The 2016-2017 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

Blinkk

Searching for dragons
Registered
Reaction score
Hey guys, I've been out of the loop for a couple days! Just saw that the guessing thread is over. Good and bad, because now I get to request all the stories, but bad because...well...it's over. :(

Anyways, great job this year. :D Best turnout we've ever had. I love this event, it's my absolute fav thing on these forums.

Thanks Cobra for all your hard work. Thanks story elves for all that you do. Couldn't have done it without ya!

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
That's an awesome idea, Cliff! It's definitely possible to do a short story a day. Along with the Sisyphus prompts, you could also scour zanz's Flash Fiction Challenge archives for prompts.

I've been thinking about this idea, and I checked out some of the Sisyphus prompts and some of the flash prompts, too. I think I've come to a decision. Basically, I don't want to write just SF/F/H shorts. Also, the Sisyphus prompts require a certain amount of planning, whereas I want to try my hand at pantsing - just find a prompt that resonates straight away, and start writing, like that. The flash ones also seemed a bit... Well, I didn't really get any concrete ideas from any of the ones I checked out.

So I think I'll be looking for other prompt sources. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about this idea, and I checked out some of the Sisyphus prompts and some of the flash prompts, too. I think I've come to a decision. Basically, I don't want to write just SF/F/H shorts. Also, the Sisyphus prompts require a certain amount of planning, whereas I want to try my hand at pantsing - just find a prompt that resonates straight away, and start writing, like that. The flash ones also seemed a bit... Well, I didn't really get any concrete ideas from any of the ones I checked out.

So I think I'll be looking for other prompt sources. Thanks for the suggestion, though!

Cliff, Try out a group called Show Me Your Lits.
They used to have a weekly prompt that you had 90 minutes to write on but also had a variety of prompts on the forum. They've updated their format so all of my log in stuff was reset, but I've signed back up.
It was great fun. It had a lot of literary prompts but even those often led me to a speculative fiction story.

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
Moar reviews!

The Last Dance Before Midnight by Siana Blackwood: Whoa. This story is dark as hell, beautiful, bloody, and intense. Love the idea of what the main characters are. I won't give away spoilers, but the whole thing reads at the speed of nightmare. Once you start, you'll get sucked in, and even if you don't know exactly what's going on (in a good way!), you can't stop until the end. Do yourself a favor, and read this story!

Jimmy and the Damned by EnzoC: Yay! Loved the nonsensical fun. Ahhh, this takes me back to the stuff I used to come up with way back when. *Nostalgia* I certainly chose an appropriate time for this story: good read for a Sunday night when you're procrastinating on going to sleep so Monday won't come as fast! XD

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
Knocked a couple hundred words off Kill Curse. New count is 4660. If you've requested it and haven't had the chance to read it yet, let me know and I can send the latest revision.

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
An open-letter to: Everyone who has not read Tiddlywinks's story

So, y'all'll never guess what I did the other day. What I actually, physically, with my eyeballs, accomplished. I READ "Miss Fairest in the Land" by our very own tiddlywinks. AND NOW I HAVE FEELINGS!! :cry:

Okay, so, from the top. SPOILERS AHEAD: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Miss Fairest in the Land is a tale of two (well, I guess: three, depending on how you count) demon hunters, hunting a demon at a beauty pageant for witches. It involves a hedgehog dueling with hairpins, a house-elf like being performing cannibalistic acts, some side-demons, a dodo, and at least one demon KING-(kinda)-guy... what'd I miss here??? Oh YEAH! There's also a hip-hopping rap song by a toad/frog/prince and some sparkly unicorn goats, and even MOAR rainbow barf than my own story for the Sisyfus contained!? :eek: Like, how? :Shrug: I tried.

Anyway, that's basically the gist of the story without mentioning any of the plot points or giving what I might consider too much away. Now, my feelz:

At first it was kinda like "Huh? Hmmm! oooooooooOOOOoooOOOO! Dat A-Z!! :eek:" but that quickly became a sense of "Heh heh," and then "*Googles archaic items of clothing*" with a spot of "*Googles weird, funny phrases that Americans apparently use???*" (But for real, who says "Fussbudget"??? Like, actually!? I LOVE IT!!!! :D). Soon after the googling-kerfuffle there was some serious reinforcement of gender-stereotypes in my head. I mean, I had no idea people (presumably predominantly women, but not necessarily) anywhere paid so much attention to clothes!!! :O AND SHOES!! Who actually has the wherewithal to recognise the brand of shoe another person is wearing??? Am I just, like, inattentive or something? :S

They sounded like nice shoes, tho, so there's that, I guess....

Now, moving forward, we enter the SQUEEEEEEEEE-Territory of SQUEEEEEing :'D in which, you won't believe this, I SQUEEEEEEEEEEEd. :flag: This entire section of story also included, but was not limited to: "D'aaaaawwwww :'D" as well as "*wolf-whistles*" and "SPARKLES!!!! :eek:" It was, as you might expect, pretty dern great! There were more unicorns that my story featured, as well :cry: but never fear past-Dammy, after the oodles of unicorns there was an oodle of HAWTniss... in the form of fire. And magic. And some more fire. Fortunately the magic didn't solve all the problems, and I like to think the spectators were fine after a little bit of counseling. :)

That's about all the beans I am willing to spill over tiddlywinks's "Miss Fairest in the Land". Go read it, IF YOU DARE! *dun dun DUN!*

-----

I can't promise I'll be able to do something like this for each story I read from the Sisyfus, but if I don't do yours (dear Reader), but I actually manage to read it, I will try to provide feedback of some sort. I'm not gonna pretend I can read all teh Sisyphuses this year, though. :flag::cry:

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
Dawwwwwwwww...wherein Dammy just made Winks blush a lot. And snort her potato soup down the wrong way in laughter. I'm going to pretend this is SYW and give my reactions in line. Because I'm dying here people.

So, y'all'll never guess what I did the other day. What I actually, physically, with my eyeballs, accomplished. I READ "Miss Fairest in the Land" by our very own tiddlywinks. AND NOW I HAVE FEELINGS!! :cry:*pats Dammy on the head*

Okay, so, from the top. SPOILERS AHEAD: YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!

Miss Fairest in the Land is a tale of two (well, I guess: three, depending on how you count ...:roll:...) demon hunters, hunting a demon at a beauty pageant for witches. It involves a hedgehog dueling with hairpins...:evil... One of my favorite bits, a house-elf like being performing cannibalistic acts Frank is glaring at you for the Dobey comparison as he's much dirtier and he's furry and he doesn't consider himself cute, some side-demons, a dodo, and at least one demon KING-(kinda)-guy... what'd I miss here??? "Hey, baby, what about me being all cool-like?" A certain character just said in my head...Oh YEAH! There's also a hip-hopping rap song by a toad/frog/prince that...just kinda happened and some sparkly unicorn goats Blame Paddi! I was looking for the bonus points for sparkly unicorns--it naturally dovetailed with the universal goat prompt. And you know how trolls like goats, and even MOAR rainbow barf ...:ROFL:... than my own story for the Sisyfus contained!? :eek: Like, how? :Shrug: I tried. It's a talent you really shouldn't strive for. Honest. I mean, even I was surprised at how many sparklies and strange things I crammed in there this time...methinks Friendly Frog was a bad influence on me last year and it's stuck. ;) (Love you, FF)

Anyway, that's basically the gist of the story without mentioning any of the plot points or giving what I might consider too much away. Now, my feelz: ...:roll:...

At first it was kinda like "Huh? Hmmm! oooooooooOOOOoooOOOO! Dat A-Z!! :eek:" The name is so appropriate :greenie but that quickly became a sense of "Heh heh," and then "*Googles archaic items of clothing*" Bwaahahahaahahah with a spot of "*Googles weird, funny phrases that Americans apparently use???*" No, no, that would just be Winks who is weird and uses some weird phrases, therefore her characters must also use said weird phrases...not that I go around in real life swearing "slug guts!"...well, erm. Not all the time. (But for real, who says "Fussbudget"??? Like, actually!? I LOVE IT!!!! :D Um...er...no one REALLY says that *smiles nervously, pretends she didn't just call someone that under her breath recently*). Soon after the googling-kerfuffle there was some serious reinforcement of gender-stereotypes in my head. I mean, I had no idea people (presumably predominantly women, but not necessarily) anywhere paid so much attention to clothes!!! :O AND SHOES!! Right! Yes! All women do this! Yes! This is totally not a Winks thing whatsoever because she TOTALLY didn't recognize the leprechaun in JJ's story last year was wearing Louboutins just because of the red bottoms on the shoes...*cough* Nor does Winks have a habit of referencing shoes everywhere that a certain gin-swilling alien will just shut up about right now before Winks sparkle bombs her visitor board for claiming Winks is lying...yes yes Who actually has the wherewithal to recognise the brand of shoe another person is wearing??? Right! Because that would mean that person clearly has a shoe problem and desperately needs to seek help or stop buying more shoes that won't all fit in her closet. Right! *nods* *kicks closet door closed* Am I just, like, inattentive or something? :S

They sounded like nice shoes, tho, so there's that, I guess....

Now, moving forward, we enter the SQUEEEEEEEEE-Territory of SQUEEEEEing :'D in which, you won't believe this, I SQUEEEEEEEEEEEd. :flag: ...yay! I made you squee!!! This entire section of story also included, but was not limited to: "D'aaaaawwwww :'D" as well as "*wolf-whistles*" and "SPARKLES!!!! :eek:" As if there were ever a doubt! It was, as you might expect, pretty dern great! There were more unicorns that my story featured, as well :cry: Great minds think alike, Dammy, when it comes to unicorns! but never fear past-Dammy, after the oodles of unicorns there was an oodle of HAWTniss... in the form of fire. And magic. And some more fire. Fortunately the magic didn't solve all the problems, and I like to think the spectators were fine after a little bit of counseling. :) ...more than a little perhaps...

That's about all the beans I am willing to spill over tiddlywinks's "Miss Fairest in the Land". Go read it, IF YOU DARE! *dun dun DUN!*

-----

I can't promise I'll be able to do something like this for each story I read from the Sisyfus, but if I don't do yours (dear Reader), but I actually manage to read it, I will try to provide feedback of some sort. I'm not gonna pretend I can read all teh Sisyphuses this year, though. :flag::cry:

:hooray::snoopy::roll::ROFL::Hug2::D:thankyou::heart::Hail::PartySmil:TheWave::e2woo::e2bear::e2cry::e2dance:

My reaction to your fantabulous review, Dammy. THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!!!

:e2flowers

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
I am working my way through the Sisyphus stories I've received so far. (If I haven't requested yours, I'll try to get ahold of you soon.)

However ...

All I can say is reading Waverly Wong and then immediately moving to Miss Fairest in the Land was not good for my synaptic cortex.

Aka: I think my brain melted.

EnzoC

Registered
Reaction score
Moar reviews!

The Last Dance Before Midnight by Siana Blackwood: Whoa. This story is dark as hell, beautiful, bloody, and intense. Love the idea of what the main characters are. I won't give away spoilers, but the whole thing reads at the speed of nightmare. Once you start, you'll get sucked in, and even if you don't know exactly what's going on (in a good way!), you can't stop until the end. Do yourself a favor, and read this story!

Jimmy and the Damned by EnzoC: Yay! Loved the nonsensical fun. Ahhh, this takes me back to the stuff I used to come up with way back when. *Nostalgia* I certainly chose an appropriate time for this story: good read for a Sunday night when you're procrastinating on going to sleep so Monday won't come as fast! XD

Thanks for the review :)

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
Waverly Wong by griffins

My good sir, griff ol' buddy, ol' pal: I aspire to half the castoff talent your presence alone rubs onto wayward interns blessed enough to bring you coffee in the morning. :cry::hooray::Hug2::snoopy:

SianaBlackwood

Registered
Reaction score
Website
sb.siasan.com
I think I've finally caught up with everyone who requested my story. Still not finished making requests of my own, though, so if I haven't repped you yet I probably will soon.

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Woot!

So I just signed a contract on my Syssiphus story from last year. "Myathan Rainbows" just found a home at Neo-opsis.

Yes, folks it may take a while but your story can find a home.

Maggie Maxwell

Making Einstein cry since 1994
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thewanderingquille.blogspot.com
Y'all! Y'all!

Like I Need A Hole in the Head has been SOLD!! To the Women Up To No Good: Broad Knowledge anthology for early 2019!

*Tacklehugs Pasty for her wonderful amazing prompt*

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Y'all! Y'all!

Like I Need A Hole in the Head has been SOLD!! To the Women Up To No Good: Broad Knowledge anthology for early 2019!

*Tacklehugs Pasty for her wonderful amazing prompt*
OMG! OMG! OMG! That is AWESOME! I LOVE that story so hard. And I love the whole concept behind that anthology (in fact I started writing a short for it myself, because, yanno, women up to no good, but it kinda turned into a novel). I can't wait till the antho comes out so I can buy it. Woohoo! So many congrats! :hooray:

zanzjan

killin' all teh werds
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
VPX
VPXI
Registered
Reaction score
WTG Maggie!

banana-giant-colorchange.gif

PastyAlien

Space butthole
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
helfrich.ca
Woot!

So I just signed a contract on my Syssiphus story from last year. "Myathan Rainbows" just found a home at Neo-opsis.

Yes, folks it may take a while but your story can find a home.
*reads upthread* Also, Woot, Shadowflame! And congrats to everyone who sold their SSSFFSS babies. :partyguy: Keep subbing, Sisyphusers!