Status
Not open for further replies.

ShaunHorton

AW's resident Velociraptor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
So, an extended trailer has been released today, are there any other Resident Evil fans here? I would love to get other people's take on this new addition, or even to discuss the series.

I have my concerns about this new game. It feels heavily stolen from Outlast to me, and given that RE6 ended with basically an apocalypse scenario, I have to wonder if there's any discussion about that, if this turns out to be a prequel, or even a reboot. It is nice that it's going back to survival horror, as opposed to action horror full of quick-time events and jumpscares. But like I said, it feels a LOT like Outlast to me, and I can't help but wonder if the whole decision of first-person was made to take advantage of the new VR technology.

Anyone else have any thoughts? Are you planning to get it when it comes out? Skip it until reviews start rolling in? Or pass entirely?

Wolfalisk

Registered
Reaction score
I doubt it will be a day one buy for me. To this day I haven't played Resident Evil 6. I was a big fan of the old Resident Evils but I also greatly enjoyed 4 and 5. Five took the action to the absolute limit that I would want out of a Resident Evil game, and I understand that 6 took it way over the edge. Personally, I want to return to the "feeling" of Resident Evil 1 in terms of horror and survival elements. When you accidentally wasted a shotgun shell in RE1 or RE2 your heart skips a beat, because you know how scarce they are. In RE4 and RE5 you spend one shell killing a Ganado and 4 spawn as a pickup on his body. Ammunition scarcity is a big part of the Resident Evil feeling.

ShaunHorton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
RE6 wasn't bad, but they really tried to please EVERYBODY. Hence four short campaigns branching through the whole story. You played as Chris for the punch-em action, the new guy for the RE4 style, Ada Wong gave you the stealth play, and Leon gave you some of that old RE2 feel. Each chapter was too short though, and it left the whole game unsatisfying no matter what your preference was. It also ended with an apocalypse, like I said, which leaves me wondering where 7 comes in.

Cernex

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the older Resident Evil games (I can still beat 2 AND get Hunk in a single sitting... and beat Hunk), and sadly 7 is just lacking everything that made the originals, well, Resident Evil games. Don't get me wrong, the game looks good and plays well enough, but to me personally it feels more like "Capcom's P.T!" than Resident Evil. I don't blame them for trying new things either (specially after the reception 6 got), but to me they seem to be going farther and farther away from what made the first games so great.That's just me, tho'.

Shadow Dragon

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a fan of the older Resident Evil games (I can still beat 2 AND get Hunk in a single sitting... and beat Hunk), and sadly 7 is just lacking everything that made the originals, well, Resident Evil games. Don't get me wrong, the game looks good and plays well enough, but to me personally it feels more like "Capcom's P.T!" than Resident Evil. I don't blame them for trying new things either (specially after the reception 6 got), but to me they seem to be going farther and farther away from what made the first games so great.That's just me, tho'.
Really? Despite it being in first person, this game feels a lot closer to the old style survival horror games than RE5 and 6 did.

Matt T.

Registered
Reaction score
My experience with RE only comes from playing RE4 and most of RE5, but I'm excited for this one. I love these kind of first-person horror games like P.T., Outlast, and Amnesia, and this one looks to be in the same vein.

I completely understand fan concerns that this looks almost nothing like the rest of the series as of late, but I'm honestly fine with that. I'm not so big on the action focus the RE games seemed to adopt starting with 4.

aprettytruestory

eating my words
Registered
Reaction score
I pretty much agree with Cernex. I love the Resident Evil series; in fact I met my spouse on an RE game. 4 and 5 were excellent and pretty enough additions to the series, respectively, while 6 was a complete letdown (IMHO - it did a few things right but got so many wrong (weird glitches, why is Call of Duty randomly in my horror game?) that 4 years later, I'm still kinda mad when I think about the fact that I dropped $60 for it on release day*).

Because I was heavily burned by 6 I'm now waiting for reviews for 7; and even then I probably won't buy it until there are a LOT of reviews (not just IGN, but Amazon users, etc.) I'm also wary because 7 doesn't really look like an RE game - so far, none of the main enemies (zombies, cerberus, lickers, etc.) seem to appear. If I didn't know what I was looking at, I never would have pegged it for Resident Evil (I'd probably guess Outlast 2, or some Silent Hills PT copycat). I've played the Kitchen Demo in PSVR at PAX and it is incredible, graphically speaking (and the VR is great), but again, not a whole lot to make you think "I'm playing a Resident Evil game!" But if you like Outlast and Amnesia, then 7 seems like it will be right up your alley.

*yes, I can hold a grudge like nobody's business

Spooky

Even the sphinx has eyes O_O
Registered
Reaction score
I am a big nutjob on the early resident evils, that quaintly infuriating style just kills me. They should just shoot the locks, smash the windows and never split up but that would make things too easy. 4 had a phenomenal balance, it departed from the shore but it had just the correct recipe to retain the unmistakable RE sheen or whatever. Everything that came after did not get an above average score on my REscale. I understand why things changed, they perfected the old way of the survival horror experience in REmake and RE2 for me. Would rather they try new horizons than do paler versions of earlier games. 7 however I consider to have swayed back into the right kinda territory, it's got a grotesque vibe running through it and forces you right in the mess face first and you have to do a little more thinking and sweating (would've liked more variation to flee around, nothing had me thinking wow this house is one of the best things I've ever fled through! Doesn't compel me like the old mansions and doomed backstreets). It is as much injected with the foul moonshine of Amnesia:the dark descent as it is encouraged by the spirit of resident evil, I thought the last part of the game saw things return to the dreary kind of sludge served up in 5 and 6 so that was a let down. Anything is better than ''Simmons, we have to stop him'' being repeated ten thousand times or Redfield punching a boulder right in the boulderface.

Last edited:

ShaunHorton

Registered
Reaction score
Website
shaunhorton.blogspot.com
So, I guess it's official that this is post- RE6. not a reboot or a prequel. Leaves a lot of new questions to be answered though before it actually makes any sense.

Zoombie

Dragon of the Multiverse
Registered
Reaction score
I got to admit, the lets plays I've seen of Resi7 make me actually REALLY tempted to buy it.

But...I never beat Alien: Isolation.

Ever.

Shit, I haven't even started Alien: Isolation since when I alt-F4'd out of there while the alien walked towards me.

ww412

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a huge fan of The Resident Evil games having played them all up to the 6th part.

It did take me a lot of time to beat the sixth one mostly because I played it so on and off and eventually got bored of it. Looking at a resident Evil 7 it looks interesting but I feel like if I buy it, I won't finish it. Who knows? Maybe I'll borrow it from my friend who I'm sure will buy it.

Cheers

Status
Not open for further replies.