AW Amazon Affiliate Store

confused by self-publishing? Find your way to self-publishing success in just 5 easy steps with this free how-to guide!

Editing for authors: because every writer needs a good editor.

If this site is helpful to you,
Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Welcome to the AbsoluteWrite Water Cooler! Please read The Newbie Guide To Absolute Write

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: How to Know You're Old

Life Is Full Of Stories Ink-Pen-Paper's Avatar
    For fun when asked my age I tell my young questioner that I was born when Truman was president. The joy of watching their eyes roll around is worth every second of time they spend first wondering who Truman is and second the look of trying to figure out when he was president while performing the necessary arithmetic to estimate that I am old.
    My psychologist tells me I am a Millennial in a Baby Boomer body.
    Projects in work - working titles: Red Line to Shady Grove; I-595 to Annapolis; Orange Line to Metro Center

Ideas bounce around in my head Jason's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jjdebenedictis View Post
    The third time I felt old was when someone mentioned how they'd had to spend several minutes explaining to their four-year-old why the "Save" icon in Word was shaped like that. (It's gone entirely now, but it used to be shaped like a diskette, and, well...)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dennis E. Taylor View Post
    That particular icon is still used in a lot of places. I very recently told my daughter to click the icon that looks like a floppy disk (can't remember what we were doing--another sign?) and she said, "looks like a what?"
    My niece literally just asked me this the other day...*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by Lavern08 View Post
    ...When you make those grunting noises every time you get out of the car.

Don't look at me that way - You Old Poots know exactly what I'm talking about.
    I have no idea what you're talking about :eyeroll:

Quote Originally Posted by Ari Meermans View Post
    Kids.

Being old isn't about what's hurting; it's about what's not working anymore.
    Does it count if it hurts when you try to make it work but fail?

My contribution:

When you put your glasses on because it psychologically helps you hear better...

practical experience, FTW cmhbob's Avatar
    I'd tell you about the first time I felt old, but I can't remember it.

I'm 52 now. About 10 years ago during some game at home, my oldest daughter called me a senior citizen. She's now 20, and because she's a horse girl, has some aches and pains. I tease her mercilessly about that.

I'm only 6 years older than my wife, but her parents kept her somewhat sheltered from world news. OTOH, I devoured the local paper, and the Sunday copies of the regionals that my dad would get. I can bring up something that happened in the late 70s and she has no clue.

Brought my dad's old Royal typewriter home a few months ago. I had to explain to the kids how to make an explanation point, since this one didn't have that key. One of them asked where the hashtag sign was.

It did hit me hard a few months ago when my son enlisted in the Army. I pointed out to the E-7 recruiter that Adam would be reporting for Basic almost exactly 30 years after I did. The recruiter responded, "I was born in 1986." Thanks, dude.

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin WritersUnblock's Avatar
    You know you're old when talking to younger people and they don't get your references.

When you're old, recent movies you saw just the other day are actually having their twentieth anniversary.

banned as an incurable tosspot
    Quote Originally Posted by WritersUnblock View Post
    You know you're old when talking to younger people and they don't get your references.
    No, that means you are talking to someone who is relatively ignorant and is not well-read.

I was in a convenience store the other day, and my total came to something like $4.65. I actually had a five dollar bill on me so paid in cash. When the clerk went to give me change, I said, "Wait a second I might have some change in my pocket."

I did and gave her $.15 in the form of a nickel and a dime.

She looked at me like I had eight heads.

So, I asked her, "How much change is in your left hand…?"

She looked at it and had to add it to get to $.35. Then I asked her how much money I put in her other hand. She looked at it and added it up and told me $.15. So then I asked her how much change should I get she tried to hand me both piles of change.

I finally said "No, I want you to add those two piles together and tell me what the total is."

She added them up finally got to 50.

The epiphany of realizing I wanted two quarters was worth the price of my time.

Kids...
    Last edited by Jason; 01-07-2017 at 01:50 AM.
    Jason's 2018 Countdown Thread
    (password = flashed, and don't forget to read everyone else's too!)
    2017 Goals

Read 50 of these books (though at this point, prolly not gonna happen)
    Come up with a good book idea and actually write it! (also not likely to happen)

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly. Williebee's Avatar
    I've recently decided that "old" starts when you are no longer interested in learning something new, and settles in when you stop trying to learn the things you need to know.
    This morning the sun came up.
    Just like yesterday, and tomorrow.
    Face the day, not the darkness.

Quote Originally Posted by Williebee View Post
    I've recently decided that "old" starts when you are no longer interested in learning something new...
    Phew, that means I'm not old yet, but definitely means my folks are decidedly old!

.,..and settles in when you stop trying to learn the things you need to know.
    Are you sure it doesn't mean when you give up trying to remember the things you thought you knew?

2017 Goals

Come up with a good book idea and actually write it! (also not likely to happen)

The Scavengers AW Moderator regdog's Avatar
    Primus' Poster Children For Bad Life Choices
    I maintain I'm too immature to be old.

That said, it does bite my arse that my Transformers are 30 years old. I was just watching them in high school. It can't have been that long ago. IT. CAN'T.
    My Blog-Updated on 10/9/14 An Open Letter To Hasbro

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Help find Tracey Cooeedownunder's sister is missing

practical experience, FTW
    Quote Originally Posted by regdog View Post
    I maintain I'm too immature to be old.

That said, it does bite my arse that my Transformers are 30 years old. I was just watching them in high school. It can't have been that long ago. IT. CAN'T.
    regdog,

I still remember the days of snail mail, landlines and PAGERS! GASP! LOL! Imagine my age!

Stand in the Place Where You Live KTC's Avatar
    I'm 50 and I'm still mesmerized by ShELLOIL. Calculators are a kind of magic!
    **PRE-ORDER my 6th novel, PRIDE MUST BE A PLACE now! Releases February 6th, 2018! (LGBTQ Young Adult)
    Get Burn Baby Burn Baby today! Now on the 2016 In the Margins Book Awards List!

I blog
    I INSTAGRAM
    I Tweet
    I have 5 novels published. You can see them here on my Amazon Author Page

New Fish; Learning About Thick Skin
    As someone who has... done a great deal of work to separate himself from his past, I'm aware of the "lonely" factor in all this. What really marks age isn't time, so much as it is isolation; to realize you are the only one who knows something, or that your casual references are ancient. That you are alone.

Being involved in the world helps negate this factor, as it keeps your references more current; changing oneself often helps as well. Time flies when you're having fun, but also when you're stuck in a routine; routine makes our days faster because our brain simply neglects to remember us doing what we've done before. Time itself is not any faster, but our perception of it is; and perception is everything for flesh and blood humans. Kings of infinite space in nutshells, and all that.

But you can be old at any age, and here's some hope; you can be old, but you can be young again, not in terms of losing wrinkles or turning back clocks but in terms of participating again, and being part of the world, breaking open the old shell.

When you start feeling old, change something, anything. Now, even change can go wrong, as I, an admitted believer in chaos and change, must admit, so be careful. Don't have a midlife crisis- accept the life you have, but add to it. Try hot food you've never liked. Decide you'll go to a website you've never visited and just read it. Get on tumblr and just hit random until you find something you've never heard of, then become an expert on it.

It'll help more than you think.

is watching you via her avatar jjdebenedictis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by King Neptune View Post
    No, that means you are talking to someone who is relatively ignorant and is not well-read.
    No, that's a lie you tell yourself to avoid admitting you're stuck in the past and have let the bright centre of culture drift away from you.
    Twitter: jjdebenedictis
    GoodReads: jj-debenedictis

practical experience, FTW anakhouri79's Avatar
    Fisher-Price has released a line of 'retro' toys, like the old school desk, record player and telephone. I saw the phone and laughed, because my kids- and most other kids today- will have no idea how to use a ROTARY phone! I am 37 and we had a rotary phone in the house until around 1990.

Quote Originally Posted by anakhouri79 View Post
    Fisher-Price has released a line of 'retro' toys, like the old school desk, record player and telephone. I saw the phone and laughed, because my kids- and most other kids today- will have no idea how to use a ROTARY phone! I am 37 and we had a rotary phone in the house until around 1990.
    I actually am re-wiring a rotary phone so it's SIP compatible and does forking with my main office number - fun project! :-)
    2017 Goals

practical experience, FTW neandermagnon's Avatar
    When your ten-year-old is reading a book published in the 80s and comes to you, all confused, asking why someone would have 10p in their pocket in case they needed to make a phone call.

When the same child refers to the 80s as "in the olden days".
    my blog - cave people and stuff - an imaginative look at palaeolithic life: http://cavepeopleandstuff.wordpress.com/

is watching you via her avatar jjdebenedictis's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by neandermagnon View Post
    When the same child refers to the 80s as "in the olden days".
    Argh argh argh argh argh. Okay, that one hurt.
    Twitter: jjdebenedictis
    GoodReads: jj-debenedictis

Scribe of the girls in the basement Marissa D's Avatar
    New England but hankering for the old one
    Quote Originally Posted by neandermagnon View Post
    When your ten-year-old is reading a book published in the 80s and comes to you, all confused, asking why someone would have 10p in their pocket in case they needed to make a phone call.
    Which (translated to American English) means that expressions like "it's your dime" are goners...

Sit Down, and Shut Up! Lavern08's Avatar
    Speaking of the "old days" when one needed change to make a phone call...

Why hasn't someone invented/created *Cell Booths*

They're like the old-fashioned phone booths, but they have a cell phone inside - Same concept - Insert coins, make a short call - Surely not everyone in the world has a cell phone?
    Last edited by Lavern08; 01-08-2017 at 02:03 AM.
    BREAKFAST WITH LAVERN: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d9ui68rmpcw

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    Yeah, I know Ted, but Vernie is hawt nice.

Quote Originally Posted by TedTheewen View Post
    Everybody loves Lavern.

Quote Originally Posted by Haggis View Post
    I blurves me some Vernie.

Quote Originally Posted by TedTheewen View Post
    Damn, Haggis...Vernie would be upset, and nobody wants to see that.

Quote Originally Posted by Mclesh View Post
    I love you, Lavern. That is all.
    Quote Originally Posted by RNJ View Post
    Lavern! Lavern! Lavern!

If this site is helpful to you...

Please consider a voluntary subscription to defray ongoing expenses.

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    As my father used to say, "Age is just another date on the calendar." Problem is, those dates add up and so do the wrinkles and gray hairs.

One time I was talking to someone about the newer houses in town. I mentioned a house that I remembered being built not that long ago. Then I realized it was built in the late 60s.

Yep.

*stormie toddles off to her rocking chair*

How to Know You're Old
    Thighs. The skin on your thighs. That is not Young Skin.

ETA: Can someone do a male:female count on this thread? I have a theory about age...

Still three blocks from the Atlantic Ocean
    Quote Originally Posted by mccardey View Post
    Thighs. The skin on your thighs. That is not Young Skin.

<sigh> I noticed that this year when I tried on bathing suits in a department store and had my glasses on.
    Never, ever, wear eyeglasses when trying on bathing suits.

Quote Originally Posted by Alcasgra View Post
    regdog,

I still remember the days of snail mail, landlines and PAGERS! GASP! LOL! Imagine my age!
    Probably right around mine. I remember all those things too. I love my landline. They'll have to pry it from my cold, dead hands.

Anyone remember these

Stop by the Weekend Progress Report to brag about your weekly writing accomplishments

Quote Originally Posted by Lavern08 View Post
    Speaking of the "old days" when one needed change to make a phone call...

Why hasn't someone invented/created *Cell Booths*

They're like the old-fashioned phone booths, but they have a cell phone inside - Same concept - Insert coins, make a short call - Surely not everyone in the world has a cell phone?

Remember as kids going from phonebooth to phonebooth clicking the change return to get the money.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast