The 2016-2017 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
GGGAAAAHHHH!!! Why isn't it Dec. 25th yet??? I WANT MY PROMPT NOW!

GIMMEGIMMEGIMMEGIMMEEEEEEE!!!!!!

<sigh> It's funny... last year I would look at each prompt and think "Oh gawd, not that one!". But this year I'm not filled with any sort of dread at all (not yet anyway).

Don't know if that speaks to higher confidence as a writer or deeper depths of delusion... whichever...

I admit, some of the prompts resonate more with me than others. Then I find myself perversely hoping I get assigned one I'd never choose for myself, just for the challenge. So I figure if I get one I want: great! And if I don't: even better!

EnzoC

Registered
Reaction score
Sign me up!

Give: I'm willing to try anything as long as it doesn't involve erotica or paranormal stuff. I tend to write science fiction stuff with a lot of comedy in it, but I'd love to branch out and get out of my comfort zone

Receive: I want to read a black comedy murder mystery taking place in a fantasy setting. One of the main characters must be a dog

Last edited:

Friendly Frog

Snarkenfaugister
Registered
Reaction score
:greenie Nothing like a tree frog flasher to get the dots connected. To whomever gets this type of prompt, there may be lots of snorting laughter and mad cackling involved on your end, depending on your muse's eccentricities...I had a blast, oh lovely frog prompter.
You certainly took it to places I never expected you to go! :D I'm not sure I can ever forget that frog... I too had a blast, oh imaginative squeaker writer.

I'm getting rather excited seeing all the new prompts this years. I hear the distance sound of sudden plot bunny genesis....

Last edited:

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
I fell in love with a particular prompt and begged CM to let me have it. We'll see if I end up getting it. But I guess there's nothing wrong with making notes about all the ideas bouncing around in my head (and interfering with the story I'm currently writing) for it. So many good prompts!

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
GGGAAAAHHHH!!! Why isn't it Dec. 25th yet??? I WANT MY PROMPT NOW!

<sigh> It's funny... last year I would look at each prompt and think "Oh gawd, not that one!". But this year I'm not filled with any sort of dread at all (not yet anyway).

Don't know if that speaks to higher confidence as a writer or deeper depths of delusion... whichever...

I have to admit, I'm itching to get my prompt too, though I'm not sure if it's more a nervous itch or excited. Maybe both? *grabs a backscratcher* I just keep alternating between, "Squeee! I can't believe I'm doing this! :D " and, "Dear sweet mother of mercy, I can't believe I'm doing this!:scared:" Thankfully, it's more the former than the latter at this point, but still...I WANT MY PROMPT!

In completely unrelated news, Paddi, I think I found the 2017 calendar you should get for yourself. For some odd reason, it came up when I was looking for a certain Tolkien art calendar, but I thought of you the second I saw it. :greenie

Last edited:

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
I have to admit, I'm itching to get my prompt too, though I'm not sure if it's more a nervous itch or excited. Maybe both? *grabs a backscratcher* I just keep alternating between, "Squeee! I can't believe I'm doing this! :D " and, "Dear sweet mother of mercy, I can't believe I'm doing this!:scared:" Thankfully, it's more the former than the latter at this point, but still...I WANT MY PROMPT!

In completely unrelated news, Paddi, I think I found the 2017 calendar you should get for yourself. For some odd reason, it came up when I was looking for a certain Tolkien art calendar, but I thought of you the second I saw it. :greenie

It's... it's magnificent... That angora on the cover... hubba hubba! Gotta make an addition to my letter to Krampus...

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if I'll meet any other AWers during this year's Sisyphus? :)

If all works out, I should get to meet Sian before the end of Sisyphus. You may all be supremely jealous now. Or get your butts over to Boston in Feb. :)

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Actually, it was kind of ironic earlier this year when I met eyeblink. Sian used to live one state over from me, yet eye has met both of us, but I've not met Sian yet. So yeah... Someone from the other side of the planet has met both of us, but apparently interstate was too far for us. :tongue

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
*takes deep breath* Here's hoping my troublesome relationship with deadlines doesn't bite me in the ass.

Give: No erotica, no horror genre. I'm good for both Sci Fi and Fantasy of most flavors. I'm not great at romance so maybe give a romance-specific prompt to someone else. I can do humor but it's likely to be encapsulated in a serious plot.

Receive: No erotica (but general smexytimes are not verboten as long as it serves the plot). Violence and scary stuff are ok but I'm not a fan of gorn.

Prompt: This song. (Lyrics)

Explanatory note: While the song has a connection to an existing story (the game Final Fantasy XIV) I discourage my gifter from trying to research it or making it about overt FF cameos/lyric references/fanfic. I fell in love with the song without knowing anything about that context because of the themes and emotions of it. Take any part or parts of the lyrics/feelings and run with where they take you.

Edit to add: I'm also willing to beta!

Last edited:

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
MY FAVORITE EVENT OF ALL TIME!! Been doing this for three years. Some stories have been kickass pieces that developed into novels, others have been total crap that went into the incinerator after this event was over. For those of you who are new, you'll love it!

Give: Fantasy, steampunk, western or mystery please (PERHAPS ALL FOUR TOGETHER?!) Very much in the mood to write dark, horror, paranormal, anti-heros or mysterious things. Could also get down with some sweet action, maybe write a character that must save the day (or the night?) Pretty open after those requirements.

Receive: First of all, no robots allowed in this story. That being said, I would like to read a story where a creature meets its maker, creator, god, (teehee, or author). I'd be thrilled if this could have a dark, action feel to it, but that's not required. Ultimately, you are the author so you can interject your own feel. But...if you can slant it towards that dark direction that would be cool. :D

Bonus points if you can include a musical instrument, a foreign language (real or fabricated), or the moon. I will actually make you my homemade chocolate truffles if you can manage all three.

Last edited:

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
Wow, I just realised it's been *nearly* a year since we met, Mr. Eye. I remember walking through the city while you told me that your giftee receives the opposite gender as a protagonist. (Don't worry, Cobra - neither of us cheated and let on who our giftees were. :))

Indeed it has been. This time last year, I was looking at the temperature data (when Adelaide was the hottest city in the world on at least one day) and wondering quite how hot it would be when I was there in February/March.

Actually, it was kind of ironic earlier this year when I met eyeblink. Sian used to live one state over from me, yet eye has met both of us, but I've not met Sian yet. So yeah... Someone from the other side of the planet has met both of us, but apparently interstate was too far for us. :tongue

Make that three. I am the one degree of separation between you and zanzjan, not just you and Sian. I met zanzjan (and amergina at the same time) at Loncon in 2014.

eyeblink

Barbara says hi
Registered
Reaction score
I didn't bring any Australian summer weather home with me, that's for sure!

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
I will actually make you my homemade chocolate truffles if you can manage all three.

I uh, ...really? We're allowed to bribe with food? You do know we'll all be knocking each other over for this prompt, right? ;)

*is suddenly hungry*

Alma Matters

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, I'm in to both give and receive (in the least selfish way possible)! This is my first time... GULPS.

GIVE: I usually tend to lean towards horror but I'm doing this to push myself so I want to explore genres new - Likelihood is it will probably still have a dark slant, but make me sweat a little.

I would probably struggle with comedy and erotica. Though my attempts at erotica could be comical? Seriously though - I'll avoid these if at all possible.

RECEIVE: Any genre is good, though as we're getting this in February I would maybe like my heart broken - though romance doesn't have to be the "Genre". Some buzz words; Haunting, sad, beautiful, poetic, supernatural, surreal, echo.

Feel free to use all or none of the above. I'm just happy to get something - though gratuitous or sexual violence isn't my thing.

Let's do this?

Last edited:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
I am the one degree of separation between you and zanzjan, not just you and Sian. I met zanzjan (and amergina at the same time) at Loncon in 2014.

Yes! And then I immediately went into social anxiety mode and didn't get to actually talk to you much. Bah, cursed brainweasels!

smokymountainlvr

onward and upward
Registered
Reaction score
*Takes deep breath* Okay, I’m down for a second year of this.

Receive: I’d like something with a happy ending, first and foremost. Obviously everything shouldn’t be peachy throughout, or it wouldn’t make for a very interesting story, but I want to finish the story feeling positive (re: 2016 dumpster fire). Please no horror, paranormal, steampunk, graphic violence, or sex (although romance is okay). It should take place on our planet, in our current universe, but maybe with a small twist. I don’t mean this rule to restrain your creativity—I hope it serves as a challenge to look at our world and think about how small actions can have big rippling impacts. I think it’s fun to read creative stuff that really feels like it could happen somewhere in our world ("if only"). I’d like your main character’s voice to shine, and to feel your character really want the thing that propels him or her through the story. Oh, and I’d prefer the story to be 8,000 words or less. Quality over quantity! The word count is meant to be a helpful restriction, so if you feel like you really need more than that, it’s totally fine. ETA: *also please no goats, etc.*

Give: I have most practice with fantasy of all varieties, contemporary, mystery, and some very light SF. I’m not really good at dark dark, because I’m too optimistic for that, but I also am not a writer of super silly things either, although I’ve been trying to include more humor. Also I can’t do erotic or paranormal or steampunk.

*willing to beta anything under 8000 words*

Last edited:

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Oooh, I missed the opening ceremonies! I adored my sekrit Sisyphus's brilliant story last year and had so much fun writing a story for my Sisyphusee, so I think I'll just sidle up to the bar and join this here partay. *sips G&T*

RECEIVE: So. Hrmmmmmm. *scans upthread* Wow, so many excellent prompts. Let's see . . . how about something with a dog. Or a cat. Or fish. I like fish. Bonus points if the fish is a three-spined stickleback. No fish in bowls or on platters, please, and no animals must be harmed yadayadayada. Also black holes are cool. But if you're not into space, it doesn't have to be a cosmic black hole. It can be, like, a hole in the ground. That's black. Or something. *scratches head* Oooh! And a lava lamp. Erm. And at some point, a llama should spit on somebody. That would do me nicely. Yessiree. :greenie

GIVE: I'm pretty much up for anything, except high fantasy and erotica. I like to write hard SF, but I don't mind being pushed kicking and screaming venturing out of my comfort zone.

Thanks, Cobra, for doing all the hard work so we can get all goofy and dance around with lampshades on our heads and stuff. :partyguy: Not that I have a lampshade on my head. *coughs*

ETA: Also willing to beta (anything under 8000 words--my time's a bit limited these days).

Last edited:

EnzoC

Registered
Reaction score
@Cobramisfit Did you get my email? I repped you like you asked and put my email there.

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Two weeks remaining before the sign-ups close. FYI in case you know anyone who might enjoy the Sisyphus.

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
I am coming back just for this event. Then I shall return to the nether regions. :)

Both Give and Receive

Receive: I enjoy more fantasy than science fiction but am honestly game for a good mashup of both. I've been looking for a good epic fantasy to read lately, always love good urban fantasy and PNR.

Give: I'm game to try about everything except emo vampires because I just can't.

Good luck all. May the odds be ever in your favor. *Evil Cackle*

ETA: If you want to give a sparkly emo vampire goat a cameo in my story, go ahead. I'm all for witty fun & games.

Last edited: