The 2016-2017 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
There, sent in.

I was all ready to send it in the 8th and then got sick to the point I was almost incoherent and had to remove all my last edits because they made no sense and finally crawled into bed without remembering to send it off. :e2thud:So, so, so glad there was a second extension.

So yeah, didn't get beta'd and I probably purpetrated all sort of crimes against punctuation, basic formatting and the English language in general. The beginning is a bit too slow still. And I just know there will be at least one word that doesn't mean what I think it means and propably one timeline error.

But you know, I'm pretty happy with it as is.

Cobramisfit, you are god for organising this.

Gifter, if I don't respond immediately on Monday, I'm just not in condition to read yet, I promise it will have nothing to do with your gift!

And now I'm back off to bed before the fever meds kick in.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
It's getting closer! :hooray::hooray::hooray:Daylight Saving Time starts this weekend, which means we have one less hour to wait!

Can't wait to see if my gifter is someone whose writing I'm already really familiar with, or if it'll be a totally new reading experience!

Gaahhhh!! So exciting!!!

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
*runs around in circles with a wine glass in each hand*

Sooooooooooooooooooooooon.........!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :hooray:

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
*thunks head against desk*

Uhhhhhhgggggggg.

*dreams of ripping keyboard from computer, tossing it through plate-glass window*

feyngirl

Absolute Parsley
Registered
Reaction score
Website
alackoftheologyandgeometry.wordpress.com
I'm really looking forward to Monday too... last year I was all :hooray: and :partyguy: and:roll: and:banana:. But who knows, perhaps this year I'll be :Clap: and then :PartySmil with a bit of :snoopy: and finally some :eggplant. As Forrest Gump would say, Sisyphus is like a box of chocolates. You never know if you'll get a praline or a tiny magically charged weapon that will turn you into a sheep.

*thunks head against desk*

Uhhhhhhgggggggg.

*dreams of ripping keyboard from computer, tossing it through plate-glass window*
You can do it! I know it's so frustrating when the words won't come. You're almost at the finish line! See it coming up ahead? Smell the sweet sweat of victory? No? Perhaps it's me then. Or paddismac.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
It's getting closer! :hooray::hooray::hooray:Daylight Saving Time starts this weekend, which means we have one less hour to wait!

Can't wait to see if my gifter is someone whose writing I'm already really familiar with, or if it'll be a totally new reading experience!

Gaahhhh!! So exciting!!!

You just gave me a whole new perspective of Daylight Savings Time! :e2woo:

I'm really looking forward to Monday too... last year I was all :hooray: and :partyguy: and:roll: and:banana:. But who knows, perhaps this year I'll be :Clap: and then :PartySmil with a bit of :snoopy: and finally some :eggplant. As Forrest Gump would say, Sisyphus is like a box of chocolates. You never know if you'll get a praline or a tiny magically charged weapon that will turn you into a sheep.
You mean... The Sheepinator?

Last edited:

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
You can do it! I know it's so frustrating when the words won't come. You're almost at the finish line! See it coming up ahead? Smell the sweet sweat of victory? No? Perhaps it's me then. Or paddismac.
Thank you!!

It smells a big like manure....I won't assign blame.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
*kicks back with a glass of wine* You know it's the 12th here right now, right? *watches ensuing panic with glee*

What? I gotta do something for entertainment until the stories get distributed!

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
*is panicked and writing frantically, so much so that she doesn't have proper time to write a full comment*

*Eyes jaymz. Wads up spit ball. Tosses into wine glass*

*Back to writing*

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
I've been working on edits, feeling great...until I looked down and noticed I'm only on page ten. Out of lots and lots of pages.

Also, what's a comma splice? Apparently I do that a lot and my beta reader doesn't like it?? What, like I'm supposed to knows howda writ?

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
*picks spitball out of wine glass and flicks it at Blinkk* Write like the wind, Blinkky!

I dunno what a comma splice is either, Lil. But I wouldn't sweat it. The story doesn't need to be publication ready at all.

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
*spitball hits head. Doesn't notice. Still writing.*

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a comma splice is another term for a run-on sentence that uses too many commas, so like this sentence here is a run-on on purpose, where sentence 2 starts at the first comma, comma-splice, see?

I could be wrong though. I don't know.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
*giggles at the spitball stuck to the back of Blinkksies head*

That sounds plausible, Cliff.

Lillian_Blaire

Registered
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure a comma splice is another term for a run-on sentence that uses too many commas, so like this sentence here is a run-on on purpose, where sentence 2 starts at the first comma, comma-splice, see?

I could be wrong though. I don't know.
Hmm. What you're saying makes sense. I'll have to see if run-on sentences are the problem because I don't usually have a problem with them, but rather, struggle with too many small, choppy sentences and repetitive words and telling rather than showing, which no one likes but I can't seem to avoid because I'm trying to reiterate what I'm saying but I guess it isn't necessary and it underestimates the intelligence of the readers, which is the number one no-no among writing, so.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
*kicks back with a glass of wine* You know it's the 12th here right now, right? *watches ensuing panic with glee*

What? I gotta do something for entertainment until the stories get distributed!

*stuffs bird into dirty sock and throws into plot bunny closet*

I fed them after midnight :evil

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
*stuffs bird into dirty sock and throws into plot bunny closet*

I fed them after midnight :evil

*plots with the plot bunnies about sending zombie pirate ideas to Tiddly - and laughs (cause that's what kookaburras do)*

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
I wish I knew what a comma splice is, I'm afraid I might do one.

Jaymz Connelly

Registered
Reaction score
According to Wikipedia:

A comma splice is the use of a comma to join two independent clauses. For example: It is nearly half past five, we cannot reach town before dark. Although acceptable in some languages and compulsory in others (e.g. Bulgarian or French),comma splices are usually considered style errors in English.

Pfft. I don't think there's anything wrong with the occasional comma splice.