Did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eruthford

Registered
Reaction score
Website
theydontcry.wordpress.com
It took six years for my agent to find a publisher, but to his everlasting credit, he came through. I'm glad I stayed the course, but there were many dark moments, especially after some of the nice rejections we got. Self-publishing started to look pretty good there for a while...
Now the final difficulties begin: More editing, cover design, marketing, publicity, etc... The Publisher will handle the lion's share of these things, but they are allowing me to have a lot of input.
I will be squawking about this a lot when it finally hits the shelves, so I beg your forgiveness in advance! Onward...

Hi Brutus,
This book sounds quite interesting to me, the sort of thing I'd read. Do you have a summary or a query letter I can look at for more information?

Eric

Rumelo

Registered
Reaction score
Congratulations! So glad you didn't give up. Can't wait to hear what your memoir is about. Yay!

brutus

Registered
Reaction score
Hi Brutus,
This book sounds quite interesting to me, the sort of thing I'd read. Do you have a summary or a query letter I can look at for more information?

Eric,
Here's the bulk of one of my mold query letters. The book will be called "Saigon Kids: A military Brat Comes of Age, 1963-64" but at this point I had a different title.
In May of 1962, my father, Naval Chief Petty Officer Bryant Arbuckle, flew to Vietnam to establish a new Armed Forces Radio Station in downtown Saigon. He promised to send for my mother, two brothers and me when he found us a place to live. Much to my dismay, we followed him over six months later.
In 1963, Saigon was beautiful, dirty and violent -- the most exciting place a fourteen-year-old American boy could live. Running from machine gun fire, watching in horror as a Buddhist monk burned to death, visiting brothels late at night, trading currency on the black market -- there was always something weird to do in Saigon and my friends and I explored with reckless abandon, much to the consternation of our parents and teachers.
When I first arrived in Vietnam, I was certain I would never have any friends again. But like everything else in Saigon, the American social scene was more than I bargained for. Our school was a blend of kids from all over the globe, hanging together as strangers in a strange land so often do. We came of age during the Kennedy era, a time of optimism and hope, when anything was possible. But in Saigon, every ray of hope was followed only by chaos, turmoil, death and destruction.
In spite of the ugliness that was a feature of everyday life, I loved living in Saigon.
The events leading up to Vietnam War provide an unusual backdrop for this coming of age tale with a twist. A Cinder in a Bonfire would also make a perfect companion to the documentary film (sponsored by the New York Foundation for the Arts) currently in production. The film chronicles the lives of military brats living in Saigon between 1958 and 1964, a volatile period in history. My brothers and I will appear in the film. Like me, they were involuntary witnesses with a perspective on Vietnamese history that has received little attention in the literary world.

brutus

Registered
Reaction score
Some people on this site have expressed reservations about Mango Media Publishing, but Mango has done a wonderful job with my book. They didn't offer an advance, but the commission structure is such that I really don't care. I'll make much more in the long run than any advance this unknown writer could have gotten from anyone else, anyway.
We have 3 months until the release date. I've waited fifteen years. I suppose I can wait a few more months...

Saigon Kids is now available as a pre-order:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/1633536335/?tag=absowrit-20

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/saigon-kids-les-arbuckle/1125356621?ean=9781633536333

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Saigon-Kids/Les-Arbuckle/9781633536333?id=6915298943725

http://www.booksamillion.com/p/Saigon-Kids/Les-Arbuckle/9781633536333?id=6915298943725

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.