The 2016-2017 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hmmmm.... still not listed in the participants list.....

Sorry. I've been away from my computer and am on my phone. Both you and Lisa are in queue/all set/very handsome. I'll update the front page late tonight or tomorrow morning.

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Okay, so based on the input, we'll keep the idea of universal prompt elements (emo vampire manatees, etc) in the "exceptionally optional" bin. The spirit of the Sisyphus is a story based on a giftee's prompt, so that will remain the focus. If folks WANT to add brooding, sparkling goats to their story, the community can enjoy such witty and clever usage of a nutty concept, but there will be no official rules or expectations placed on the participants.

Sound good, gang?
Sounds good!

And to the victim person who gets my silly prompt: feel free to chuck whatever doesn't work for your story. :)

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Okay, so based on the input, we'll keep the idea of universal prompt elements (emo vampire manatees, etc) in the "exceptionally optional" bin. The spirit of the Sisyphus is a story based on a giftee's prompt, so that will remain the focus. If folks WANT to add brooding, sparkling goats to their story, the community can enjoy such witty and clever usage of a nutty concept, but there will be no official rules or expectations placed on the participants.

Sound good, gang?

Whoever gets my prompt—please don't worry about trying to work this added prompt in. I mean, really. This doesn't need added complications.

And whoever I'm writing for, don't hold your breath for me to add this. I often struggle working from prompts, so this isn't helping.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Yeah, whomever gets my prompt doesn't have to sweat trying to fit an emo sparkly goat into the story either. In fact, even if you do include it, I'd just as much prefer it only be a VERY brief mention.

If it turned out that the person who's prompt I get really, really, REALLY wanted this universal prompt in there I'd try to slip it in somehow, but it would most likely be only a very brief mention of a sparkly goat. I make no guarantees about the emo part.

Whoever gets my prompt—please don't worry about trying to work this added prompt in. I mean, really. This doesn't need added complications.

And whoever I'm writing for, don't hold your breath for me to add this. I often struggle working from prompts, so this isn't helping.
You mean you *don't* want sparkly, twee, goat fairies with wings flying around being sparkly and twee? :p

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
:hi:

Sound good, gang?
"Exceptionally optional" seems ideal to me. :)

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
"Sparkly emo vampire goat" made the plot bunnies very excited. I've had to lock them in the closet with my inner editor to keep things under control.

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
...I may end up adding in a sparkly goat, if I can find a way to cram it in. Just because it makes me (and probably only me) laugh

CheG

Registered
Reaction score
Website
chegilson.blogspot.com
Yay!! Someone will be getting TWO stories this year! (And I know a couple people got two last year) But this is my first time just gifting. I like the challenge of writing a story.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
There is no prize on this earth that would make me willingly incorporate sparkly emo vampires in any story... however I would totally include a sparkly goat if requested.

*perks* Did someone say sparkly?

:hi: Hi!
So, Tiddlywinks told me I absolutely had to sign up for this. And after all the snorts and laughter while reading this thread, I'd say it sounds like a good time!

Hoorah, Lisa! You'll have lots of fun, I swear. And if not, well, perhaps there will be a sparkly grim reaper or a little reaper mouse being chased by sparkly, brooding goats in your story, eh?

:evil

You mean you *don't* want sparkly, twee, goat fairies with wings flying around being sparkly and twee? :p

I...that sounds...*plot bunny perks* No. NO! Bad plot bunny. BACK IN THE CLOSET WITH YOU!

"Sparkly emo vampire goat" made the plot bunnies very excited. I've had to lock them in the closet with my inner editor to keep things under control.

I'm with Aggy on this.

Though I swear I will not include such an instance of sparkly...erm, goats...if my giftee just said oh heck no upthread. That is not to say there won't be other sparkly things in the story, depending on the mood.

Michele AKA Twig

Lurking In The Corner...
Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I haven't been on AW since... last spring, I think. I had a really craptastic summer and fall. :(by craptastic, I mean I lost my house and am now living in the corner of my brothers basement:(

So that's what I'm going to use for my prompt: give a story with all the feels of someone/something losing everything and having to deal with the aftermath. Be creative. It doesn't have to be loved ones or property.

As for what I'm willing to write. I don't do romance. Everything else is fair game.

repping Cobra in a minute...

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All caught up with prompts. Sitting at 50 participants and 1 Giver Only. I may toss my hat in the ring as well depending on how we look by COB tomorrow.

That said, WE ARE NEARING THE DEADLINE FOR SIGN UPS. FYI in case you know someone desperate to play, but waiting until the last minute because tension!

Soon we shall release the hounds*.....

*If by hounds you mean prompts. But still....

Last edited:

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, is the optional prompt really sparkly goats? If so, you can count me out on that. I don't want to kill the fun but ... no thank you.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Wait, is the optional prompt really sparkly goats? If so, you can count me out on that. I don't want to kill the fun but ... no thank you.

Actually, there's no universal/optional prompt. Instead, folks who were thinking of writing sparkling emo goat vampires may wind up doing so as a wink-wink or an overy BWAHAHAHA to their giftee. But the focus remains the prompt you'll receive on Christmas morning.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
AH, ok. In that case I'll edit my entry post to note I want no such goating around. *cough*

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, there's no universal/optional prompt. Instead, folks who were thinking of writing sparkling emo goat vampires may wind up doing so as a wink-wink or an overy BWAHAHAHA to their giftee. But the focus remains the prompt you'll receive on Christmas morning.

Well, thank the gods for that small mercy!

I wouldn't dream of writing about some filthy, lascivious, parasite-ridden —

Oh wait... never mind... :gone:

tianaluthien

What I do is not up to you
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
WE'RE SO CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

::runs around in circles balancing wine bottles and glasses::

Someone distract Tiddles. She has a habit of stealing my wine.

Ari Meermans

MacAllister's Official Minion & Greeter
Registered
Reaction score
I wasn't initially in favor of the optional prompt; but, hey, it's your story, dear gifter. I did add a stipulation, though:

If you do wish to include the optional prompt, let your inner child's creativity flow. Do, however, make it an integral part of your story. Don't "plug" it; stretch yourself.

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
WE'RE SO CLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOSE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

::runs around in circles balancing wine bottles and glasses::

Someone distract Tiddles. She has a habit of stealing my wine.

Here, I'll keep that safe for you.

Besides, you're likely to drop them running around like that and that would be alcohol abuse!

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Haha, don't worry, I won't put in the goat if my giftee doesn't want one :ty: Although I may write in a line about it, and then edit it out of the version I send