Registered
Reaction score
Sure is. Ain't he cute? :greenie

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You'd think Disney would have already made a cartoon out of him and stocked one of their parks with baby-Groot themed merchandise.

Yeah, it is a little amazing we don't have a talking baby Groot doll ready for our Xmas gift-giving.

The House of Mouse is rolling in so much dough they probably figured, "Eh. Why bother? What's another million or two more?"

anakhouri79

Registered
Reaction score
I have a story about this. I was 7 months pregnant with my second child and visiting my in-laws (4 hours from home) and my husband, brother-in-law and I went to see the first GotG on Saturday night. I'll spare you the details, but around 2 am on Sunday morning I was rushed to the emergency room, my son was born 8 weeks early and was in the NICU a month, meaning I had to stay with my in-laws for a month while husband and first son returned home to work/school. Worst month of my life (2nd son is a fine healthy toddler now).

I always say he was a pain in the ass but at least he let me see Guardians of the Galaxy before he caused a bunch of trouble.

Keithy

Just keep swimming
Registered
Reaction score
I'll admit I hated the first one. And perhaps that surprises even myself, because I love space stuff and superhero stuff.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
First one was terrific--one of my two favorite movies of 2014. Cannot wait for the second.

Jerboa

frelled
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ejtett.weebly.com
I love Guardians of the Galaxy, but I most be the only person (or one of few) who can't stand Groot, and baby Groot looks even worse. Of course I'll still watch this though, even if I will want to lob my snacks at the screen every time Groot's on.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Early reviews are out and here's a spoiler-free one. Indulge yourself or skip it entirely if you want to maintain a clean slate for the flick.

Are you ready for not one, not two, not three, not even four, but FIVE post-credit "stingers?" :Wha: You better be.

DavidBrett

Alas, poor Yorick, he fed me 'nanas
Registered
Reaction score
Website
davidbrettandrews.wordpress.com
Oh my GOODNESS

Words can not describe how much I loved this movie! Vol.1 was already in my favourite movies ever, so needless to say expectations were high. Vol.2 met and exceeded them in so many ways! I can't say I've seen anything like it - definitely no other Marvel movie, not even the original. It's VERY different, but whilst at the same time keeping all the great elements of the first. I can't recommend it strongly enough. And those credit scenes plus the song that plays?! Hoooo boy! :D

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So I went into GoG1 not really knowing what to expect. My first reaction to the trailer was, "What the hell am I even looking at?" as a raccoon and a tree shot up people in a prison. And yet, something about the previews called me to it on the day I went to the theater, so I went in with low expectations. And from the first scene with adult Peter, I was hooked. This was a movie made for me. I would totally be the one singing and dancing my way across a deserted planet. Funny dialogue. Beautiful visuals. Really interesting ships and technology. I loved that movie.

But...I know that there were a lot of things that might not have wowed me if I had gone in knowing what I was getting. The prison scenes don't do much for me--the humor gets me through them--and I'm really not a fan of the Collector or his entire planet. Overall, very enjoyable, but I know that at least part of what I enjoy about it is the novelty of it. I was very worried about GoG2.

I shouldn't have. Right from the start, I could tell I was going to enjoy myself. I agree with DavidBrett, it managed to keep what was great about the first, while growing into something new and better developed than the original. Being past the origin story helped a lot, so now the characters have relationships to capitalize on, and this movie was all about different kinds of relationships. It also did a great job of paying off details from earlier in the movie in a very satisfying way. And of course, there was the music, the banter, the technology.

And Groot.

Actually, though, I felt the visuals were less stunning for me than in the previous movie. Others may like them better.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
So. Freaking. Good! It built up on everything from the previous movie and pushed it all deeper and better, with fantastic payoffs all the way through and so many wonderful but subtle references to things people loved about the first one (Groot and Drax in the opening, for example, had me rolling.) And you can't go wrong with Kurt Russell. Ever. Period. Thoroughly loved it from start to finish.

I dunno, Sage, the visuals for the Yondu and Rocket team-up and the send-off at the end were all kinds of amazing.

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
So one thing that really worked about the opening credits of the original was that it set you up for one thing and then turned that expectation on its head. This dark figure walking through a desolate landscape, using futuristic technology to create holograms. And suddenly he starts lip-syncing and dancing all over the landscape to an upbeat song from the 70s, using a creature as a microphone. This post-flashback opening was a great echo of that. Here you have the Guardians preparing you for this big battle scene. But what do we focus on? Toddler Groot dancing around the battlefield while the battle rages all blurry behind him. Eventually, the music is interrupted and we focus on the battle, just as we eventually focused on a skirmish with bounty hunters in the first movie, but only after a long bit of dancing.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I'm way behind the curve on getting to see this one, but it was really good!

Baby Groot was flawless (and the two scenes with him being in distress were surprisingly distressing.) He's treated like a literal baby, so when you see him being threatened or scared and having beer poured on his head until he's that dejected little seedling that doesn't even notice Rocket until Rocket speaks, it really hits. And the "buried alive" scene where he was crying like an actual human baby was crushing. Having him grow up may be one of the biggest mistakes in the coming movie(s).

I think Kurt Russell was spot-on as the embodiment of Ego, as was Quill's response when he found out what happened to his mother. Christ Pratt's really good at toeing the line between the Guardian version of his character and the one that's still the little boy from Earth.

The Taser-face thing went on for far too long, and it was never funny to begin with.

The interactions between Nebula and Gamora have never felt right to me, and this movie didn't really do anything to improve them. Likewise, half of Drax's scenes with Mantis weren't quite on point, but the ones that worked, *really* worked. Little details like him keeping her above his head as he sank into the ground that really show off his character.

I also liked the video-game atmosphere created for the Sovereigns' ships. Everyone gathered around the last guy standing and cheering him on had a real arcade feel to it.

All minor things. My only real complaint would be with the handling of Yondu.

1 -- GIVE ME and Yondu and Rocket "buddies on the road" movie RIGHT NOW. Those two were perfect together.

2 -- the Yaka Arrow. The way they portray it in the movie, Yondu should be the single most feared being in existence, including Thanos, The Collector, Red Skull, Loki, dark elves, Ultron, Hydra, Hulk, and Hela, even if all of those guys teamed up.

3 -- Given the ending, there should have been more flashback scenes with young-Quill and Yondu, similar to the one he recalled of Yondu teaching him how to shoot. Specifically, there should have been a scene of Yondu teaching him how to use the arrow. Because at the end, it would have been so much more satisfying to see Quill fly "his Daddy's" arrow to the center of Ego's planet and stab his "father's" brain, than it was to see Ego explode.

4 -- I get why they went the route they did with Yondu's end, but it was completely unnecessary. That thing that Quill wears behind his ear, the one that controls his helmet, was enough to keep Gamora alive in space in the first movie. It was enough to Quill alive until he gave it up, even without the thermal shielding. It would have been enough to save him or Yondu, either one, at the end.

(Oh, and one more thing -- I HATED the scene with the ravagers after the mutiny.)

Diana Hignutt

Very Tired
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Terrific. I got a little bit more of soul back after watching. Bless that raccoon and Baby Groot.

bin_b0x

Registered
Reaction score
For those who want to watch it again, or just want to enjoy that amazing soundtrack one more time, the movie is now available (in good quality) on the World Wide Web

Through illegal or legal sources? The movie is still a fairly recent release.