U. of Michigan loses

Status
Not open for further replies.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Not to offend U. of Michigan supporters, but me, an alumnus of the U. of Iowa, could not be happier that Michigan lost today's pivotal college football game to Ohio State. On any other Saturday, I'd be completely happy to see Ohio State lose. It would have been best if both teams had lost, but, alas, given that they were playing each other, that couldn't happen.

But Michigan head coach Jim Harbaugh is the Donald Trump of college football, and, predictably, threw a whining tantrum against the officiating at the end of the double-overtime loss. Yo, Jim, you wouldn't have been in this position if Iowa hadn't beaten you two weeks ago. Suck it up. You'll get a nice bowl game bid, but you won't participate in the four-team playoff for the national championship this year. Ya wins some, ya loses some. Show some class.

The four-team playoff? My prediction, pending the conference championship games next week:

Alabama (undefeated, a lock)
Clemson
Penn State or Wisconsin (whoever wins the Big Ten championship game)
Washington (if they win the Pac-10 championship game)

If Washington loses, then Ohio State will sneak into the quartet.

cas

ElaineA

All about that action, boss.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.reneedominick.com
I am a Washington alum. We're not feeling at all certain about making the playoff. Penn State has 2 losses, but will get in if they win the Big 10? (Looks like yes) And the committee has been high on Ohio State all year. We could get bounced by them even IF we win, based on "strength of competition" nonsense. (The SEC has more bad teams than any league and somehow it never hurts their top teams' reputations.)

cmhbob

Did...did I do that?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bobmuellerwriter.com
That game will go high on the list of classic editions of The Game.

Yeah, Harbaugh was whiny. The spot on teh 4th and 1 play was right, and none of the angles I saw could conclusively overturn it anyway, so it had to stand. He did have a point or two about some of the calls or lack thereof. I think the sideline unsportsmanlike conduct call was cheap. He was simply reacting to his own team's fumble, not being critical of the other team, or the refs. I didn't see that as unsportsmanlike.

While our defense had Barrett rocked back on his heels for most of the game, we left 7 points on the table with Speight's fumble on the 2, and gave up 7 on his first interception. That would have drastically changed the score. O$U fans are bragging about beating us, but they had to come from behind to do it, and needed a walk-off FG to tie the game. We played a great game for about 3.5 quarters. We just couldn't quite seal the deal.

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Washington beats Colorado in the Pac-12 title game, they're in the playoff. Wisconsin beats Penn State in the Big Ten title game, they're in; if it goes the other way, things get interesting. Some Big Ten is going to get in, but it won't be Michigan. Could be any of Wis, PSU or OSU, dependent on the championship games. Alabama is a lock, and Clemson a near-lock. But of Colorado upsets Washington, probably two Big Ten teams make the field. And if Clemson gets upset, things get really messy. This year is a really good argument for an eight-team tournament, the way the FCS division has done successfully for many years.

caw

Status
Not open for further replies.