The 2016-2017 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
Given how messy this place has become you might want to be careful where you set that popcorn.

I'M JUST SAYIN'

*is absolutely not procrastinating*

*retreats inside hermetically sealed bubble*
*procrastinates*

As for myself, I don't mind if it gets dark or if there's sexual tension/outright sex, if it's version 0.0 or 5.0. I'd just be glad I got a story! ^_^

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Yep. What Bobo said. No one is expecting to receive the next Pulitzer, so don't sweat that it's not perfect. There's stuff I would change on my story but... *shrugs* It is what it is. Trying to change stuff now would make me way late (plus I've already sent it off to CM).

*gets out the fire hose to wash down all the flung shit*

To all those still struggling with words... YOU CAN DO IT!! :e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer::e2cheer:

Are we there yet? :Jump:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
And, after struggling to get any fiction writing done this month due to plenty of other demands on my time, and despite it not being a long story (the shortest of my five Sisyphuses to date)...I'm done!

In first draft anyway.

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
I made more progress on the ending rewrite today to the point I think I might finish it tomorrow! EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP! Once it's done I'm going to use one of those things that will read it back to me to help look for any last typos and such and then it's going to Cobra. Sooo, I'm going set myself a timeline and say that it should be Thursday or Friday that I send it in. Should be interesting to see what it's like to submit something early for once. :p

- - - Updated - - -

Yay, Eyeblink!

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
I just read back over my story. The early parts are good, but boy does the end read like slapped-together shit. Or flung shit. Whichever one reads worse. :tongue

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
Then update it and send the newest version to Cobra.

*zips up Hazmat suit*

I can do that? Sweeeet

Aww I'm sorry about the mess. There's leftover birthday cake in the other room; go get your nibble on while I hose things off. :Cake:

At this point, I'm not fighting off Sisyphus 5.0 getting a little dark. I hope my giftee doesn't mind some low key sexual tension between the protag and antag. It won't evolve past tension, I swear.

Cake you say? I'll just eat it super carefully so it doesn't touch anything

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
I should be editing, but so far I've done the first bit of spring-pruning in the garden, scooped out debris out of the garden ponds, planted verbena seeds, dug a path through the cluttered basement (again) and sorted two kilos of screws and nails. I'd feel good about that but I know a write-avoiding working spree when I see one. Really should get this thing edited.

Oh, you're going to make me do that all alone, huh?
Naah, I'll be right behind you.

Or...you just meant I lost out on a smelly high-five?

*wallows in the shit-slapping muck*
I'm gonna start lobbing soap at you lot any minute now.

KateSmash

this was a triumph
Registered
Reaction score
Is it nice soap? The kind made with milk and honey and smells like sunshine? :e2shower:

*may or may not be a bath addict*

Lillian_Blaire

Procrastinator Extraordinaire
Registered
Reaction score
My story's been officially thrown to the wolves. I uploaded it to my writing group's site so it can be torn apart at tonight's reading.
Yay! I'm sure it will be amazing.

Is it nice soap? The kind made with milk and honey and smells like sunshine? :e2shower:

What are the chances it's luxury soap? I'm gonna guess slim to none.

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
Phew! All that slapping and slinging has worked wonders! I've got so much good happening on the page right now... I suppose I should volunteer for the clean-up crew.

I'm getting ominously close to the BIG REVEAL. So much has to happen then, almost simultaneously, and my brain is already going:scared::Headbang::Wha::e2thud:at the prospect.

(<sigh> This thing is friggin' LONG...)

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score

I never liked soaps or shampoo that smell of food. I think that's just disaster waiting to happen and one of these days I'll end up having a weak moment and will spend the next few hours spitting out bubbles...

Best avoid that temptation.

But I've got some nice one with seaweed. Smells a big naff, but's good for the skin and gets dirt off like woah.

Have been meaning to try this stinging nettles soap recipe I've come across because my butterflies are snobs and don't want all the nettles I specifically keep around for them and it's getting rediculous the way they spread. (The bleedin' nettles not the butterflies.) But I haven't found the time yet.

Last edited:

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
So if, theoretically, there was a draft of a story and I wanted some eyes on it BEFORE Friday (last minute, I know) are there BETAs available? Have I misunderstood?

Also - I can't believe the swap is so close. Looking forward to it.

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
*makes mistake of looking at story again* Oh my god, this flung-shit ending is so crappy. I don't think I have time or brain cells enough to do much to fix it before the deadline.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
So if, theoretically, there was a draft of a story and I wanted some eyes on it BEFORE Friday (last minute, I know) are there BETAs available? Have I misunderstood?

Also - I can't believe the swap is so close. Looking forward to it.

Yes, there are betas available. Taken from Cobra's first post in this thread:

Betas:

1) Shadowflame

2) Ari Meermans

3) Marlys

4) Damoclian

5) feyngirl

<redacted>

7) themindstream

8) smokymountainlvr

9) PastyAlien

10) paddismac

11) griffins

It's my understanding that you can send one (or more) of those people a message, asking if they have time to beta your story. Just, y'know, don't message whoever your giftee is, if they're on that list. :)

Last edited:

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Yes, there are betas available. Taken from Cobra's first post in this thread:

It's my understanding that you can send one (or more) of those people a message, asking if they have time to beta your story. Just, y'know, don't message whoever your giftee is, if they're on that list. :)
I need to pull my name from the beta list. I had a medical issue on the 11th and have been unable to do anything productive since, and I simply don't have the bandwidth to beta, unfortunately. :cry: (I had the honor of beta reading stories a couple of weeks ago. Giftees, you're in for a treat!)

Plussssssss, I still have my own story to do (currently only in drafty outline form from the beginning of the month). I'm not doing much typing, so the plan is to write it in bits and pieces using Dragon. I'm used to using dictation for rouuuuuugh rough drafts, but not for final stuff. It's a Sisyphus Challenge! Woo? :)

*dons adaptive shit-slapping accouterment*

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
Oh no! Get well soon, Riv!

As for me, I should only be considered a code-red, emergency beta at this point. Unfortunately, I still have to pull a story out my ass for Sisyphus, while some betas on that list are grossly diligent and have manuscripts so polished they practically glow with over-achievement (cough, Damoclian, cough). Yes, I hate non-procrastinators too. But truly, as Riv said, you giftees are in for a treat (and maybe a Pulitzer-prize winner or two)!

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
I need to pull my name from the beta list. I had a medical issue on the 11th and have been unable to do anything productive since, and I simply don't have the bandwidth to beta, unfortunately. :cry: (I had the honor of beta reading stories a couple of weeks ago. Giftees, you're in for a treat!)

Plussssssss, I still have my own story to do (currently only in drafty outline form from the beginning of the month). I'm not doing much typing, so the plan is to write it in bits and pieces using Dragon. I'm used to using dictation for rouuuuuugh rough drafts, but not for final stuff. It's a Sisyphus Challenge! Woo? :)

*dons adaptive shit-slapping accouterment*

No, Riv!!! :O You simply mustn't! Medical issues are among the worst issues and are all ill-advised at best. D: I strongly recommend you do everything within your power to get well as quickly as is Riv-ly possible! Do it, Get well NAO! :p :Hug2:

Oh no! Get well soon, Riv!

As for me, I should only be considered a code-red, emergency beta at this point. Unfortunately, I still have to pull a story out my ass for Sisyphus, while some betas on that list are grossly diligent and have manuscripts so polished they practically glow with over-achievement (cough, Damoclian, cough). Yes, I hate non-procrastinators too. But truly, as Riv said, you giftees are in for a treat (and maybe a Pulitzer-prize winner or two)!

Pffft, heh. Heh heh..... SQUEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!! :D