Buy books by AWers

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 100 of 104 FirstFirst ... 25507590949596979899100101102103104 LastLast
Results 2,476 to 2,500 of 2577

Thread: The 2016-2017 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

practical experience, FTW themindstream's Avatar
    Finally been hit by kitkat! Hit me up for copies if you want it.

I realized only after I had sent my excerpt to Cobra that I mentioned portals in the excerpt, had portals mentioned in my sig for my WIP novel and had mentioned in this thread that I was considering writing in my novel's universe. No one else apparently picked up on this. >.>
    "Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic" -- Arthur C. Clarke
    "Any sufficiently analyzed magic is indistinguishable from SCIENCE!" -- Agatha Heterodyne

WIP: A Tale of Two Portals - first draft - 60k+ and counting.

I want to be Comic Sans. CobraMisfit's Avatar
    Hey gang,

I posted in the Guessing Thread (and won't repeat those items), but this is where the Sisyphus lives and breathes, so wanted to take a moment to thank each and every one of you for participating. The Sisyphus started as a Secret Santa many years ago, but it's morphed into a wonderful event for building bonds and expanding fellowship with other authors. There's something truly magical about getting a story that's written especially for you and doing so with no "payout" is especially wonderful. We all lead busy lives, so your willingness to add this event to your plates is greatly appreciated.

Writing is, at its core, a very lonely hobby/profession. At the end of the day, to truly put pen to paper requires us to have some alone time with our thoughts. But events like the Sisyphus allow us to come together and share in the mutual struggles and triumphs that are unique to this art form. With any luck, folks here were not only able to knock the rust off their writing skills, like I was, but also get to know some new people.

But most important, I truly hope that everyone enjoyed the journey.

Thanks again and, with any luck, we'll see you again this December for the 2018 Sisyphus.

-CM
    Quote Originally Posted by 10trackers View Post
    I adore how our Cobra unapologetically loves odd stuff

"On a scale of one to pyramid, it's definitely pyramid." - TotalBiscuit

Books | Website | Chirps | Goodreads

CM's Motivational Alert Code Color Chart

Write. Write. Writey Write Write. mrsmig's Avatar
    Once again, as in years past, thank you for all you do to make this event one of the highlights of the AW year.

KINGLET: Now available from Fiery Seas Publishing: Amazon Barnes & Noble iBooks Kobo
    FISKUR: Releasing November 2017 from Fiery Seas

My Website:
    www.donnamigliaccio.com

And the occasional Tweet.

People are not wearing enough hats JJ Litke's Avatar
    Thanks, Cobra!

I've totally lost track of stories I still need to request and what I got but still need to read. I'll have to do some organizing tonight and try to straighten that all back out again.
    The Invisible Box, Apex Magazine issue #92
    When the Planets Left
    , Cast of Wonders episode 210
    Harbinie of Death
    , Farstrider Magazine issue #2
    jjlitke.com

Nevertheless, she persisted. -Riv-'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JJ Litke View Post
    Thanks, Cobra!

I've totally lost track of stories I still need to request and what I got but still need to read. I'll have to do some organizing tonight and try to straighten that all back out again.
    Same for me. Reorganization is on the horizon.

Thank you Cobra for the time, dedication, and pure fun of this year's event (again!), start to finish. Plus, your ding/nope! commentary is priceless.

Woot! Is it December yet!?

Writer Beware's Faithful Igor Richard White's Avatar
    Hopefully not, Riv. That's when my thesis is due. I'm trying to slow down time between now and then.

Quote Originally Posted by -Riv- View Post
    Same for me. Reorganization is on the horizon.

Thank you Cobra for the time, dedication, and pure fun of this year's event (again!), start to finish. Plus, your ding/nope! commentary is priceless.

Woot! Is it December yet!?

Quote Originally Posted by CobraMisfit View Post
    Hey gang,

I posted in the Guessing Thread (and won't repeat those items), but this is where the Sisyphus lives and breathes, so wanted to take a moment to thank each and every one of you for participating. The Sisyphus started as a Secret Santa many years ago, but it's morphed into a wonderful event for building bonds and expanding fellowship with other authors. There's something truly magical about getting a story that's written especially for you and doing so with no "payout" is especially wonderful. We all lead busy lives, so your willingness to add this event to your plates is greatly appreciated.

Writing is, at its core, a very lonely hobby/profession. At the end of the day, to truly put pen to paper requires us to have some alone time with our thoughts. But events like the Sisyphus allow us to come together and share in the mutual struggles and triumphs that are unique to this art form. With any luck, folks here were not only able to knock the rust off their writing skills, like I was, but also get to know some new people.

But most important, I truly hope that everyone enjoyed the journey.

Thanks again and, with any luck, we'll see you again this December for the 2018 Sisyphus.

-CM
    Quote Originally Posted by mrsmig View Post

(Huh, I thought that gif was bigger. Oh well.) The sentiment behind it is still the same. and for Cobra for putting this wonder-filled event together every year! I'm SUPER happy I got up the guts to participate for the first time. Sisyphus stretched and challenged me in all the best ways and I feel like a better, more confident writer for it. Assuming no unforeseen circumstances arise, I'm looking forward to participating again when the next one rolls around.

I send hugs to all the rest of you too for contributing to the awesomesauce-ness of Sisyphus!

“Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -G.K. Chesterton

WIPs:
    Fantasy - Working title: "In Dreams They Came" -- 75,753 words & counting!
    Sleeping Beauty Retelling -- In stasis, much like SB herself... (I swear I'll get back to it someday.)
    Snow White Retelling -- 23,780 words & counting

Twitter of sparkles | Etsy | Goodreads | Pinterest | Instagram of sparkles

"No, my God's not done making me a masterpiece/ He's still working on me/ He started something good and I'm gonna believe it/ He started something good and He's gonna complete it/ So I'll celebrate the truth/ His work in me ain't through/ I'm just unfinished." ~"Unfinished" by Mandisa

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror Bobo The Bard's Avatar
    Yes! Same! This has been my 4th year participating, and despite the massive amounts of extra stress this year, it was awesome! I lave the insanity, and the shared excitement of this event even more than I do NaNo. Every year I've taken part, I've learned something about myself and my writing, and I've grown as a writer.

Sometimes I wish there were two Sisyphuses in the year, just to spread the awesome.

Massive thanks to Cobra for runinng it again this year! (And for giving me the perfect prompt and perfect gifter! XD)

To whoever posted before regarding prompts, no, you're not inordinately curious. I would love to know which prompts spawned which stories!

Hope y'all keep checking back on this thread, as I'm going to continue with my review series here.
    Last edited by Bobo The Bard; 03-20-2017 at 08:36 PM.
    "Be excellent to each other...and party on, dudes!" - Bill and Ted's Excellent Adventure

Currently seeking critique on Memento Mori (209 Words)

Steve The WriMo Forum - Writers' support group. Goats. Rainbow cakes. Metal. Unicorns. Necromancy. Time travel.
    Blog - Phractal Reality | Twitter | Tumblr | NaNoWriMo | Pinterest

Quote Originally Posted by Bobo The Bard View Post
    Hope y'all keep checking back on this thread, as I'm going to continue with my review series here.
    *waits patiently*
    “Fairy tales are more than true: not because they tell us that dragons exist, but because they tell us that dragons can be beaten.” -G.K. Chesterton

WIPs:
    Fantasy - Working title: "In Dreams They Came" -- 75,753 words & counting!
    Sleeping Beauty Retelling -- In stasis, much like SB herself... (I swear I'll get back to it someday.)
    Snow White Retelling -- 23,780 words & counting

Twitter of sparkles | Etsy | Goodreads | Pinterest | Instagram of sparkles

"No, my God's not done making me a masterpiece/ He's still working on me/ He started something good and I'm gonna believe it/ He started something good and He's gonna complete it/ So I'll celebrate the truth/ His work in me ain't through/ I'm just unfinished." ~"Unfinished" by Mandisa

ETA: Also, my mapping/cartographic excellence skillz are hereby extended to all my friends here (each of you, and then some!!!) so if you want help that is human and not just an awesomesauce book of useful tidbits, prompts, and convenient examples like Richard's, I be 'ere fo' U. Richard's book is HERE, tho, just fyi.

The Sleeping Beauty by tianaluthien:

Broken Upon Sisyphus Rock by Ari Meermans:

R.U.R.-8 by zanzjan:
    DAMNIT Bobo!!! You're overwhelming me with all these reviews!! Please continue.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard White View Post
    And if you ever need any assistance on world building, (Unlikely after reading your story last night, but you never know), I know a guy who wrote a book on world building that Dammy reviewed who might be available for assistance. *grin*
    QFT QFT QFT QFT!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard White View Post
    Dammy,

Seeing how confession is good for the soul - you noted in your critique that I hadn't put a map in For A Few Gold Pieces More. The truth is, I have no map for the Empire. Since those were stand alone short stories when they were first written, I hadn't really considered how each story related to the other.

Not to worry though. Now that I'm developing a full novel around my rogue, there will be a map (whether the publisher wants to include it is anyone's guess).
    Quite frankly Richard, I'm BUBBLING with excitement! (and not just for the map :P)

Quote Originally Posted by E.F.B. View Post
    *waits patiently*
    *waits IMpatiently*
    Last edited by Damoclian; 03-20-2017 at 08:55 PM. Reason: forgetful bunny :p
    -Twitter of fear and loathing and incredible shyness!
    -Blog of books and reviews and unspeakable cowardice! (updated 17.07.19) A less than stellar review for a pretty great book.

Cobra,
    Thank you so very very much for setting this up. Your hard work is greatly appreciated.

I loved the format this year. It allowed more time for everyone to guess and I think fun was had by all. I do not think any changes are necessary for next year.
    Professional Publication Minion for hire (email me)

FB and ETSY for Shadowflame Designs Beadwork

BLOG

Confessions of a Publishing Minion with beta readers - still needs at least another 15K words

Dragon Masque 44,000/70,000

All hail Cobra Misfit for his mad organizational skillz.

As always, a pleasure.

Quote Originally Posted by Debio View Post
    Isn't mayhem our job?
    In Secret Kept (fantasy): 67k -- resting between edits
    Midnight Hour (sci-fi/Victoriana horror with steampunk elements): drafting 50k/?
    Rheda (fantasy, 18k) : subbing
    A Once & Future Knight: expanding

Blog:
    The Muse's Lair

I Tweet!

As a newcomer to Absolute Write, it has been an honour and a delight to participate in this years Sisyphus and the Guessing Thread.

I'm giving a big to both Cobra and all of you here for making my first time such fun.

I'd also like to thank Mary Love as she worked wonders with my 'not-really-a-prompt' prompt and highly recommend her story to the rest of you. As I like horror, Mary decided to try her hand at giving me something darkly horrible and she did a tremendous job.

Now I need to decide what other stories I want to read.........

practical experience, FTW Mary Love's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sue77 View Post
    I'd also like to thank Mary Love as she worked wonders with my 'not-really-a-prompt' prompt and highly recommend her story to the rest of you. As I like horror, Mary decided to try her hand at giving me something darkly horrible and she did a tremendous job.
    Shucks, thanks Sue! Hope to see you around AW a lot, as we all impatiently wait for next year's!

Continuing my review series...

The Key by TJWriter - A nice, refreshing fantasy. I'm glad to see a protagonist who isn't a hotshot lovestruck young hero. This looks like an intriguing world that I'd like to know more about, especially regarding the machinations of the mafia and the society. Very nice!
    D'awww, thanks Bobo!

Also, there are couple of people that I still need to respond to on requests for stories. The weekend was busy, so tonight or tomorrow.

And as always, many thanks to Cobra for keeping us all in line!! You manage to do a stellar job year after year.

Resist. Love. Go outside. Marlys's Avatar
    Adding my thanks to Cobra. This was a blast!
    I'm a twit, too: @PearsonMarlys

Yeah, it was a lot of fun

Has One Badass Arm ManWithTheMetalArm's Avatar
    As one of the many "new people", thank you Cobra! This was awesome and I can't wait for next year!
    I am an adurlt. A grown-up, manly-man adurlt. Who says mean, naughty words. GRUNDLES!

I tend to be a bit of a lurky-loo.

ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS ORKS!

not lurking so much anymore Jaymz Connelly's Avatar
    My first year participating and I had an absolute BLAST! I want to thank all of you for the camaraderie as we wrote, waited, guessed, waited... AND most of all, I would like to thank Cobra for being totally awesome and covered in awesomesauce! The sheer magnitude of his organizational skills has me all aflutter! (I am an organizing nerd)

Now I need to go and beg for more stories!

But I have to say... Without Words by Lillian Blaire, The Kill Curse by Mary Love, Miss Fairest in the Land by Tiddly, and Like I Need a Hole in the Head by Maggie are ALLLLLLLL totally awesome reads! I had the absolute pleasure of doing beta for Lil and Mary and I know they both worked very hard to give their giftee a great story - as we all did, and that effort shows! Every story I've read so far has been fantastic!

I have one scene left on my current story and then I am going to gorge myself on stories!

So looking forward to December when we get to do it all over again!

Fuelled by tea and crumpets. Anna_Hedley's Avatar
    Oh, looks like I was the last one to be guessed If anyone would like to read Master Forsythe's Legacy please rep or pm me your email address. But be warned it's 15k, which is I think is one of the longest.

I also highly recommend my gift this year which was The Last Dance Before Midnight written by Siana Blackwood. It's sad and haunting but in a beautiful way and I thoroughly enjoyed it.
    Last edited by Anna_Hedley; 03-21-2017 at 03:13 AM.
    Boundaries - Kinky M/M/M erotic romance (available from Dreamspinner Press)
    Barren
    - M/M fantasy (Less Than Three Press)
    My Twitter.

Procrastinator Extraordinaire Lillian_Blaire's Avatar
    Thanks, Jay!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaymz Connelly View Post
    I don't know that anyone could fill Lil's stilettos in her absence. She's very special and unique.
    Lil is just full of of sweetness and love, with a side of raunchy innuendo. That never hurt anyone! - Jaymz
    Tell that to the guy(s) manacled in her basement... - be frank

The Land of Smoke and Ash (AKA, Yosemite)
    If anyone wants to read Spirit of the Dead River rep me with your email and I'll send it over. It's a bit over 7200 words. If you want a little mood music for it, it was also inspired by Priscilla Hernandez's song The Realms of Twilight. Linky here.
    Fueled by the coffee Tiddlywinks says she gave up...(though she's totally lying)

Thank you, Cobra, for awesome organisation!

I'm already looking forward to next time.
    Half Price Souls, recompose Issue 3 (February 2017)

www.tamlyndreaver.com

But...but I don't WANT Sisyphus to be over!!

Cobra is awesome. And he's lucky I can't hug and squeeze him for giving me such awesome prompts every year.

Sigh.

I shall have to console myself with story requests. I'm making them slowly over the next week or so and hoarding the precioussssssss for reading soon.
    Last edited by tiddlywinks; 03-22-2017 at 04:22 AM.
    Loves to tell stories. Finds editing a necessary evil. No longer fueled by coffee (again).
    ------------

*FRESH MEAT* Red Riding Hood retelling - Chapter One now available for squirrels in SYW!
    Pirate fantasy, Book 1 - Updated Chapter 1 (drafting)
    Russian ballerina vampire romance - Chapter 1 (polishing)
    UF romance with zombies, dwarves 'n biker chicks - Chapter 1 (querying)

Bloggity blog |
    #Tweety tweets | Pinterest plot bunnies

Not as sweet as you think Aggy B.'s Avatar
    The SSSFFFSS is quite fun. One of these years I might succeed in not writing something novella length. (Well, this year it was 17k, which is technically still a novelette.) I do intend to revisit it and turn it into something a little more marketable at some point. Because it's a charming little Regency fantasy right now, but could use a little more meat on its bones.
    _________
    A.G.C.

Touch: A Trilogy - AVAILABLE NOW!
    "The 'Touch' trilogy is a masterclass in world-building, tells a fascinating story with economy and intelligence, and does so with fine, pared-down prose." - Eric Brown, author of The Fall of Tartarus

"I loved this novella series. Brooding, earthy, whispering to us with a delicious mood of creeping dread while filling the heart with a pure sense of wonder." - Charles de Lint, author of The Onion Girl

A.G. Carpenter
    @Aggy_C

Page 100 of 104 FirstFirst ... 25507590949596979899100101102103104 LastLast