Denver Broncos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jason

Ideas bounce around in my head
Registered
Reaction score
The first half of the season, I was nervously surprised. The offense was weak but seemed to be learning. The defense wasn't the same as last year, but we kept winning. The third down performance was horrible though.

Tonight, with the Raiders in first place, and we are tied with Kansas City for 2nd, we hosted the Chiefs.

The winner stays within a game, and likely retains at least a wildcard berth in the playoffs.

The loser falls two games back, and likely out of the playoffs.

We hosted the Chiefs...they came into our backyard.

And we lost. How'd this happen? With:
pathetic offense in the first half
pathetic defense at the end of regulation
pathetic coaching decisions throughout
pathetic special teams performance

Congrats Broncos, you're dead to me for the rest of 2016. I need a scotch :(

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
The major reason, in the end, that the Broncos lost, was an idiotic coaching decision by Kubiak, whom I actually think pretty highly of as a coach. Here's my analysis, which essentially follows what Cris Collinsworth seemed to be thinking:

You're 4th and long, and at the absolute outside edge of any kicker's field goal range, asking for one of the four or five longest field goals in NFL history. You have two other choices: Punt, and essentially accept a tie, leaving you tied for second in the division with the Chiefs. You go for it on 4th down, with no downside other than leaving the ball in the middle of the field for the Chiefs, IF you don't make it. If you make it, you now have a much better field goal chance. And even if you don't make it, you run more time off the clock.

But by kicking and (predictably) missing, you leave the ball in the middle of the field, and the clock stops, leaving the Chiefs with just enough time to run a couple of plays and put themselves into a field goal opportunity. Which is exactly what happened. Strikes me as the worst of the three possible decisions, which is what I thought even before the coaching decision was made.

I haven't heard how Kubiak explained that decision, but I imagine some kind of sophistry must have been involved.

caw

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Agreed, it was his third (and worst) bad decision of the night.

Of course I'm going to still watch, but my heart is no longer in it when the coaches, players and management all seem to care less than the fans.

Unless of course they knew they'd lose and are attempting to fail in a thinly disguised attempt to move up in the draft and get some offensive linemen...

:Soapbox:

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Ok, so they beat Jacksonville, and the Dolphins also lost. So, if the season ended today we'd have the lowest wildcard. Three buts:

1. It didn't end today.
2. The win came at the hands of a weak offense.
3. We still have to face New England, the Raiders, and the Chiefs again - projected to lose all three.

Prediction: We lose out, miss the playoffs for the first time in half a dozen years and become the 13th instance (we did it before though too...lol) of champion ever to flame out that badly, after winning so amazingly last season.

If we don't draft an offensive line, we're gonna suck even worse next year. Oh wait, I forgot, I'm not paying attention anymore...lol

ttwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, Raiders fan here... I hope you don't mind if I jump in.

I just wanted to say that except when Denver plays Oakland, I'm rooting for the Broncos. Personally, I'd love to see the AFC West take three playoff spots. Also, KC's win today was an absolute fluke. Without that INT on the 2-point conversion, they're behind late in the game. Oakland looked terrible today in the fist half plus part of the third quarter. I think the Chiefs and Raiders are more fragile than you might realize. Both teams have squeaked by with so many close games. Heck, I'm worried about our next game against San Diego. I feel like we are destined to lose that game. That's what the bottom of the division does: live to spoil the division leaders' seasons. I should know: prior to this season, we had been at the bottom for what feels like a solid decade.

So hang in there. The AFC West can do this. So long as we can beat the teams outside of the division. And the Chargers. Even for us, I feel like if we're going to go all the way, we're going to have to beat KC and New England on the road in the playoffs. That's just the way it seems. It's hard for us to beat KC (we've already lost to them once) and New England seems too dang solid to drop too many more games. I hope you guys beat them, but they almost never struggle. And when Brady is hot, they're almost unstoppable.

Anyhow, I just wanted to throw that in. You guys are still in this. Good luck, especially against KC and New England! :)

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Ha, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but am afraid I can't echo that:

We play the Titans next (not sure how that will go)
Then we play NE - unstoppable imho
Then we play you (Raiders) on your turf - and you've got our number :(
Then we play KC - on their turf - and (again) our offense is just not there right now :(

So, at best, we go 1-3 the rest of the way.

We're at 8-4 now, so will finish 9-7, which is a game better than I would've guessed at the start

Even if we win out, to end up 12-4 (unlikely), you would have to lose 3 of your next 4, and I just don't see that happening (with KC, NE, Chargers, and Broncos...my guess is you'll beat KC, lose to NE, beat the Chargers and beat us) - so you'll go 3-1

But, ya never know, and that's why they play the game right? :)

Anyway, thanks for chiming in/commiserating! LOL

If we don't make it, kick the pants off NE and win the SuperBowl! :)

ttwrite

Registered
Reaction score
So, at best, we go 1-3 the rest of the way.

I give you 2-2. I think you're going to beat the Titans. And I think you'll beat either the Raiders or the Chiefs. Division games rarely go the same way twice. We did play really well against you guys last time, but honestly, that's the single best game we've played all season. I wish we could play like that all the time! I doubt we'll see that again. I mean, I hope, but I doubt it.

So 2-2 would put you at 10-6. With that record, you might need some help from outside the division to go as a wildcard... oh, Dolphins and Steelers/Ravens are only one game back. Wow, you're right, this won't be easy. But all this hinges on you beating the Titans. If you don't beat them, you're effectively out. Hmm... betting odds favor the Titans by one point. I think there's some money to be made there! LOL, I don't bet on games. Except when I'm in Vegas, of course. :)

(with KC, NE, Chargers, and Broncos...my guess is you'll beat KC, lose to NE, beat the Chargers and beat us) - so you'll go 3-1

I just checked our schedule... we don't have NE. We have the Colts. Is that right? Wow, I'd actually rather play NE. I hope we face them in the playoffs. That's a game I really want to see. On average I think we lose because of our defense, but a good performance could collapse the pocket on Brady and give us the win. But they are a machine.

I give us... I can't even call it. I will be sad with 2-2 and ecstatic with 3-1. We're going to struggle with all these games. We will start the fourth quarter behind, that's almost a given. So can we come back... yet again? It's so nerve racking to watch these games! Honestly, Denver was our only solid win. I'm glad we don't face the Browns. We would probably be their one win. Ugh!

But, ya never know, and that's why they play the game right? :)

Absolutely! Good luck to us both this weekend! :)

Anyway, thanks for chiming in/commiserating! LOL

Hey, any time! I'm just glad you're welcoming a rival! Actually, outside of a football context, I find that football usually brings people together, even rivals. I'm just so glad we're a playoff contender this season. It's been well over a decade! Oh, and I've felt every year. Although, year before last was a good one. We went 3-13, but we beat the Niners! Ah, still savoring that one! :)

If we don't make it, kick the pants off NE and win the SuperBowl! :)

You bet! And be sure to beat KC for us. If we lose to them, we will be tied but they have the tie breaker. So we would need some help. :)

Wow, Oakland-New England and Oakland-Dallas would both be great games! Don't get me started! We still have to get through the AFC West regular season, and then the AFC West postseason. KC is going to make it, you know they will. And with some help, Denver too!

Good talking to you. Let's see how this week goes. These are extremely important games for both Denver and Oakland. Good luck! :)

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
My bad, I was quoting our schedule LOL...Broncos play NE:

Titans - Win
NE - Lose
KC - Lose
You (Raiders) - Lose

Your schedule is:
KC - Coin Flip
Chargers - Win
Colts - Win
Us (Broncos) - Win

I'd actually laugh if 3 of the 4 AFC West teams are in the playoffs! That'd be kinda cool, even if we (Broncos) are low man on the totem pole...

ttwrite

Registered
Reaction score
LOL, no problem on the schedule! I had to look it up myself! :)

I'd actually laugh if 3 of the 4 AFC West teams are in the playoffs! That'd be kinda cool

Oh, I would SO love that! Seriously, that's what I'm pulling for. At that point, it all comes down to the playoff games. Can you imagine, having to play each other three times in the season! It's been a long time since that has happened!

Ugh, our big game is tomorrow. I'm so nervous. I'm in a football pool and of course I have the Raiders. But the Chiefs are favored and lot of the "experts" are picking them as well. And the game is in KC. We need to come out strong.

If you're watching the game and you see us run for 2 yards on first down, run for 2 yards on second down, and then get a holding penalty on third down to negate a completed pass and set up a third and 16... just know that I am SCREAMING at the TV! :) I see it too often! Ah, I'm hoping for a good game. We need offense and defense working together on this one!

Enjoy the game!

ttwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Ouch! We were dominated! Our defense showed up. Our running game showed up. But our passing game... I think it got left on the plane.

I have to say, KC's pass rushing was outstanding. It seemed like Carr rarely had more than a couple of seconds to get rid of the ball. Overall, they made their clutch plays and we didn't make ours. Tough game. KC is very strong right now. If we get another crack at them, it looks like it's going to be in KC. Unless of course... maybe... Denver can help us! :)

Good luck this weekend!

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
And of course the offense didn't show up...again. Pathetic - we basically need to win out to make the playoffs even at this point

ttwrite

Registered
Reaction score
I didn't see the game, but the highlights didn't look good. Sigh. Other than the Chiefs, what happened to the AFC West this week? It's going to be a tough final stretch.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Ugh, my head hurts at the possible fallout, but Miami and Pittsburgh are still in the hunt, and we're (Broncos) on the outside looking in unless we win out, which is unlikely at this point :(

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I stand corrected:

• Titans - Lost
  • NE - Lost
  • KC - Lose
  • Raiders - Lose

Guess I was too generous with one win (against the Titans LOL)

ttwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Guess I was too generous with one win (against the Titans LOL)

Wow, the Titans. Who would have thought? The Chiefs lost to them this week as well! What's going on?

Well, we did end up beating the Chargers. But we were behind in the fourth quarter and had to come back to do it. Why does it always have to be this way? It's a heart attack every game. I mean, I'm glad we're winning, but something is going on. I can't figure out if it's coaching or morale. I think maybe guys are playing above their level late in the game. We weren't supposed to do this well this year. I was just hoping for a winning season. So I think the holes in the team are just very evident early in the game.

So the Chiefs losing has put us back into first place in the West. Can we win out? Ugh, I wish I knew.

I wish your prospects were looking better. But losing to the Titans made everything very, very difficult. I hope you guys beat the Chiefs. That would change everything. If you did that and we beat the Colts, then I wouldn't even mind losing to you guys in the final week. So long as we played a good game. Getting to the playoffs is worthless if you're not playing good football.

Enjoy the games this weekend! And good luck to you! I know it's possible! Keep the faith! :)

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
I'll always have faith, but for this season, all hope is lost (even though there's a mathematical possibility)...

Truth be told, I'd rather lose out and get better position for the 2017 draft

*cough cough*
Offensive linemen in our future?

One can hope for that at least :)

ttwrite

Registered
Reaction score
So we win our game, but we lose our starting QB for the rest of the season. Ugh. This isn't how things were supposed to go. Oh well. Here's to hoping our backup can pull off a few miracles. The Broncos might do better in this game than previously thought. Although, I always thought you guys would be in it.

Here's to another Broncos-Raiders rivalry game!

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, losing Carr kinda sucks. It may be the Chiefs representing the AFC, though I think the Pats aren't gonna falter at all. Getting so sick of Brady and Bellicheck too...oh well, here's for better draft position after the season! :)

ttwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Hey, what a surprise... we lost to Denver! This is a terrible way to head into the playoffs. Oh well, I think with such a young team, losing our starting QB is just too much. Maybe next year.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
And when the Broncos should have thrown the game to position better for next years draft, they go and win. *sigh*

ttwrite

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, that game didn't help anyone! Well, except for the Chiefs. So if the Raiders get knocked out in the first round, who are you rooting for? I'll go with the Chiefs. It would be cool to see Alex Smith get to the Super Bowl. Also, we just don't need to see the Pats there again. On the NFC side, I really like Dallas' new quarterback. But then again it's Dallas. I like the Seahawks and Packers. Even the Giants would be cool.

Chiefs-Packers. You heard it here first. LOL! Just don't let it be Patriots-Cowboys.

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Chiefs-Packers is my vote too. Sorry to the massholes but am so sick of the Patriots. If it's the Cowboys, at least I'll get to see their cheerleaders lol, so really neutral about the NFC.

BUT at the end of the day my loyalty goes in this order:
Broncos
AFC West
AFC (minus Patriots)
:)

Jason

Registered
Reaction score
Well, clearly that's not happening!

The only hope now is that they somehow intentionally lose out and get a kick butt draft selection for next year...

:(

Status
Not open for further replies.