Music Overdose

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Hi. So, I've been making loads of progress with music lately. I attribute it to buying a bass. Suddenly, I'm learning all sorts of new methods/tricks on guitar as well, by learning guitar and bass in tandem. Anyway, I've reached a point where I'm now confident enough, and have most of the gear I need, to record my very first song/album. It's an amazing feeling! I've been watching a bunch of FL Studio tutorial videos, and since buying the bass I've been watching a lot of music-related videos on YouTube (mostly watching other people play, but also a few theory discussions and such like). I'm basically ready to go, which is really exciting.

Yet I find I can't start yet.

I think this is a case of music overdose. I've learned too much, too quickly, and there are now too many avenues to explore. It feels like I'm no longer on steady ground from which to launch my assault. Been trying to get my head in the right headspace before I sit down and really give this my best try, but I'm still feeling a bit overwhelmed.

Has anyone experienced this? And what did you do to combat the issue? I suspect it's just a matter of time, but if there are any tricks I could use to speed the process up a bit, that would be great. Now that I have most of the tools I need, and enough playing skill, I really do want to get stuck into it. Just feel like I'm kind of in limbo or something.

I'd liken it to writing burnout. Like, you write an entire novel for NaNoWriMo, then in December you're reduced to a drooling puddle of useless goo. That sort of thing.

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
From the sound of it, you have the skill and equipment to make an album, but I don't hear anything about what album you're actually eager to make. No musical vision bursting out of you, just the urge to make music?

I can relate. I'm a hobbyist who picked up music as a distinctive non-writing excercise I can do while standing and not facing a screen. So, no great ambition here. My favorite kind of practise is to focus on one improvised lick I like and play that until I get good at it. I never record them or anything, I just let them fly by and forget them, hoping I can tap into the experience and come up with something good if and when I need it. One reason I never recorded any is that none of those licks are unique or special, as evidenced by the flying-by. Just fun to play. None of that needed to be recorded. (I may have to soon, though. My Patreon video is outdated, and that's one thing I like to score myself.)

My advice for as long as nothing screams at you that needs to be a finished work: Don't sweat it. Just enjoy the practice.

Also, don't think 'album'. Think 'EP'. Think 'song' or 'jingle' or 'reel' and try different smaller things for size. It's the same advice I give to would-be writers who want to write a 1000 page fantasy epic and don't know where to start. Write short stories first to get a feel for the world and the characters. An album (or epic) is an intimidating thing if you want it all to fit. Start small, work up.

onesecondglance

pretending to be awake
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
soundcloud.com
Inspiration! It is a tricky beast to pin down. Echo everything that Max said.

What I would say is not to sit down, crack your knuckles, and say, "NOW. I will write a masterpiece!"

Try just sitting down and having some fun messing about with music. Call it learning if you want. "I'm going to learn how to sweep pick. I'm going to learn how to make pads with this synth. I'm going to learn how to sing falsetto like the Bee Gees." This is explicitly about messing around. It is not focused, structured practice. You're just going to have a bit of fun. No pressure. What you may well find is that you begin writing anyway. That synth sound, wouldn't it sound great with a beat underneath it? Oh, oh, and it needs a bassline. Hang on, that's half a song, right there...

(For bonus points, do this when you are very, very tired: as in, barely keeping your eyes open tired. Many people find they are more creative when they are tired. Something to do with the subconscious coming more to the fore. I've written whole suites of songs about being tired while tired. It's not good for your day job, but if you get good songs, that's something, right? :p)

I can sit down and say, "I am going to write the chorus for this song". I've been writing songs for decades, so I know how to engage that part of my brain. But I still write a lot of my best stuff when I'm not trying - when I'm just noodling around. And more often than not, when I take the forced approach, it's because I need something to go with an idea that came from such noodling. Trying to go completely from scratch is hard.

Another approach is to try and copy a song you like. Now, you're not going to plagiarise here. Just take a song you really like, and say to yourself, "I'm going to write a song like that one". That means you need to understand why that song works. Pull the structure and the arrangement apart. There's a string section coming in on that bit - okay, give that a go. There's a little variation on the second chorus - okay, try that. Once you have the shell of a whole song just like the one you started with, take that shell into a different direction. Expand the middle 8 out and drop the third verse to make room. Replace the guitar solo with a synth break. Change all the major chords to minor and vice versa. Make it your song all the way.

I would also suggest you be both selfish and tunnelblind. Don't think about whether anyone else will like what you're writing, or what genre it is, or how it fits with other stuff you've done, or whether you could play it live (if you do this), or about anything other than making your ears happy. Does it sound good? Do you want to just stick it on loop and listen to it for hours? Great. Keep it! Think only about what you want to listen to.

Hope some of these ideas help.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, both.

As far as having an album idea in mind: I do. I wrote half an album's worth of lyrics about a decade ago, and I've never forgotten the album concept. I still love it today, even if the lyrics aren't even finished yet.

But yes - still having fun while recording is absolutely critical, I would guess. I mean, I learned these various instruments by seeking fun. I never went in for the hard practice (like, "Okay, play this section very very slowly to get the muscle memory, then slowly speed it up. Then practice these chord progressions and scales the same way. Then memorise this basic song, playing it very slowly, and..." etc.). Instead I've learned by just having fun and taking note of what worked and what didn't, with complete disregard for any actual theory. So continuing to have fun is definitely high on my priorities. :)

And honestly, I don't even think it's a lack of inspiration. I just feel overwhelmed, or something similar. Because I've never written/recorded an entire song before, so there's the whole learning-curve inherent in that. Then added onto that is that I've been pushing my musical energy pretty hard lately, harder than ever before.

Anyway... Thanks for the support. :)

Layla Nahar

Seashell Seller
Registered
Reaction score
Pick a title for your album. You need - at min 8 songs, esp if there are a couple of long songs. & start recording one of the songs. Maybe the drum track for the first four measures of a song. & then another track, those 4 measures, then after that you could do out the next four measure of drum track, etc etc. You can do it. You know you can. Start small.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks. :)

And yeah, that was the way I figured I would do it. Get an idea for part of a track on a particular instrument, get that down, then go from there with what I can deduce has to go alongside it.

Meanwhile, I've just downloaded Bias FX, which has a bunch of amp sims and effects pedals and such like in the form of a DAW plugin. Played around with it for a while... I was getting an absolutely horrendous noise from it at first, but I think I've figured out where most of the problem was. The presets that are designed to help you get to know the plugin were just waaaay too gain-y. Like, loads of gain on the amp sim, as well as on pedals. Hopefully that's where the problem was, anyway... That, and the master noise gate.

So yeah... Making small steps. It still seems like an overwhelming thing, mind, but each new bit I play around with makes it slightly less daunting.

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Caving in and paying for Bias FX seems to have really helped, actually. I've spent a good chunk of today learning how the program works, how it interacts with FL Studio, and a few ways to do what I want it to do - along with I spent a good hour and a half (over 2 sessions) getting significantly better at my distortion playing on guitar. Like, I've been owning the clean signal playing for a while now, but my distorted playing was too fast and not precise enough, so I was getting the dreaded wall of noise (especially on the A and E). So yeah... Progress has been made.

Thanks. I think it really does help to have somewhere to talk about this stuff, with people who understand. :)

Max Vaehling

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.dreadfulgate.de
Even with half an album's worth of lyrics in your pocket - though, wait, that's like 6 songs, isn't it? Could be an EP after all - I recommend starting small. Make a song or if you can't get those lyrics to work with anything, an intrumental. Finish it. That's the most important part. Repeat.

When you have enough of those pieces, try assembling them into something larger. Six tunes make a good EP. Maybe adjust the mixes so they fit better or see if the sequence still needs a certain kind of filler. If they're all instrumental, consider wriitng lyrics to some of them.

Finish that. Again, finishing is the most important bit.

Try a suite of songs for the next EP, maybe based on one of the tunes you already have. Finish that.

Before you know it, you'll have the skills to try something larger.
And the habit of finishing stuff.

Also, if you've been busy publishing your finished stuff on Bandcamp or Soundcloud or YouTube or Patreon, you're also several steps into finding an auidience for the album.

... says the guy who stopped making music altogether just before he was ready to record his EP, but never mind. That was long ago and I've learned it since, just not with music...

Caitlin Black

Wild one
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. :)

I was toying with the idea of making my first-ever recorded song something that does *not* go on the album. That is, there'd be less pressure if I screw it up. Once I've gotten an entire song pieced together, then I can decide whether I need to practice a few more times, or if I can go straight for the jugular and get some work done on the actual album.

I think it really is just a matter of time, though, with the whole feeling-burnt-out thing. I played guitar for a solid hour earlier today, and was feeling fairly well refreshed after having taken a few days away from music. And actually, knowing that I'm close to recording actual songs has helped me focus on the aspects of my playing that were a bit sloppy. Which means I'm learning stuff again, after feeling like I'd somewhat plateaued. So hooray!

I'm also thinking that I'll fiddle around with some electronica music, partly because I've been getting into dark electro this past year or so, and partly because it'd be good practice for figuring out how entire songs come together from individual parts.