Trump is White America's President and Now There's Proof

Status
Not open for further replies.

nighttimer

No Gods No Masters
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
After any election it's customary to see bumper-stickers and t-shirts reading, "Don't Blame Me, I Voted For the Other Guy." Or "Other Gal" in this case for you Hillary Clinton and Jill Stein supporters.

In the case of the 2016 presidential election, there are nearly entire demographics who can rock those bumper stickers and t-shirts. Blacks, Latinos and Asians lined up en masse against Trump.

Donald Trump won the U.S. presidency with less support from black and Hispanic voters than any president in at least 40 years, a Reuters review of polling data shows, highlighting deep national divisions that have fueled incidents of racial and political confrontation.

Trump was elected with 8 percent of the black vote, 28 percent of the Hispanic vote and 27 percent of the Asian-American vote, according to the Reuters/Ipsos Election Day poll.

Among black voters, his showing was comparable to the 9 percent captured by George W. Bush in 2000 and Ronald Reagan in 1984. But Bush and Reagan both did far better with Hispanic voters, capturing 35 percent and 34 percent, respectively, according to exit polling data compiled by the non-partisan Roper Center for Public Opinion Research.

And Trump’s performance among Asian-Americans was the worst of any winning presidential candidate since tracking of that demographic began in 1992.

Though Trump’s election victory was driven by white voters, his performance even among that group was not as strong as some of his predecessors. Reagan and George H.W. Bush both won the presidency with higher shares of the white vote than the 55 percent that Trump achieved.

The historical voting patterns reflect decades of polarization in American politics, but the division surrounding Trump appears more profound, says Cas Mudde, an associate professor specializing in political extremism at the University of Georgia. These days, he adds, “people say they don’t want their children even to date someone from the other party.”

Trump's pitch to Black voters was they should support him because, "What do you have to lose?" They obviously decided a helluva lot and Asians and Latinos agreed, however White voters decided exactly the opposite.

Trump beat Clinton among white women 53 percent to 43 percent. This was close to Romney’s margin in 2012. While Mr. Obama won 35 percent of white, male voters in 2012, Clinton lost to Trump among this group by 63 percent to 31 percent.

As expected, Trump did best among white voters without a college degree, beating Clinton by the enormous margin of 72 percent to 23 percent. Trump also won among white, non-college women 62 to 34 percent and white college-educated men, 54 to 39 percent. Among white voters, Clinton only won among women with a college degree by a 51 to 45 percent margin.

You can't blame Trump's win on under-educated Whites because the well-educated Whites supported him too and you definitely can't blame voters of color because they barely supported Trump at all. Race mattered in this election and Whites, defying the impending demographic shifts, reasserted their power at the voting booth as Clinton failed to energize the Obama Coalition to turn out in numbers to carry her to victory.

Enter Trump and exit whatever we thought was conventional political wisdom. Welcome to the Pottery Barn theory of politics where "if you break it, you bought it."

So, White folks...happy yet? :hooray::cry::Thumbs::e2shrug::e2thud::e2cry::e2bummed::yessmiley:gaah

AW Admin

Administrator
Registered
Reaction score
What's your point nighttimer? Other than venting your spleen, which while understandable, does nothing for anything but your ego.

Nor is it fair; Clinton won the popular vote by over 2 million and counting.

You're doing a great job of fanning flames and generating hostility—which, again, doesn't make anything better.

I have neither the time nor the desire to engage in a circular and predictable "I know you are, what am I?" discussion.

Mac may open this later, and you're welcome to ask her to.

I've got things to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.