SVader's step into the unknown of Self Publishing

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
I have been reading through everyone's diary threads, and have been so inspired by them. Although I am still quite a ways away from publishing, I wanted to start my own thread to keep track of where I am in my journey, and perhaps if I misstep, someone will come along and point me in the right direction.

At this point, I have one rough draft of a novel, Finding Grace, complete and working on edits. It's sequel, Angel's Demons, is also about 98% done, and hopefully will be complete in the next couple days. Both novels are romantic suspense.

I have one rough draft of a 25,000 word novelette complete, currently being referred to as Murder Mystery #1, and am working on edits for that. This is book one of what will be a cozy mystery series.

My hope and plan is to:

Finish edits, polish, and publish Murder Mystery #1 (with new title) sometime around February. In 2017, I hope to self publish 3-4 pieces.

While editing is commencing, I am currently working on keeping my blog updated, creating an author page on facebook, and finding someone to create the book covers for the novel series, as well as the novelette series. The blurb for Murder Mystery #1 is being polished up, so that will be ready.

It's a bit overwhelming as I look at all the things needed to do in order to make this a success. I'm taking things one step at a time, and each step closer gets more exciting.

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
Thank you. If you notice I'm doing something wrong along the way, please let me know. This is all trial and error for me, and I'm open to all knowledge and opinions I can get.

Justin K

Registered
Reaction score
Welcome to the self publishing bandwagon. It sounds like you have a plan set up for your work. All I can say is edit it as much as you can, then some more, make sure your cover looks extremely professional, and make sure your blurb for amazon is immaculate and concise; your cover and blurb are what gets those clicks on 'look inside', and if your first chapter(s) are solid, that's gonna be a sale.

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
So, with 2017 arriving in just over an hour, I've made my goals and resolutions for the year. Murder Mystery has been completed, and the critiques are in for the first several chapters so tomorrow the editing begins. It's a fun little story and has gotten positive feedback, so after the first couple of chapters, editing will go pretty quick. I'm working on finding beta readers right now, as well as researching a good quality e-book cover designer. I can't spend a whole lot of money on that, but will do the best I can to get high-quality. Each step I make in this journey has been full of fear and excitement, and as it gets closer, it becomes more real. I've updated my blog, and contacted someone to help me create an author brand, combining romantic suspense with chick-fic. So many things to do, and the clock is ticking away.

CathleenT

I write
Registered
Reaction score
Good for you! It's nice to see someone focused on the excitement rather than fear. I look forward to reading about you reaching your goals. :)

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Ah! Glad to hear you're on schedule. Set yourself goals and keep them, and keep at that, and you'll amaze yourself with what you can accomplish...

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the support, Cathleen and ASeiple. Trudging away still. Murder Mystery is about half way through the edits. In the meantime, I've written a short story that I will have until November to edit, etc. etc. It is a horror Christmas story, roughly 7,500 words long. The two novels are going through an alpha read right now. Editing on those will start February 1st.

Cathleen, the fear is there... oh my gosh it's there. That's what this year is all about for me though. Conquering the fear of failure. Every step I take I get a sense of accomplishment. I think as it gets closer, it will get harder. I just need to get through publishing that first one. Then, I think I will feel much better. Even if I make mistakes along the way, I can learn from them and at least I can say I did it.

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
Yes, I plan on doing a pre-order. At least, it is on my to-do list. The to-do list keeps growing and growing. It grows faster than things get marked off! It's mind boggling! But, one step at a time, right? I will get there. With determination, anything is possible.

Catherine

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
That's funny about the list getting longer. I thought it only happened to me. As long as you keep checking things off the list, you'll get there. Good luck to you!

lizo27

Speshul snowflake
Registered
Reaction score
Good work meeting your goals! Best of luck in your self-pub journey!

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
So, I realized that i hadn't posted in here for six months. Yikes! Where has the time gone?

Murder Mystery #1 is edited. I'm going to do one last run through it to polish it up. Think the title might end up as Dead As A Doorstop, or something along those lines.

Finding Grace made it through beta reads, then through critiques. Final edits are being worked on now and are about half way complete. I had someone talk me into subbing it out so after edits are done, I'll work on the blurb, synopsis, and query. In the meantime, I'm looking into small publishing houses to sub it out to.

I decided, since I know nothing at all about formatting and marketing, I'm going to first publish a short story. I don't expect to make money off it, although a sale would be nice. It will just be tester. In the past six months I've written four shorts, each between 9,000-14,000 words long. So, my new goal is to get one of those edited, critiqued, beta read, polished and published in the next two months.

While that is being done, I'll be working on increasing my social platforms. I have someone helping me fix up my fb author page. I did it myself, but it's pretty dull and boring so that is being fixed.

That's it. That's where I stand for now! Any suggestions? Anything I'm doing wrong?

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
It sounds like you're on the right track! I started by releasing a novella while I was waiting to see if any publisher wanted my first novel, and didn't regret it. Experimentation with the novella and Amazon let me figure out the technical bits and a strategy for releasing my novel, later.

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
It's so good to hear that, because I've watched your journey in awe! Formatting scares the heck out of me, so I figured by starting with a short story, then moving to the novella, by the time I made it to a novel, it would become easier. i love learning new things, but for some reason, maybe because I don't want to completely mess it up, this scares me.

ASeiple

Livin' la vida biblia
Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know that feeling very well. Which is why I'm pretty sure that dipping your toes in with short fiction will help build your self-confidence and develop skill and experience, so that you can drop your novel without much fuss. Start small and build, always keep building.

Glad you've been getting a kick out of my journal. :D I strive to be entertaining.

Norman D Gutter

Engineer Sonneteer
Poetry Book Collaborator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidatodd.com
Svader:

Sounds like you're going about things in the right way. When I made the decision to self-publish, I started with a short story, to get an idea of what it all felt like and the work involved. So I think that's a good decision on your part.

Good luck with it. Keep us posted.
Best Regards,
NDG

Svader

Registered
Reaction score
Thanks! It's been a help, reading everyone else's trials and errors. Love hearing people have success. Everyone's success stories keep me going and gives me hope that one day I'll have my own.