Army Corp Denies Easement at Standing Rock DAPL

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
I know this has been posted in this thread about DAPL and Standing Rock but I really want to make sure people see it.

Most of the direct quotes I'm seeing in news sources and on Twitter are thanking President Obama.

From NPR:

The Army Corps of Engineers has decided to deny a permit for the construction of a key section of the Dakota Access Pipeline.

The decision essentially halts the construction on the 1,172-mile oil pipeline about half a mile south of the Standing Rock Sioux Reservation. The decision is also a victory for the thousands of demonstrators across the country who flocked to North Dakota in protest.

SNOPES on the news

Mother Jones

RT—This is a new source to me; so I'm a little o_O

Seattle Times

Last edited:

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I know this has been posted in this thread about DAPL and Standing Rock but I really want to make sure people see it.

Most of the direct quotes I'm seeing in news sources and on Twitter aure thanking President Obama.

From NPR:
SNOPES on the news

Mother Jones

RT—This is a new source to me; so I'm a little o_O

Seattle Times
This is of course very good news, but the battle is not over.

Fears that the Trump administration will try to reverse this decision are well founded. But given, among other things, that Trump has a financial interest in both the pipeline and its parent company, it may make it more difficult for him to intervene. If he does, I think the protests will grow even larger and maybe finally get enough press to cause the pipeline company to abandon their plans. We can but hope.

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
This is of course very good news, but the battle is not over.

Fears that the Trump administration will try to reverse this decision are well founded. But given, among other things, that Trump has a financial interest in both the pipeline and its parent company, it may make it more difficult for him to intervene. If he does, I think the protests will grow even larger and maybe finally get enough press to cause the pipeline company to abandon their plans. We can but hope.

Trump has sold his shares in Energy Transfer Partners, the parent company behind DAPL.

But he absolutely does support it, so no, it's not over yet.

They're not cancelling the pipe, just re-routing it.

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hooray::snoopy:

ETA: Transformers' Artist Casey Coller, whose Optimus picture I have a version of as my current avatar, altered the original version as a fundraiser to help the Standing Rock Tribe's legal defense fund. He auctioned it on ebay.

Link 1 auction

Link 2 original picture

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why the pipeline outfit didn't go after a less controversial route in the first place. Why exactly do they have to insist on this one? This thing is extending from Alberta to the southern United States. That's a pretty big set of geographical options.

caw

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
I did read that they were working on some kind of deadline to get the pipe operating by April, and they already re-routed it once. Maybe they thought they could force it through without any more significant delays?

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Energy Transfer Partners isn't planning on rerouting despite the ruling.

Link

jennontheisland

the world is at my command
Registered
Reaction score
I don't understand why the pipeline outfit didn't go after a less controversial route in the first place. Why exactly do they have to insist on this one? This thing is extending from Alberta to the southern United States. That's a pretty big set of geographical options.

caw

Corporations have been running roughshod over native lands for a long time. There are rarely legal impediments that cost money in lawyers, usually only a couple protestors who are typically easily moved. Protestors didn't move this time.

This is really only a temporary reprieve. The Army Corps said they need to do more environmental studies. Granted those could be drawn out for years filibuster-style as a means to push the corporation into giving up, but eventually there will have to be a report and recommendations from the study.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
ETP will not reroute nor change plans. They will do no EIAs or reports. They have said so publicly and privately. They will drill and pay fines. If you have enough money, the laws do not apply to you.

Interestingly, a reporter interviewed several North Dakotans who thought the "Indians were too aggressive."

Mainstream media is quite late to the party (with a few outstanding local exceptions) - they had to protest at CNN to get any coverage. And other than Bernie, not a big issue for politicians either. Hillary certainly didn't give a shit.

God, help North Dakota. They need all the prayers they can get. I wish John Trudell was around, but maybe it's good he's not, to see this.

Last edited:

regdog

The Scavengers
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
ETP will not reroute nor change plans. They will do no EIAs or reports. They have said so publicly and privately. They will drill and pay fines. If you have enough money, the laws do not apply to you.
I want to see the Army Corp of Eng tear up everything ETP have done if they take one more step near that water.

Interestingly, a reporter interviewed several North Dakotans who thought the "Indians were too aggressive."

As opposed to the militarized police, and hired mercenaries Blackwater (Sorry I can't remember their new name) armed with rubber bullets, mace, concussion grades, water cannons, armored vehicles, etc.

Mainstream media is quite late to the party (with a few outstanding local exceptions) - they had to protest at CNN to get any coverage. And other than Bernie, not a big issue for politicians either. Hillary certainly didn't give a shit.

I know Jill Stein went to Standing Rock. Obama should have stepped in for Standing Rock after he promised them in 2014 that he had their backs.

bombergirl69

Registered
Reaction score
Army Corps will not (particularly now). Sure, Jill Stein went, and Bernie. but it is NOT a priority for a major candidate (or party for that matter) Obama has been a disappointment (major). He may not have had many options but taking a public stand would have been helpful.No one "has their backs" sadly although the veterans have been an interesting addition. And yes, I'll see if I can find that clip - they interview the woman then intersperse the footage of Natives being sprayed with water, the girl's arm, all that, and then ask her which side is more aggressive. And she says "The Indians are too aggressive." Amazing.

Roxxsmom

Beastly Fido
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
doggedlywriting.blogspot.com
Unless the fines are greater than any profits that can be made by a venture like this, corporations will indeed do what they want and take the hit. I hope I'm wrong, but I suspect this isn't over yet.