The 2016-2017 Sekrit Solstice Sci-Fi Fantasy Story Swap

themindstream

Registered
Reaction score
Finally been hit by kitkat! Hit me up for copies if you want it.

I realized only after I had sent my excerpt to Cobra that I mentioned portals in the excerpt, had portals mentioned in my sig for my WIP novel and had mentioned in this thread that I was considering writing in my novel's universe. No one else apparently picked up on this. >.>

CobraMisfit

I want to be Comic Sans.
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hey gang,

I posted in the Guessing Thread (and won't repeat those items), but this is where the Sisyphus lives and breathes, so wanted to take a moment to thank each and every one of you for participating. The Sisyphus started as a Secret Santa many years ago, but it's morphed into a wonderful event for building bonds and expanding fellowship with other authors. There's something truly magical about getting a story that's written especially for you and doing so with no "payout" is especially wonderful. We all lead busy lives, so your willingness to add this event to your plates is greatly appreciated.

Writing is, at its core, a very lonely hobby/profession. At the end of the day, to truly put pen to paper requires us to have some alone time with our thoughts. But events like the Sisyphus allow us to come together and share in the mutual struggles and triumphs that are unique to this art form. With any luck, folks here were not only able to knock the rust off their writing skills, like I was, but also get to know some new people.

But most important, I truly hope that everyone enjoyed the journey.

Thanks again and, with any luck, we'll see you again this December for the 2018 Sisyphus.

-CM

mrsmig

Write. Write. Writey Write Write.
Staff member
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Once again, as in years past, thank you for all you do to make this event one of the highlights of the AW year.

53afae31-89be-4277-b1fd-b44cae387084.jpg

JJ Litke

People are not wearing enough hats
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jjlitke.com
Thanks, Cobra! :Hail:

I've totally lost track of stories I still need to request and what I got but still need to read. I'll have to do some organizing tonight and try to straighten that all back out again.

-Riv-

The much appreciated
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cobra! :Hail:

I've totally lost track of stories I still need to request and what I got but still need to read. I'll have to do some organizing tonight and try to straighten that all back out again.

Same for me. Reorganization is on the horizon.

Thank you Cobra for the time, dedication, and pure fun of this year's event (again!), start to finish. Plus, your ding/nope! commentary is priceless. :greenie

Woot! Is it December yet!?

Richard White

Stealthy Plot Bunny Peddler
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.richardcwhite.com
Hopefully not, Riv. That's when my thesis is due. I'm trying to slow down time between now and then.

Same for me. Reorganization is on the horizon.

Thank you Cobra for the time, dedication, and pure fun of this year's event (again!), start to finish. Plus, your ding/nope! commentary is priceless. :greenie

Woot! Is it December yet!?

E.F.B.

Stories, stories everywhere
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.etsy.com
Hey gang,

I posted in the Guessing Thread (and won't repeat those items), but this is where the Sisyphus lives and breathes, so wanted to take a moment to thank each and every one of you for participating. The Sisyphus started as a Secret Santa many years ago, but it's morphed into a wonderful event for building bonds and expanding fellowship with other authors. There's something truly magical about getting a story that's written especially for you and doing so with no "payout" is especially wonderful. We all lead busy lives, so your willingness to add this event to your plates is greatly appreciated.

Writing is, at its core, a very lonely hobby/profession. At the end of the day, to truly put pen to paper requires us to have some alone time with our thoughts. But events like the Sisyphus allow us to come together and share in the mutual struggles and triumphs that are unique to this art form. With any luck, folks here were not only able to knock the rust off their writing skills, like I was, but also get to know some new people.

But most important, I truly hope that everyone enjoyed the journey.

Thanks again and, with any luck, we'll see you again this December for the 2018 Sisyphus.

-CM

tumblr_inline_o7pk2yO9eY1t85175_500_zpsjzud6yaf.gif
(Huh, I thought that gif was bigger. Oh well.) The sentiment behind it is still the same. :) :Hug2: and :heart: for Cobra for putting this wonder-filled event together every year! I'm SUPER happy I got up the guts to participate for the first time. Sisyphus stretched and challenged me in all the best ways and I feel like a better, more confident writer for it. Assuming no unforeseen circumstances arise, I'm looking forward to participating again when the next one rolls around. :D

I send hugs to all the rest of you too for contributing to the awesomesauce-ness of Sisyphus!

tumblr_inline_ncoa2jzNBD1r2vvwk_zpssveet2r5.gif

image2-1_zpsgb4f53kr.gif

J. A. Rama

Master Plot Hydra Conqueror
Registered
Reaction score
Website
phractalreality.blogspot.com
Yes! Same! This has been my 4th year participating, and despite the massive amounts of extra stress this year, it was awesome! I lave the insanity, and the shared excitement of this event even more than I do NaNo. Every year I've taken part, I've learned something about myself and my writing, and I've grown as a writer.

Sometimes I wish there were two Sisyphuses in the year, just to spread the awesome.

Massive thanks to Cobra for runinng it again this year! (And for giving me the perfect prompt and perfect gifter! XD)

To whoever posted before regarding prompts, no, you're not inordinately curious. I would love to know which prompts spawned which stories!

Hope y'all keep checking back on this thread, as I'm going to continue with my review series here.

Last edited:

Damoclian

Fragile Bunny
Registered
Reaction score
ETA: Also, my mapping/cartographic excellence skillz are hereby extended to all my friends here (each of you, and then some!!!) so if you want help that is human and not just an awesomesauce book of useful tidbits, prompts, and convenient examples like Richard's, I be 'ere fo' U. :D :Hug2: Richard's book is HERE, tho, just fyi.

The Sleeping Beauty by tianaluthien:

Broken Upon Sisyphus Rock by Ari Meermans:

R.U.R.-8 by zanzjan:

DAMNIT Bobo!!! :rant: You're overwhelming me with all these reviews!! :flag: Please continue. :D

And if you ever need any assistance on world building, (Unlikely after reading your story last night, but you never know), I know a guy who wrote a book on world building that Dammy reviewed who might be available for assistance. *grin*

QFT QFT QFT QFT! :eek:

Dammy,

Seeing how confession is good for the soul - you noted in your critique that I hadn't put a map in For A Few Gold Pieces More. The truth is, I have no map for the Empire. Since those were stand alone short stories when they were first written, I hadn't really considered how each story related to the other.

Not to worry though. Now that I'm developing a full novel around my rogue, there will be a map (whether the publisher wants to include it is anyone's guess).

Quite frankly Richard, I'm BUBBLING with excitement! :eek: (and not just for the map :p)

*waits patiently*

*waits IMpatiently*

Last edited:

Shadowflame

Gametrovert
Registered
Reaction score
Cobra,
Thank you so very very much for setting this up. Your hard work is greatly appreciated.

I loved the format this year. It allowed more time for everyone to guess and I think fun was had by all. I do not think any changes are necessary for next year.

Sue77

Registered
Reaction score
As a newcomer to Absolute Write, it has been an honour and a delight to participate in this years Sisyphus and the Guessing Thread.

I'm giving a big :thankyou: to both Cobra and all of you here for making my first time such fun.

I'd also like to thank Mary Love as she worked wonders with my 'not-really-a-prompt' prompt and highly recommend her story to the rest of you. As I like horror, Mary decided to try her hand at giving me something darkly horrible and she did a tremendous job.

Now I need to decide what other stories I want to read......... :e2cookie:

Mary Love

Registered
Reaction score
I'd also like to thank Mary Love as she worked wonders with my 'not-really-a-prompt' prompt and highly recommend her story to the rest of you. As I like horror, Mary decided to try her hand at giving me something darkly horrible and she did a tremendous job.

:eek: Shucks, thanks Sue! Hope to see you around AW a lot, as we all impatiently wait for next year's!

tjwriter

Emerging Anew
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.kidscoffeechaos.wordpress.com
Continuing my review series...

The Key by TJWriter - A nice, refreshing fantasy. I'm glad to see a protagonist who isn't a hotshot lovestruck young hero. This looks like an intriguing world that I'd like to know more about, especially regarding the machinations of the mafia and the society. Very nice!

D'awww, thanks Bobo!

Also, there are couple of people that I still need to respond to on requests for stories. The weekend was busy, so tonight or tomorrow.

And as always, many thanks to Cobra for keeping us all in line!! You manage to do a stellar job year after year.

Marlys

Resist. Love. Go outside.
Registered
Reaction score
Adding my thanks to Cobra. This was a blast!

Jaymz Connelly

Kookaburra sits in the old gum tree
Registered
Reaction score
My first year participating and I had an absolute BLAST! I want to thank all of you for the camaraderie as we wrote, waited, guessed, waited... :D AND most of all, I would like to thank Cobra for being totally awesome and covered in awesomesauce! :Hail::Hail::e2crown::Thumbs: The sheer magnitude of his organizational skills has me all aflutter! (I am an organizing nerd)

Now I need to go and beg for more stories!

But I have to say... Without Words by Lillian Blaire, The Kill Curse by Mary Love, Miss Fairest in the Land by Tiddly, and Like I Need a Hole in the Head by Maggie are ALLLLLLLL totally awesome reads! I had the absolute pleasure of doing beta for Lil and Mary and I know they both worked very hard to give their giftee a great story - as we all did, and that effort shows! Every story I've read so far has been fantastic!

I have one scene left on my current story and then I am going to gorge myself on stories!

So looking forward to December when we get to do it all over again! :hooray:

Anna_Hedley

Fuelled by tea and crumpets.
Registered
Reaction score
Oh, looks like I was the last one to be guessed :) If anyone would like to read Master Forsythe's Legacy please rep or pm me your email address. But be warned it's 15k, which is I think is one of the longest.

I also highly recommend my gift this year which was The Last Dance Before Midnight written by Siana Blackwood. It's sad and haunting but in a beautiful way and I thoroughly enjoyed it.

Last edited:

Kitkitdizzi

Don't feed the critters
Registered
Reaction score
If anyone wants to read Spirit of the Dead River rep me with your email and I'll send it over. It's a bit over 7200 words. If you want a little mood music for it, it was also inspired by Priscilla Hernandez's song The Realms of Twilight. Linky here.

Tamlyn

fish skeleton
Registered
Reaction score
Thank you, Cobra, for awesome organisation!

I'm already looking forward to next time.

tiddlywinks

Chaser of Shineyyyy Plot Bunnies
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Trying to Remember Where I Stashed My Muse
Website
www.elainewitt.com
:e2cry:

But...but I don't WANT Sisyphus to be over!!

Cobra is awesome. And he's lucky I can't hug and squeeze him for giving me such awesome prompts every year.

Sigh.

I shall have to console myself with story requests. I'm making them slowly over the next week or so and hoarding the precioussssssss for reading soon.

Last edited:

Aggy B.

Not as sweet as you think
Registered
Reaction score
The SSSFFFSS is quite fun. One of these years I might succeed in not writing something novella length. (Well, this year it was 17k, which is technically still a novelette.) I do intend to revisit it and turn it into something a little more marketable at some point. Because it's a charming little Regency fantasy right now, but could use a little more meat on its bones. :)