The 2016-2017 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Oh dear. I just Godwinned Trumped the thread. Sorry peeps. *self flagellates in shame*

Okay, back to Sisyphus stuff. I'm at 2.5K--mostly disjointed, wildly questionable concepts that I am attempting to wrestle into some semblance of a story.

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
I've reached that point where I realise I have no idea where I'm going and have to do something horrible to a character to get things moving again. Last year it involved a giant robot centipede. This year...?

Not going for the obvious. Emo vampire goats (sparkly or otherwise) would make things worse in the wrong way.

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
I've reached that point where I realise I have no idea where I'm going and have to do something horrible to a character to get things moving again. Last year it involved a giant robot centipede. This year...?

Not going for the obvious. Emo vampire goats (sparkly or otherwise) would make things worse in the wrong way.

Giant emo robot vampire centi-goat.

*runs*

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Fellow Sisyfants, I come to you bearing three A+mazing titles for my Sisyfus. However, I can only use one of them... :cry: Whut do!!!!!!!?????

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
There are a few things you could do:

1. Pick a title at random (throw a die, write them on slips of paper and pull one from a hat, etc.).
2. If your story has 3 sections, then you could use all 3 titles as section titles. Then come up with an overall title. Or, more sensibly, if your story has 2 parts, then 1 title is the overall title, and the other 2 can be section titles.
3. Use colons. ie. My story is called, "Revenge of the Antworms: The Bludgeoning of Insect Hope: An Ant in Time Saves Nine." So all 3 combine to form a single, longer, convoluted title.

Do any of those suggestions help?

- - - Updated - - -

Note: That is not my story's actual title.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. Even though that all came from random words for the first title, it's actually given me a vague plot bunny. Nothing that I'm ever likely to write, but it's something like a mix between An Ant's Life and a dystopian society, such as in 1984 or A Clockwork Orange, but not particularly like either of them.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Dang it, Cliff! And here I was hoping you were going to write a reprisal of the classic movie THEM! *sigh*

So, when describing my story plot and a particular moment to a friend tonight, I made her laugh out loud, cry and go "that's disgusting" all at the same time. *preens*

Though I'm still waiting on the darn middle bits leading up to the messy bit I noted earlier. And yes, that character I mentioned did eat the messy stuff. Oh! And actually that wasn't the disgusting part per above. :greenie

Shutting up now.

griffins

Registered
Reaction score
So, when describing my story plot and a particular moment to a friend tonight, I made her laugh out loud, cry and go "that's disgusting" all at the same time. *preens*

Though I'm still waiting on the darn middle bits leading up to the messy bit I noted earlier. And yes, that character I mentioned did eat the messy stuff. Oh! And actually that wasn't the disgusting part per above. :greenie

Shutting up now.

*Makes vague therapist sounds while penciling in clues in a leather-bound notebook entitled, "How I'm Totally Going to Guess Tiddlywink's Story This Year." Quietly doffs a Sherlock Holmes tweed cap and exits stage-left, pleased with progress.*

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Titles... I have a title that is good enough if I can't think of anything else. Not the most creative one in the world, but it does the job.

I'm also already debating which part of my story I'll choose as the excerpt for the guessing thread. If I include a certain part that reveals certain things, it'll probably be too obvious, so I think I'll be sneaksy and use a less obvious section.

Wait a minute... the title I've got might make it too obvious too. Darn it. Now I'm gonna need a new title.

Rose_C

Banned
Reaction score
This sounds absolutely awesome and I'm really sorry I joined the forum too late to participate in this. :(

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Welcome to AW, Rose!:welcome:

I'm sorry you missed out this time, but the Secret Solstice Swap is an annual event, so there will be more chances for participating in the future. It is indeed awesome and fun and generally just ALL THE THINGS! :D

Jade Rothwell

rolling dice
Registered
Reaction score
I REALLY want to start editing my Sisyphus. But I have to beta a project for someone unrelated to this site first. But I want to work on my Sisyphus :cry:

3. Use colons. ie. My story is called, "Revenge of the Antworms: The Bludgeoning of Insect Hope: An Ant in Time Saves Nine." So all 3 combine to form a single, longer, convoluted title.

As someone terrified by bugs, I'm disgusted. As someone who likes punny titles, I'm overjoyed

That's the best feedback you could ever get

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
There are a few things you could do:

1. Pick a title at random (throw a die, write them on slips of paper and pull one from a hat, etc.).
2. If your story has 3 sections, then you could use all 3 titles as section titles. Then come up with an overall title. Or, more sensibly, if your story has 2 parts, then 1 title is the overall title, and the other 2 can be section titles.

Do any of those suggestions help?

- - - Updated - - -

Note: That is not my story's actual title.

Well maybe it should be your title! Hmmmm!??? :p Thanks for the suggestions Cliffy! The problem with my potential titles is that they all [redacted] and it would look silly if I [redacted] them [redacted]. I may just have to write sequels for this awesomesauce world I have invented (if I do say so myself) for the specific purpose of using the other titles. I can do that, right? :eek:

Dang it, Cliff! And here I was hoping you were going to write a reprisal of the classic movie THEM! *sigh*

Shutting up now.

Tiddles, you may never truly know the joy your words bring to my cold, dark, bunny-soul. I'm just gonna say it now: When you are invariably guessed early on, please send me a copy of your Sisyfus to read and love and be disgusted and overjoyed by? :D

*Makes vague therapist sounds while penciling in clues in a leather-bound notebook entitled, "How I'm Totally Going to Guess Tiddlywink's Story This Year." Quietly doffs a Sherlock Holmes tweed cap and exits stage-left, pleased with progress.*

Paws off griffins! D: tiddlywinks is mine to *guess!!! :evil

*Again

This sounds absolutely awesome and I'm really sorry I joined the forum too late to participate in this. :(

Also, in the guessing thread over in SFF's password-protected* 'Share Your Work' section, once a story/author and giftee has been correctly paired, if you like the sound of the story, you are more than welcome to request a copy for your own enjoyment via PMing of the author in question. Last year I tried to read all the stories, but the awesomeness of everyone burnt my eyes out of my skull in sheer overwhelmedness. :eek: I highly recommend joining in as much as you are able, there's nothing more rewarding and pleasant than AW peoples as friends <3

*You should have no trouble finding the password to the SYW. However, if you do, just ask a moderator and they'll help.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Heh. It seems as if my random titles are a hit. If I didn't already have eleven bajillion WIP ideas to work on, I'd probably flesh that plot bunny out a bit. But no - that particular plot bunny is saying it's novel-length, and I already have so many novel-length ideas (many of which are in various stages of drafting, thus giving them precedence) that I really can't fit another one in.

Plus, I don't particularly want to write about bugs. Yerch.

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
Titles... I have a title that is good enough if I can't think of anything else. Not the most creative one in the world, but it does the job.

I'm also already debating which part of my story I'll choose as the excerpt for the guessing thread. If I include a certain part that reveals certain things, it'll probably be too obvious, so I think I'll be sneaksy and use a less obvious section.

Wait a minute... the title I've got might make it too obvious too. Darn it. Now I'm gonna need a new title.

Wait... we have to reveal our title too? *ponders whether awesome title will give too much away*

E.F.B.

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Wait... we have to reveal our title too? *ponders whether awesome title will give too much away*
I looked at last year's guessing thread and the titles are included on the posts with the excerpts, but despite my lurking, I admit I don't remember if they were there before they got guessed or got added after. Unless someone says otherwise, I think they were there before, so it's something to keep in mind.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I looked at last year's guessing thread and the titles are included on the posts with the excerpts, but despite my lurking, I admit I don't remember if they were there before they got guessed or got added after. Unless someone says otherwise, I think they were there before, so it's something to keep in mind.
I'm pretty sure they were there before, but may be completely wrong. :greenie

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score

Thanks, Effby. I'll have to ask my beta if the title gives too much away. It's such a good title... but it really wouldn't help anyone guess that I wrote the story, so maybe... *wanders away pondering*

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Woe is me, and I am woe, oh woe unto me! For this bunny doeth vow not to tweeteth wonderful exceptseth and suchliketh during the Sisyfuth due to guessing paranoia!! :cry:If only I had a place where I could [CENSORED] my quotes to an understanding and -NOT- participating-in-the-guessing-thread audience... :Shrug:

The titular titles entitled in a tidal-lock to tempting trowels t'were there th'fore the th'guessing th'began... I tried, okay!!!:rant:Also, my title will probably get me guessed immediately because it's just so AWESOME. It's a [CENSORED]-[CENSORED] on the words: "[CENSORED]" and [redacted]*

*I am having too much fun censoring and redacting my[CENSORED]... :D

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com

You know, a smart* Tiddlywinks would change up her style...because she does have different styles, you know. (Tiana can back me up on this, I swear.)

*I neither confirm nor deny that I iz smrt.

Tiddles, you may never truly know the joy your words bring to my cold, dark, bunny-soul. I'm just gonna say it now: When you are invariably guessed early on...

HEY! I resent* that!

*Two pence says Paddi gets outed before me.

Paws off griffins! D: tiddlywinks is mine to *guess!!! :evil

*Again

mwahaha_zpspi9vhewj.gif

paddismac

Parasite free since '09
Registered
Reaction score
You know, a smart* Tiddlywinks would change up her style...because she does have different styles, you know. (Tiana can back me up on this, I swear.)

*I neither confirm nor deny that I iz smrt.

HEY! I resent* that!

*Two pence says Paddi gets outed before me.

mwahaha_zpspi9vhewj.gif

Hey!! Cheese Louise, am I that transparent?? I think not!

Phhh... not this year!!