scavenger animals in an Asian city?

dinky_dau

Cowabunga!
Registered
Reaction score
Just 'noodling' on a story and wondered if anyone has any personal familiarity with urban 'wildlife' in any of the big Asian metropolises.

I've traveled in Asia but always avoided the big megalopolises. How do the scavengers there differ from the same environments in the west?

No, don't 'do my work for me'--I already have a working list--just wondering if I can add any further species I may have overlooked. Thank you!

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Asia is big. In parts of South East Asia (I'm thinking towns and suburbs rather than big cities) the monkeys are prime scavengers. They have a massive talent for it. Also the cats (which are tailless in Malaysia).

Mostly, though - rats.

Last edited:

dinky_dau

Cowabunga!
Registered
Reaction score
That's an excellent reminder. I hadn't even considered this angle (I dislike apes and monkeys) and its exactly what I need. I didn't see a single monkey in my touring; wrong part of the region. Thank you very much!

Last edited:

mccardey

Self-Ban
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Feral dogs?
Depends which part of Asia. From what little I've seen, the Muslim and majority-Muslim countries have fewer dogs because they're fairly unpopular. Parts of India seemed to be awash with dogs a few years ago - but that might have been mostly my fear of rabies - and for scavengers, you couldn't beat cows and goats.

But mostly rats.

Last edited:

Albedo

Alex
Registered
Reaction score
Depends which part of Asia. From what little I've seen, the Muslim and majority-Muslim countries have fewer dogs because they're fairly unpopular. Parts of India seemed to be awash with dogs a few years ago - but that might have been mostly my fear of rabies - and for scavengers, you couldn't beat cows and goats.

But mostly rats.
There's a sad reason for the dogs. Vultures were hugely important as scavengers in the subcontinent, until the Asian Vulture Crisis nearly wiped them out. It turns out using huge quantities of human pharmaceuticals for non-medical reasons in agriculture has unintended consequences. I mean beyond just total antibiotic resistance and other minor issues. Boom, the vulture population collapsed by 99%, feral dogs took over Indian cities, and yep, rabies exploded.

Last edited:

Helix

socially distancing
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
snailseyeview.medium.com
The decline in vultures is appalling.

I'd imagine that (in some places) biawaks might be scavengers. I've encountered them on field work in Malaysia and Indonesia, but that was on islands rather than in cities. They are worse than bloody bin chickens.