An Agatha Christie Denouement

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
I think I know the answer to this already but I live in my own bubble and wanted to double check. You know how in a lot of AC's books she gathers everyone in the drawing room to denounce the killer? Well, I want to do that.

In my last book, I had a locked-door mystery, which was a ton of fun constructing. Now I want to honor another mystery tradition with an old-fashioned denouement. What do you think? I suspect the answer is, "It depends on how you do it," which is fine because I know how I want to and I think it works. But if it's a terrible, corny, cheesy, horrible idea from the get-go no matter how it's done, I'd better find that out now...

Thoughts?

Chris P

Likes metaphors mixed, not stirred
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Agatha Christie mysteries were the first "grown up" books I got into. As for the denoument, I liked it. It was a chance for me to see if I caught on to the things I was supposed to, and to resolve things I saw but couldn't figure out. It was fun. It was even more fun when I was right (which wasn't often).

However, I suspect such endings are currently out of style. I think a lot of people would see it at best as a Scooby-dooish cheesefest, and at worst the author showing off how clever he was.

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
They were quite the thing on TV in the 70s and 80s: Barnaby Jones, Murder, She Wrote, Matlock.

Probably a lot more common in cozies. I'd be glad to give it an alpha or beta read if you want a specific opinion.

ironmikezero

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
Mark, if it's fun for you, then do it.

That little voice echoing in the depths of your mind won't relent until you do--and you know it.

Besides, we all know you could pull it off with style . . . Go for it!

frimble3

Heckuva good sport
Registered
Reaction score
I don't know that it's a 'terrible, corny, cheesy' idea, but have a good explanation why a) the detective is doing this in someone's home, instead of at a police station (whether private detective, amateur sleuth, or policeman - surely they'd want official back-up and not just rely on ethics to make the accused wait for the police to arrive?) and b) why the murderer, on hearing "Can we please all gather in the drawing room, I have something to disclose" wouldn't just bolt out the nearest exit?

I can better understand the variant in which the police arrive, haul off the suspect (or grab the suspect off-stage) and then the detective gathers up the group of suspects and explains what happened and why.
I suppose IRL most people just have to hear through the grape-vine, but in a confined setting, or with an amateur detective, this would be more likely. (You would know better than I, if telling this stuff to the others involved would potentially mess with the testimony at the trial.)

MarkEsq

Clever title pending.
Registered
Reaction score
In the wilds of Texas. Actually, the liberal oasi
Just to add some info. My hero, Hugo, is a professional not an amateur, he's a bibliophile who grew up with Poirot et al doing this. He's doing it in the conservatory of a hotel, with the lead cop's permission (they're friends). The hotel is also full of, and surrounded by, cops. And finally, as Hugo knows (and will reveal), the real killer isn't really someone who could fight their way out of trouble.

Thanks for all the feedback (and kind words), I'm writing it and having fun. Bob, I may take you up on that offer, merci bien. I have two lovely people who always read my stories and will tell me if it works, but it's good to know it's worth a try.

Thanks again!

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think it could be delightful. One of my AC favorites has always been The Tuesday Club Murders.

I say: go for it!

MM

goldenage

Registered
Reaction score
Definitely go for it! There's a reason she's the best there ever was.

Bergerac

Reading & Writing
Registered
Reaction score
Well, these types of endings are not passe, not at all. A lot of good literary mysteries, particularly those with a sense of fun, incorporate this style of ending. Often, however, they're set in the past, but not always. For example, Christopher Fowler's Peculiar Crime Unit novel, A MEMORY OF BLOOD has such a denouement in a theatre (and even a ticking clock -- you know, the murderer MUST be unveiled at the stroke of midnight). One of Fred Vargas' Commissaire Adamsberg mysteries (though off the top of my head I can't remember which one) ends this way. Reginald Hill also had a mystery that ended with an assemblage of the suspect. And of course, Louise Penny enjoys this style of ending, though in a more post-climatic ending. And lots of others, too. And if you go into the Victorian-era, there's lots more, but the books I've mentioned are all contemporary. So, the Agatha Christie denouement is very much alive and well. Hugo fits right in -- he's in good company.

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Do it! It's one of the devices I love about Death in Paradise (which is TV not books, granted, but a successful current example). I find it very entertaining and satisfying, as would many devoted readers of the genre I think.

Last edited:

Ellis Clover

watching The Office again
Registered
Reaction score
Agatha Christie mysteries were the first "grown up" books I got into. As for the denoument, I liked it. It was a chance for me to see if I caught on to the things I was supposed to, and to resolve things I saw but couldn't figure out. It was fun. It was even more fun when I was right (which wasn't often).

However, I suspect such endings are currently out of style. I think a lot of people would see it at best as a Scooby-dooish cheesefest, and at worst the author showing off how clever he was.

I don't think there's anything inherently bad about a 'cheesefest'. I mentioned it above, but the contemporary TV series Death In Paradise is about as slapstick and cheesy as TV mysteries get at the moment, and it's one of the highest-rating British shows in years. It's an incredibly fun watch, I would say largely because its tropes are so familiar and comforting.

Last edited: