AW Amazon Affiliate Store

confused by self-publishing? Find your way to self-publishing success in just 5 easy steps with this free how-to guide!

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: How to Know You're Old

Now available (see sig for link)! Cliff Face's Avatar
    So, I'm aware that I'm still considered young-ish at 32, but... I felt really old at times when I went back to university. Being 30 when the average student was 19 led to me saying, "I'm showing my age here, but..." a lot. And I felt especially old when I met not one, but two professors who were younger than me. *sigh*

And I'd never even considered the floppy-disk save icon thing before. The first PC my family owned used the old style of floppy disks - the ones that actually flopped about, rather than the smaller hard floppies.
    To listen to my feeble attempts at music, go here! I'll be adding to it (hopefully) for all of February.

Buy my comedic urban fantasy novel on Kindle today!
    I now have a blog.
    (Updated 23 January 2016)
    I also have a website. How exciting!

Main WIPs

The Black Book That Went 'Thud'
    The Little House of Flames
    From De-cluttering To Minimalism: A Journey

is watching you via her avatar jjdebenedictis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by regdog View Post
    Anyone remember these

PIXY STIX!! **runs about flailing in happiness**

Cocaine for four-year-olds. LOVED that stuff.
    Twitter: jjdebenedictis
    GoodReads: jj-debenedictis

Scribe of the girls in the basement Marissa D's Avatar
    New England but hankering for the old one
    There's a "country store" near me that has an attached, separate candy store, and they carry all of those and more. I only go in on a very full stomach.

I got a yuge bag of chocolate Necco Wafers for Christmas. Just sayin'.
    Quote Originally Posted by Curlz View Post
    For those of you that don't know what "haggis" is, I can only say that it's much better not knowing anyway
    Stewie the Chihuey
    featuring the lovely and talented

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Quote Originally Posted by Cliff Face View Post
    So, I'm aware that I'm still considered young-ish at 32, but... I felt really old at times when I went back to university. Being 30 when the average student was 19 led to me saying, "I'm showing my age here, but..." a lot. And I felt especially old when I met not one, but two professors who were younger than me. *sigh*
    Professors younger than 32? Where is this university? That's pretty rare in my neck of the woods (though I'm old enough now that "young" faculty in their late 30s and early 40s look like kids anyway). I feel completely inadequate, as I didn't even finish my dissertation until I was 34. We do have a new adjunct in the department who is in his thirties though, and he's so bright-eyed, fresh and eager it makes me feel like a tired old husk.

Every one of the doctors I had when I first started as a patient at Kaiser in the early 2000s has retired now (save one, who is my age almost exactly, and I wonder how much longer she'll be around, since doctors seem to retire early), and they've been replaced by newly minted docs who are all quite a bit younger than me.

So that feeling you describe only gets more frequent as you age into your 40s and 50s (and beyond, I'm guessing)

I felt really old (and also like the world's least meticulous housekeeper) when I was cleaning the living room the other day and sorted through our collection of movies and so on. There were some VHS tapes in the mix, which had obviously been there for a reeeealy long time. Many of my students have no coherent memory of ever even using a VCR.

I also considered that actually owning a DVD or Blu ray of a movie and playing them on a player at all is likely something younger people don't do anymore.
    Last edited by Roxxsmom; 01-09-2017 at 03:05 AM.
    Please excuse me, I was raised by wolves.

My twitter - My FB - My blog

practical experience, FTW
    Anyone remember these

Oh yeah! when penny candy actually cost a penny.

It doesn't seem all that long ago when I typed in an old Royal manual, everybody washed their dishes by hand, and if you want to cool off in the summertime you went to the library or to a movie. On the whole, I do prefer "now" over "then."

Roxx, it was a university in South Australia. One in particular had gone straight from high school into uni, doing his BA, Honours, then PhD, and wound up snagging a job as a professor the next year. So he was, like, 26 maybe?
    To listen to my feeble attempts at music, go here! I'll be adding to it (hopefully) for all of February.

I now have a blog.

Main WIPs

Yeah, if you took some advanced placement classes in high school, graduated at 17, then took a fairly heavy course load some of your college semesters, you can graduate from the undergrad program in three or three and a half years, so you're 20, then leap right into the graduate program, finish it in four and a half years if your advisors are quick and you work hard, and get hired quickly, at 25 or 26, depending on when your birthday is.

Of course for most grad students, there are factors slowing everything down. The Kid (our older daughter) had an advisor who would take weeks or months to get back to her when asked questions on the dissertation. We figure it added at least one semester. Luckily she had a free ride or we'd have balked.
    "I've never had to fake sarcasm."

Brick by Brick, a mťnage ŗ trois novel (soon to be re-released)
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

practical experience, FTW Tazlima's Avatar
    The other day, I got my first "you're buying alcohol, so I have to check your ID per company policy, but you're obviously waaay past 21, so I'm going to try to make it less awkward by joking about you being a whippersnapper or a young lady or some such jargon." (I don't remember his exact words, but I've witnessed variations on this interaction my entire life when out with older relatives). It's the first time I've gotten the "you're so old, Imma joke about you being young," treatment.

It was weird.
    Last edited by Tazlima; 01-09-2017 at 08:22 PM.
    "One of the hardest things to do, I think, is learn to trust your own creativity." - Ambrosia

The Scavengers AW Moderator regdog's Avatar
    Primus' Poster Children For Bad Life Choices
    Okay, I may be feeling a wee bit old today. The Joshua Tree is celebrating its 30th anniversary this year. WTF how can that album be 30 years old?!!!!!!!!!!!!???!?!?!?!?!?
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy
    Quote Originally Posted by jjdebenedictis View Post
    The third time I felt old was when someone mentioned how they'd had to spend several minutes explaining to their four-year-old why the "Save" icon in Word was shaped like that. (It's gone entirely now, but it used to be shaped like a diskette, and, well...)
    Not sure if it's apocryphal, but I remember reading a story of a kid coming across an old floppy disk somehow and going "Hey, cool, someone 3D printed the save icon!"

Quote Originally Posted by WritersUnblock View Post
    You know you're old when talking to younger people and they don't get your references.
    Destiny Deceived - Internet serial story. Written by one of the best writers I have ever been.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk"
    Douglas Adams

I started feeling old when my brother, who is 11 years younger than me, remarked that it was cool I listened to "Oldies" when I played a CD from the Eurythmics.

It was about 1995...

I've only felt older and older every day since.
    -- Myrea
    "When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won. Donít let the page win."
    Alasdair Stewart

Quote Originally Posted by Roxxsmom View Post
    Professors younger than 32? Where is this university? That's pretty rare in my neck of the woods (though I'm old enough now that "young" faculty in their late 30s and early 40s look like kids anyway). I feel completely inadequate, as I didn't even finish my dissertation until I was 34. We do have a new adjunct in the department who is in his thirties though, and he's so bright-eyed, fresh and eager it makes me feel like a tired old husk.
    I'm 46, and I'm planning to return to graduate school in the fall.

Everyone in the informational meeting was obnoxiously younger than me - even the ones who started their questions with "My transcripts are going to be very old..." when it turned out their transcripts were still ten years newer than mine.
    -- Myrea
    "When it comes down to it itís always, always you and the white page. At the end of the day if the page is blank, itís won. Donít let the page win."
    Alasdair Stewart

I applaud older students returning to school at any level. I went back in my late 20s and the experience was so different than the first go-round. I had my shit together, so to speak, had mastered time management, actually did the assigned work daily, never felt the temptation to blow off a project so I could go have fun. For the first time, I was unafraid to raise my hand to ask a question. Adulting--I had it down! I can only assume a student in her mid-40s would be even more focused. You go!

Maryn, who will buy you a new pencil box and some grad-school stickers to decorate it
    "I've never had to fake sarcasm."

Brick by Brick, a mťnage ŗ trois novel (soon to be re-released)
    Taming the Wilde, FemDom spotted--and striped--in the wild
    Men in Love, anthology about--hey, you're already there, aren't you?
    Maryn Says, an irregular blog almost never about writing
    The Occasional Tweet

Quote Originally Posted by Maryn View Post
    I went back in my late 20s and the experience was so different than the first go-round. I had my shit together, so to speak, had mastered time management, actually did the assigned work daily, never felt the temptation to blow off a project so I could go have fun. For the first time, I was unafraid to raise my hand to ask a question.
    This was my exact experience, too. Back in late 20s, a lot more diligent/responsible, one of the few students who had no problem talking in tutorials and stuff. The younger students didn't quite understand that, though. I got numerous remarks about being "brave" for talking in class... Actually, talking is the entire point of tutorials.

I now have a blog.

Main WIPs

Ideas bounce around in my head Jason's Avatar
    I would love to go back and finish my PhD, but since it'd not be job related, can't swing it and don't want student loans all over again, that's a tough go. On top of that, when would I have the time? I work a job that consumes about 60 hours a week as it is, and get a few hours at the beginning and/or end of the day to surf and write bits and pieces.

Sadly, afraid I need to be independently wealthy before I can go back.
    Jason's 2018 Countdown Thread
    (password = flashed, and don't forget to read everyone else's too!)
    2017 Goals

Read 50 of these books (though at this point, prolly not gonna happen)
    Come up with a good book idea and actually write it! (also not likely to happen)

In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the Galaxy
    It is possible to learn stuff without formal education, y'know...
    Destiny Deceived - Internet serial story. Written by one of the best writers I have ever been.

"Having been an English literary graduate, I've been trying to avoid the idea of doing art ever since. I think the idea of art kills creativity. I think media are at their most interesting before anybody's thought of calling them art, when people still think they're just a load of junk"
    Douglas Adams

Ideas bounce around in my head Jason's Avatar
    Yes indeed, and I try to learn new things every day. I've got some reading and writing challenges that are definitely educational, but for me it's mostly about the sense of accomplishment at finishing the damn degree! LOL

Plus, it runs in the family, so kinda feel like a black sheep sometimes! :shrug:
    Jason's 2018 Countdown Thread
    (password = flashed, and don't forget to read everyone else's too!)
    2017 Goals

Read 50 of these books (though at this point, prolly not gonna happen)
    Come up with a good book idea and actually write it! (also not likely to happen)

Hand? What hand? AW Moderator Ol' Fashioned Girl's Avatar
    I have a long list... when you start liking things you hated when you were a kid (biscuits, cornbread, stew... and just as an aside, if I EVER start loving liver and onions, I know it's time to leave this world!)... when you give up fighting the gray (it WILL WIN. Accept it.)... when you realize you actually don't have to wear makeup anymore because it makes you look older... when you start making a list of all the things you'll never do again (like paint a ceiling, build a screen room, get up on a roof, get down on the floor voluntarily)...
    aka: OFG

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimmyB27 View Post
    It is possible to learn stuff without formal education, y'know...
    shut the front door! here i was thinkin' i knew nothing because i fled a disastrous life to take to the streets at the tender age of 16 and forego high school as one was not allowed to attend school without a fixed address. does you mean to say i still learnteded sumeting?
    **PRE-ORDER my 6th novel, PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE now! Releases February 6th, 2018! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!

I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page

I know I'm old when I try to frigging scroll through the goddamned year dropdown boxes on websites that ask for your date of birth and the White House administration changes before I get to my year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    **PRE-ORDER my 6th novel, PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE now! Releases February 6th, 2018! (LGBTQ Young Adult)

I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet

This one makes me old. Grandchild #7 and grandchild #8 will be here within the month! Now THAT'S old!

I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet

Here's a few things that let me know I'm old -
    1. I don't remember how old I am. I'm 38 but I thought I was 38 last year for some reason. Now when people ask my age, I say, "I'm 38...again."
    2. I don't want kids playing on my front lawn. All I can think of is insurance and liability if one of them gets hurt.
    3. I say things like, "Back in my day-" and have to add explanations in my personal stories from teenhood like, "This was before everyone had a cellphone-"

Quote Originally Posted by KTC View Post
    shut the front door! here i was thinkin' i knew nothing because i fled a disastrous life to take to the streets at the tender age of 16 and forego high school as one was not allowed to attend school without a fixed address. does you mean to say i still learnteded sumeting?
    Well....there's always the exception...

Douglas Adams

I buy something that costs 5.76 so hand the clerk a ten, a quarter and a penny, because I want a five dollar bill back as change. If the clerk is even thirtyish he/she will have a meltdown, holding up the whole line to stare at the penny and quarter, slack jawed and then finally, call in the supervisor to sort out this whole confounding kink I have thrown into a business day. My dad had a small business and my sibs and I were taught to count back change before we could read.

And then I have the meltdown, further holding up the line by telling the kid that we don't need computers to do everything and end by teaching a lesson on 1950s consumer math-- AND THAT is how I know I am old. --s6
    Last edited by shakeysix; 01-18-2017 at 05:51 PM.

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast