The 2016-2017 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I got dinged for a comma splice in my story. I looked it up and saw the same Wiki definition but wasn't sure what to do about it so I kinda just...took the comma out.:Shrug: Can't be a comma splice if there is no comma, right?

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Lol. Funny (and good example!).

Dang! As usual, I miss the joke. Sorry Marlys. Just call me Ms Oblivious. :Shrug:

I got dinged for a comma splice in my story. I looked it up and saw the same Wiki definition but wasn't sure what to do about it so I kinda just...took the comma out.:Shrug: Can't be a comma splice if there is no comma, right?

My solutions when I get dinged for it is to just turn the comma into a period - resulting in two sentences instead of the one.

*cackles evolly at Tiddly* :evil

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
AH! BRILLIANT!!

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
My solutions when I get dinged for it is to just turn the comma into a period - resulting in two sentences instead of the one.

I see what you did there.
:D

GUYS I THINK I'M DONE! I AM ALSO SUSPICIOUS THAT THERE'S A SPITBALL IN MY HAIRZ

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Woo Hoo! Way to go, Blinkksie! *pours Blinkksie a glass of wine and surreptitiously picks spitball out of her hair*

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Awww wait. I'm rereading some parts. This is all wrong. I'm gonna turn in a partial story. :( The second half is almost done but there's this big stupid plothole that I just can't fill in. I'm gonna have to go to the store and buy more potting soil to cover it up.

Awww boo. I'm gonna turn in my first 10k words (lololololol) tomorrow and then finish up the other half this week. This story totally ran away on me. Damn, I'm actually stupidly close to turning this into a fully fleshed novel. This story grew up. It went to college. Now its graduated, but it's coming back home to live with meeeeeeee. I'm trying to kick it out of my house, but now it's asking me if it can move its rock band into my basement. JUST GO GET A JOB, DAMN KID! Wow, sometimes I don't like being a parent author.

Haha, after this event I will definitely expand on this story and make it a straight up novel. We're basically halfway there.

*drinks wine anyway* Yum

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Wow, Blinkksie, you've outdone yourself if HALF of your story is 10K! My whole story (minus the epilogue) is just over 12K. You totally deserve wine for that effort! :e2drunk:

Potting soil, and maybe some spackle ought to fill in that plothole. :greenie

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Surreptitiously scribbling down word counts...

What? Oh, no reason.

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
*skims over conversation before heading back to edits*

Noon, you said? EST?

Daylight Savings ("Spring Forward") means losing an hour? Um...

*tries not to panic*

I GOT THIS!!

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
Yes! You can do it, Lil! :e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

The deadline is actually midnight on the 12th, but don't tell your procrastinating self.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
*shakes head*

Didn't you check the announcement about the deadline being extended?

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Welp, it's been a slow-as-molasses adventure, but barring unforeseen circumstances tomorrow, I will have a complete draft by turn-in time. (And I'll send Cobra the excerpt in the morning in case he's prepping for posting.)
:e2thud:

I LOVE this prompt, and I hope the story does it some measure of justice. Thanks again to all of the patient folks who graciously went along with the extended deadline. :e2grouphu

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
For better or worse, Cobra is now in possession of my story. :scared::gone:

And for everyone still writing and editing and doing the finishing touches: :e2cheer: Y'all got this! :e2grouphu:yessmiley:TheWave:

(Why yes, insomnia + spring forward does lead to smilie abuse.)