the stuff that makes you tickle...? The inspiration should be right there!

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
December Quinn is a pen name of a member here. I recommend the book--but keep her secret.

c.m.n.

Beary cute ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Registered
Reaction score
Read it, want it, do it. No seriously, read smut, want to write smut, write your smut!

You can also offer to critique it if you don't mind beta reading.

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
An Archive of Our Own is awesome. I have a couple stories there. One old one that they requested, and recently I posted a new one. First fanfic I've written in tenish years. I'm PlaidPooka in fanfic land, and strictly Potterverse. I certainly recommend fanfic reading to learn more about writing smut. That's how I learned!

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
Take a whack at it (pun intended) and post in SYW.

Noizchild

Registered
Reaction score
Website
noizchild.neocities.org
An Archive of Our Own is awesome. I have a couple stories there. One old one that they requested, and recently I posted a new one. First fanfic I've written in tenish years. I'm PlaidPooka in fanfic land, and strictly Potterverse. I certainly recommend fanfic reading to learn more about writing smut. That's how I learned!

I have an account on Archive of Our Own.

Simone.Garick

Banned
Reaction score
Uhm... You can always nsneak in some smutty steam in anything you write. Secret is, you don't have to leave it in.
Me. I write smut as a fun aside. Just go no where one offs that are only ever meant to be read by me.
As someone said though. Write what tickles you.Inspiration will come naturally when you work with your grain.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
A noble and worthy goal!

TMCan

Registered
Reaction score
Wow it is nice to see so many people know about and are on AO3. I love that site. That's how I started writing smut and now I am about to self-publish a story.

EMaree

a demon for tea
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.emmamaree.com
I adore AO3, but I feel like it's got a notably different audience to erotica and romance ebooks. Published, purchasable work has different rules and quirks: pricing structures, HEAs, and a ton of other things I'm not yet immersed enough to know about.

If you're wanting to eventually publish your awesome smut, make sure you're reading the stuff that's selling as well as the stuff that's free.

SkadiaTrazon

Registered
Reaction score
Honestly the biggest thing to remember to to write what you know. It sounds simple but applying it is a wonderful thing. It really can change how something reads. Let me give a quick example. I'm a lesbian, so right there we know my straight sex scenes are nowhere near as together as my girl on girl scenes. I asked myself why that was, one day. My partner asked, "what's the difference?" Then it dawned on me that I knew next to nothing about having sex with men. It was stupidly simple.

So write what you know. If you like girls with big butts, write it! Guys with massive packages? Doooo ittt! Even kinks, if you know it, own it! Odds are, someone else wants to read it.

JeanLuc

Registered
Reaction score
I have so many ideas to write smut, but I'm either too busy/lazy, writing something that doesn't call for it, or don't know where to start. Can you relate?

Not really. I guess my question to you would be, why do you want to write smut? It doesn't seem to be a desire that's welling up from inside you.

Is it to make money? I don't have a problem with that, but to make money writing erotica usually takes a lot of writing. Tons of writing. It can become mind-numbing at times, even if you're into it. If you're not into it, then I don't hold out much hope.