• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

Stationary celestial object

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
Is it swamp gas? Aliens? Venus? Any celestial object should appear to move throughout the night due to the fact that the Earth is moving and spinning, right? Everything else does. I live in Ky and for the last month there has been a stationary (or at least close enough to stationary that I can't tell) object in the sky. It doesn't twinkle like a star. I've noticed it because it's close to if not the brightest thing in the sky excepting the moon. It's the first to show up in the evening and the last to be hidden by the dawn. It's due southwest of me in the sky. I don't know the correct astronomic terms but if I were to imagine an arc where zero degrees were the horizon and 90 degrees were straight above me then this thing is probably about 20 degrees up from the horizon along that arc. Given my chronic insomnia I've watched this thing at all hours and like I've said it's been there for at least a month and given its brightness and again my insomnia I think that I would have noticed it years before now. I don't have a telescope. My wife thinks it's Venus, but shouldn't Venus appear to move?

As I understand it there shouldn't be any geosynchronous satellites in that area

Last edited:

MaeZe

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Venus looks like it's moving, it demonstrates just how fast the Earth is turning. Also, if you've ever tried to look at an object through a telescope, it's amazing (and annoying) how often you have to move your telescope to keep the object in sight.

If you are saying the thing is 20 degrees off the horizon and stays 20 degrees off the horizon all night long, that object is either on the Earth (i.e. you are seeing a light of some kind) or, the angle of the object in relation to the Earth is more perpendicular, and less on the ecliptic.

For example, the North Star stays relatively overhead as the Earth turns. The big Dipper looks like it rotates in place. But the planets that are on ecliptic appear to rise and set as the Earth rotates.

Last edited:

JulianneQJohnson

Ferret Herder
Registered
Reaction score
Website
julianneqjohnson.com
We have 402 satellites in geosynchronous orbit all around the equator. If it's that low in the sky where you are, it seems highly possible it could be one of those satellites. What makes you think it is not?

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
No satellite would be the brightest object in the sky, except maybe momentarily (Iridium flare). Especially a geosynchronous one, since those are further away.

It's not Venus, if it's there in the morning and the evening.

The North Star appears stationary. If you're near the Arctic circle it would be close to 20 degrees above the horizon.

Otherwise I expect it's on Earth. What's in that direction in the daytime? Any mountains? A tower?

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The North Star appears stationary. If you're near the Arctic circle it would be close to 20 degrees above the horizon.

If you're near the Arctic Circle, the North Star would be high in the sky, nearly overhead. I live in Alaska, about 400 miles south of the Arctic Circle, and it's high in the sky here. It's also a second-magnitude star, far from the brightest star visible. At about 20 degrees in visual elevation above the southwestern horizon, this object could not possibly be Polaris (the North Star).

caw

WriterDude

Writer?
Registered
Reaction score
There is a bright thing in the sky here (northern england), and I can only see it on the drive home at 5-6pm to the south west. Its significantly brighter than Venus but no idea what it is. I should get one of those apps you point at the sky.

morngnstar

Registered
Reaction score
If you're near the Arctic Circle, the North Star would be high in the sky, nearly overhead. I live in Alaska, about 400 miles south of the Arctic Circle, and it's high in the sky here. It's also a second-magnitude star, far from the brightest star visible. At about 20 degrees in visual elevation above the southwestern horizon, this object could not possibly be Polaris (the North Star).

caw

Oops, my bad. Yeah, if you're near the tropics it'll be low. Still probably not it since it's far from the brightest.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
disregard, I misunderstood the OP...

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
No satellite would be the brightest object in the sky, except maybe momentarily (Iridium flare). Especially a geosynchronous one, since those are further away.

It's not Venus, if it's there in the morning and the evening.

Otherwise I expect it's on Earth. What's in that direction in the daytime? Any mountains? A tower?
No mountains that high, no towers that high. It's well above the horizon since our farm is on one of the ridges

Cobalt Jade

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Do you live near a military base, or federal land? It might be a stationary balloon with a light attached for some purpose I can't think of.

Dennis E. Taylor

Get it off! It burns!
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There are also those really tall radio towers you see occasionally, here and there. They wouldn't necessarily be visible during the day, being very thin, but they'd have a light on top to warn off aircraft.

If it was me, I'd "mark" the exact direction with a stick, or point a telescope at it or something. Wait 5 minutes, see if it drifts. If not, wait until morning, then look in that direction.